Thread: FEATURED CD - A.C.T. : Last Epic

FEATURED CD - A.C.T. : Last Epic

Per Joakim Jahlmar on DPRP:
    "I just hope I will not have to wait two more years for my next dose." - I wrote those words in 2001 when reviewing A.C.T's second CD Imaginary Friends, and now... ironically (and finally) two years later I sit here with Last Epic, the band's latest achievement. And it is another achievement.

Whereas Imaginary Friends took A.C.T a bit further in the sense that it felt more like a unified album than Today's Report, its fantastic but somewhat straggly (because of the obvious mix of new and old material) predecessor, Last Epic truly takes the band to the next level, in my opinion. Not so much that the music is better - I like all their albums equally much - but it is different, more together, following a much clearer line; which one could argue is necessary, considering the fact that it is a concept album.

Like the last time (but to a greater extent), A.C.T is backed up by The Acting Orchestra, which this time consists of Stefan Pöntinen (violin 1), Kajse-Lotta Soleke (violin 2), Malin Wikblad (viola) and Per Tidstrand (cello). This little quartet gets quite a bit of space, not only in the actual songs, but in the very brief instrumental interludes included at the end of some tracks (e.g. Garden and Attic). It is also pleasant to see that Tomas Erlandsson (their ex-drummer) has chipped in with some percussion. Not that Thomas Lejon (Erlandsson's replacement since just after the previous album) does a bad job. Far from it. If anything, this album testifies that Lejon is precisely what A.C.T needs (and I had no doubt after having seen the man in action twice - not to mention heard him play with Andromeda).

As for the music (which is sometimes linked between tracks and sometimes not), it is another full platter of A.C.T, so the fans will not be disappointed. And for anyone not yet acqainted with Sweden's, in my opinion, best band in the genre, this album is as good a starting point as any. Heavy elements are mixed with soft ones and funny bits are included, which is basically part of A.C.T's trademark by now. Not to mention the beautiful harmonies that permeates the album. Herman Saming (lead and backing vocals) remains one of my favourite Swedish singers (all categories included), and his comrades, Jerry Sahlin (keyboards, vocoder, lead and backing vocals), Ola Andersson (guitars, lead and backing vocals) and Peter Asp (bass guitar, backing vocals, percussion), also have excellent voices (though Saming is in a league of his own, sorry guys!). Clear references, as always, would be ELO, Queen, some Valensia, IQ, Arena, Saga, etc. It could also be mentioned here that the band is actually touring Europe currently as support act for Saga.

Favourite tracks on the album, so far, would be the heavy tracks Mr. Landlord and Manipulator (both of which I had the opportunity to hear live last autumn already), Wake Up with its great back beat and slight reggae feel, and The Observer, which is actually a remake of the track Recall from their demo (which was finally re-released on CD with two live recorded bonus tracks late last year with the title [The Early Recordings]). Since Recall has always been a favourite of mine, from the moment I first heard it live in 1997 and bought the demo on tape, I am very pleased by seeing it included here (I missed it on Today's Report onto which two of the other demo tracks made it) and it has definitely been well integrated and does by no means feel disparate in any way from the rest of the material.

I would also like to compliment Peter Asp and John The Fisherman on their cover and sleeve design. I never liked the covers of the two previous albums, but this one looks great (especially the sleeve). Only things that disturb me is the misprint in the lyrics for Wake Up, where verse two is printed twice at the expense of verse three, and some sloppiness in the proof reading. But those are merely details.

So... all in all, A.C.T has definitely done it again! Whether you are already a fan or not, if you are into this sort of music and do not already own the album: What the heck are you waiting for?!

And now once more, "I just hope I will not have to wait two more years for my next dose." But if so... I am sure A.C.T will make it worth my while waiting. They have definitely earned my faith and support in that area.
    This - and 3 other full reviews - here: http://www.dprp.net/reviews/200314.html

Regards,

Duncan

I Love A.C.T, reminds me of City Boy also.

The best A.C.T album. Every song is solid and the string quartet just adds to the cinematic nature of the music. "Wailings from a Building" is still my favorite of all the songs.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Listening now... and liking! Thanks, Duncan!

Pretty much every A.C.T album is quite solid with very little I would discard, but if you were only going to have one, this would probably be it.
    <sig out of order>

Their best album, IMO.

A band I've always had high on my wish list for a US festival appearance. Personally, I'm glad they are back from their hiatus.

strangely tho... looking at their catalogue this one seems to be an odd out rather than norm. Awesome from start to stop. later efforts couldn't even come close.

I haven't heard the latest one, but I thought Silence was great.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I haven't heard the latest one, but I thought Silence was great.
    "Circus Pandemonium" is pretty decent too. My main complaint is the unpleasant "dialogue" in between a couple of the songs, and the final song being somewhat anticlimactic.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    "Circus Pandemonium" is pretty decent too. My main complaint is the unpleasant "dialogue" in between a couple of the songs, and the final song being somewhat anticlimactic.
    I'll probably get it in time, but there seem to be too many other priorities right now. The dialog part isn't encouraging though...maybe it could be edited out?
    <sig out of order>

In 2003 I was turned onto this band as well as IZZ. No year since has given me TWO lifetime artists to love and autobuy like that year did. The Lazst Epic may in fact be their best, but I hear tremendous maturity in Silence that carries over, along with a return to this sort of intensity, to Circus Pandemonium. So it's a trajectory of quality, compositional surprises galore, just the way I like my prog/rock.

Every disc is a grower, and they seem to have hooks to spare, agree in the addition of Thomas Lejon, who is the best kept secret in prog drumming, quite spectacular. Last Exit was a great step, Silence also will get it's hooks in you. And a big two thumbs for the most recent Circus Pandemonium, which has some fantastic musical moments. For me ACT is like that ice cream you can't stop eating.

love them .last epic and circus pandemonium are masterpieces to my ears,but i really like all their albums

My favorite of theirs and one of the few "NEO" releases that keeps me interested throughout.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Their best and it's not even close (IMHO)
    The Prog Corner

Definitely one of my favorite albums...lots of hidden elements of backward loops and a hidden track....if you have the original edition of the album start the album on a CD player hit pause and rewind to the hidden track... Which is the string intro..

AP