Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tony Banks--A Chord Too Far

Tony Banks--A Chord Too Far

http://prog.teamrock.com/news/2015-0...-chord-too-far

Details of the Tony Banks box set due plus tracklisting

Box will be called "A Chord Too Far" and released in July

Catalogue will follow.

Tony has full involvement with us on this project .

From one who bought the gorgeous "A Curious..." Box set in '09, will there more surprises with this release in the fall???

Wow! Did not see that coming. Wonderful news.

Here's hoping Lion of Symmetry will be one of the remixed tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    From one who bought the gorgeous "A Curious..." Box set in '09, will there more surprises with this release in the fall???
    I dont think so apart from the fact we will make the CD/DVD available again, although not as a digipack. The limited edition digipack sold out quickly and we could have sold considerably more at the time than we calculated when announcing the number of copies being made available.

Good news. Tony's stuff has always been very erratically available over the period I've been a Genesis fan.

Any chance of 'Smallcreeps Day' and 'Acting Very Strange' next?

Suspended
    That's a great set for anyone who doesn't have the albums. I already have ACF, Still, Strictly Inc and the two classical albums so i probably wouldn't get value out of this.

Only Seventeen is a glaring omission though. I would have included that in place of, say, Throwback or Charity Balls.

It also omits the two best songs from ACF: The Lie, and Somebody Else's Dream. But that's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Good news. Tony's stuff has always been very erratically available over the period I've been a Genesis fan.

Any chance of 'Smallcreeps Day' and 'Acting Very Strange' next?
    ^^^Smallcreeps Day would be sublime and long overdue!

Wonderful news, indeed. Although I won't buy a 4CD-set just because of 4 unreleased tracks (I already own everything else). I rather wish he would release a box-set of hitherto unreleased material, that would be an autobuy for me. One can dream...

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    It also omits the two best songs from ACF: The Lie, and Somebody Else's Dream. But that's just my opinion.
    I guess they were too progressive....

Personally I don't like the random tracklisting, but I do like the cover

Well Tony is a keys god---but I have most of this and a revisited version would be more interesting and great with Hackett and Longdon. As if...

exciting news. i missed the curious feeling release from awhile back and have regretted it ever since.

I presume various single edits and remixes will be bonus tracks? I have a few from fugitive and bankstatement on vinyl would be nice to be able to retire those.

I thought Soundtracks was finally going to get the remaster treatment (not that it sounds bad), but seeing that only five tracks from that album appear in this set, I'll be holding on to my very OOP CD.

Tony's music has always been very close to my heart, for his chords and melodies. Love the title, btw.

Glad there's at least one completely new track (Poppet) and 'Kit Taken' must be new, or at least a variation of 'Kit' from 'The Wicked Lady'. Disappointed that 'Arpegg' is not included but this probably still needs the expense of actually being recorded in the studio, since there evidently is no recording of the performance of it in June 2014.

Why waste time on this rubbish when he is sat on a treasure trove of unreleased Genesis rehearsals and outtakes - (much of which is in the public domain)

The 5 hours of Lamb sessions would be a good place to start: Tidy them up, mix Steve out, design a shit cover and you're sorted.
    Making Wikipedia marginally more interesting at:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCul...PXchSo_vDxtcLg

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    That's a great set for anyone who doesn't have the albums. I already have ACF, Still, Strictly Inc and the two classical albums so i probably wouldn't get value out of this.

Only Seventeen is a glaring omission though. I would have included that in place of, say, Throwback or Charity Balls.

Funny how we all have our favorites. Mine are 'After The Lie', the three instrumentals, and 'You'. My all time least favorite in Tony's catalogue is 'Back To Back', with 'Queen of Darkness' not far behind. They are both on the box, but so are most of my favorites such as 'An Island In The Darkness', 'Blade', 'After The Lie', 'Thirty Threes' and 'Another Murder of a Day'. I will buy this because I crave new music from Banks, and for him will actually spend money I don't have for one new track

biggest omission for me is charm. love the sort of chintzy sound of that one.

Suspended
    ^^ Back to Back always makes me think of that song "I Eat Cannibals". It's not one of my favourites either.

The catalogue will all be done separately and as far as Im aware that will be every title. Tony has chosen the tracks and cover personally and was interviewed this week for Cherry Red TV (Mark tells me its excellent)

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    The catalogue will all be done separately and as far as Im aware that will be every title. Tony has chosen the tracks and cover personally and was interviewed this week for Cherry Red TV (Mark tells me its excellent)
    Nice! I'm glad to hear this news.

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    Best of luck on these releases, Vicky. It'd be great if sales were respectable enough to maybe even prompt him to consider something new.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Looking forward to the reissue of The Wicked Lady...

Yes I'm surprised 'Somebody Else's Dream' never made it- that has a superb vocal performance and that doomy climax is one of the best things he ever put to tape IMHO. But then I think that album is a masterpiece.

Already have all the CD's, would snap up new prog material in a New York minute, don't really see the need for this. I don't quite understand how someone as brilliant as Tony can just stop writing, he must have tons of stuff new and old lying around, I'd give my eyeteeth to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    Already have all the CD's, would snap up new prog material in a New York minute, don't really see the need for this. I don't quite understand how someone as brilliant as Tony can just stop writing, he must have tons of stuff new and old lying around, I'd give my eyeteeth to hear it.
    I don't think its possible for Tony to stop writing. But writing, and recording are different matters. I think he once said he had 10 cds worth of unrecorded material, or something like that, and that was many years ago. Yeah, I sure wish he would record some new stuff. So starved for new Banks music, I'll buy a whole box set for one new song and 3 new versions. Though it'll be nice to hear what is remixed