Thread: Zappa-The Lost Episodes

Zappa-The Lost Episodes

Just wondering what people think of this compilation album that Frank put together of unreleased? tracks.
    Opinions ?
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Just as an aside, i went into Sunrise Records the other day and was so proud to see 2 1/2 rows of Zappa cds. Just thinking of how many new fans there will be as a result of all his catalogue being re-issued.
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

This is one I've never picked up. Any reason I should seek it out?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    This is one I've never picked up. Any reason I should seek it out?
    I was wondering the same thing. I just saw it as being part of the re-issues and wanted some opinions.
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Fun stuff. Much of it--about the first half, in terms of number of tracks--is early, pre-Mothers of Invention recordings. Only a couple of tracks date from later than the mid-'70s. There's a certain amount of overlap with Mystery Disc. Beware, a number of the tracks are spoken word, including a couple of hilarious recitations by Captain Beefheart from the Trout Mask era, one of them subjected to Synclavier treatments in 1992. There are a couple of long jams by the Hot Rats band with Sugarcane Harris, some terrific too-short tracks by the '73 band that kick the shit out of Over-Nite Sensation, and a fascinating, almost Krautrockish experiment in overdubbed synths from 1978, like nothing else Zappa ever released.

I can't recommend this unless you are a Zappa collector. The highlights are some circa 72 versions of Inca Roads, RDNZL, Kung Fu and an early short version of Grand Wazoo. There's a 12 minute version of Sharleena with a lengthy jamming section. And there's a single version of I Don't Wanna Get Drafted. Aside from those, there are very early recordings including his high school band playing one of his early compositions along with other odds and ends that don't add up to much.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    an early short version of Grand Wazoo.
    Actually this track has nothing to do with the other "Grand Wazoo"; it's one of the Captain Beefheart spoken-word pieces.

The re-telling of how many boogers ended up on some landlady's window is almost enough to make you lose your lunch. RDNZL is awesome. Btw, am I the only one who thinks that was taken from an automatic transmission indicator? It could just as easily be: PRNDL.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Actually this track has nothing to do with the other "Grand Wazoo"; it's one of the Captain Beefheart spoken-word pieces.
    Accompanied by a later-composed synclavier piece, which half disqualifies it as early, too.

After hearing these once, I never needed to hear them again:

"Ronnie Sings?" – 1:05
    "Kenny's Booger Story" – 0:33
    "Ronnie's Booger Story" – 1:16
    "The Dick Kunc Story" – 0:46
    "Cops & Buns" – 2:36
    "I Don't Wanna Get Drafted" – 3:24

Aside from that, I like everything else.

Sharleena is awesome on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Oops, you are right. Sorry about that.

i love this CD, got it when it came out in the late 90s (early 00s?). I think it SOUNDS great, which is very nice.

Also justa great jump thru several years of Zappa, and some good CC: clues. Yes, a bit much of he spoken stuff, but NOTHING as torturous as that CD Gail released with "The Purse", which like all this spoken stuff, should been a free download track at zappa.com

re: RDNZL and car transmission (reverse, drive, neutral etc...) Yes that's been discussed at length on the zappa forum. But always good to bring it up for those who haven't noticed...

I'm listening right now to the recently released FINER MOMENTS..worthy of a thread in fact...

Quote Originally Posted by MoonK9 View Post
    Sharleena is awesome on this.
    Recorded during the Hot Rats sessions w/ Sugarcane Harris on violin & vocals.
    12 minute deluxe version with killer solos and horn section.

Also love RDNZL w/ JL Ponty and Bruce Fowler.

I LOVE this release. The sound is amazing, and as a Zappa fanatic it has some terrific gems. The most beautiful Anyway the Wind Blows is on here, as well as a knockout Sharleena. Plus you get Kung Fu and lots of early nuggets. A favorite for me, highly recommended.
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

It's worth it if you are a Zappa fan, I think. If you've just flirted with his discography, then I'd check out some of the other stuff first.

Quote Originally Posted by Lieto View Post
    I LOVE this release. The sound is amazing, and as a Zappa fanatic it has some terrific gems. The most beautiful Anyway the Wind Blows is on here, as well as a knockout Sharleena. Plus you get Kung Fu and lots of early nuggets. A favorite for me, highly recommended.
    Thanks to everyone who posted ! Yeah this sounds like something worth having and i do have whack of his music.
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

I think the real gems of this collection are the Run Home Slow bits, a score he did for a movie. Beautiful compositions by this brilliant guy in what, high school? To me, they were worth the price of the whole set.