Thread: A challenge

A challenge

I bet you can't list 20 bands without someone on this forum claiming at least one of them as semi-prog, proto-prog etc. at some point in their career.

There is one condition though, you have to stick to one style e.g. pop, rock, synth, punk, soul, r & b, rap, R & R, folk, fusion, indie, jazz, metal, new wave, hard rock, reggae, ska etc. No mixing.

I'm going to have a crack at it anyway

PUNK

The Clash
    Sex Pistols
    X Ray Spex
    Anti Nowhere League
    Generation X
    Social Distortion
    Crass
    Cockney Rejects
    The Business
    The 4 Skins
    Sham 69
    Cock Sparrer
    Chelsea
    Charge
    GBH
    Oi! Polloi!
    Last Resort
    Plasmatics
    The Exploited

(Notice how I cleverly didn't mention The Damned or The Stranglers both of whom had their proggy moments in the early 80s.)

Right, so that's punk taken. Your turn!

Suspended
    Well, I don't know if anything by The Clash could be called progressive, but some of the stuff on Sandinista! sure as hell isn't straight punk. And you say yes, it's ska, or reggae, or dub, other genres they were known to dabble in... but then there's a waltz... and a gospel chant. And what the fuck is Mensforth Hill? (Don't worry, I'm not going to claim it's prog or semi-prog.)

I'd go for disco. I'm sure there are far more than 20 disco "bands" that no one could claim as prog, but the problem is I know the names of hardly any of them.