Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Who

The Who

I'd like some feedback on whether I should listen to certain Who albums or stick with Pete Townshend's solo stuff. I like/love some Who songs but I can take or leave Roger Daltrey's voice (and in live footage, I find his mannerisms onstage to be incredibly annoying). I do like Townshend's voice & he's interesting to watch. At the same time, as long as I like the music, I can probably tolerate Daltrey's voice.

the only Who album I ever bought was It's Hard, and only for Eminence Front. Haven't even listened to the rest of it. Years ago I had a copy of Scoop, which I really liked most of. This morning I listened to the first few minutes of Tommy, and really liked what I heard.

so...what can you recommend?

The Who-Sell Out, is their masterpiece. For Townshend, I would suggest Empty Glass.

Tommy, Who's Next & Quadrophenia!
    Daltrey's the best front man I've ever seen.
    If there's one band I wish I had seen in their prime, it's The Who!!!!

Townsends masterpiece is All Cowboys have Chinese Eyes. Not a dud on it!

The Who are one of my favorite bands of all time. For me, their 3 album run of “Tommy”, “Who’s Next” and “Quadrophenia” ranks right up with the best triple play of any band in the history of rock. Bottom line off the top of my head of the one’s I own I would rate them:

1. Quadrophenia (It is hard for me to imagine a prog fan not liking this album)
    2. Who’s Next (not a weak track on it)
    3. Tommy (one of the first great concept albums. Has it’s flaws, but still great)
    4. Who Are You
    5. Sell Out
    6. It’s Hard
    7. By Numbers
    8. Face Dances
    9. Endless Wire

Suspended
    I don't even think Eminence Front is the best song on It's Hard. I give that gong to I've Known No War.

Quadrophenia (which I don't have) is the one that seems to get the most acclaim, followed by Who's Next (which I do have, and recommend). Sell Out is also good - a genuinely funny record that also has great tunes.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I don't even think Eminence Front is the best song on It's Hard. I give that gong to I've Known No War.

I would nominate "Cry If You Want" as the best song from that album. Great powerful tune. Got to see them do it live once and when Pete was hitting those power chords at the end it almost blew the roof off the place. I would agree "Known No War" is another great track from an overall rather average Who album.

Quote Originally Posted by florentine pogen View Post
    The Who-Sell Out, is their masterpiece.
    I haven't heard all of their albums, but of the ones I have heard, that's my favorite. Great tunes (especially "Tattoo") and the faux radio commercials are hilarious!

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I haven't heard all of their albums, but of the ones I have heard, that's my favorite. Great tunes (especially "Tattoo") and the faux radio commercials are hilarious!
    "What's for tea, darling?"
    (long pause)
    "Darling, I said what's for tea?"

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Actually, I thought Entwistle's songs, Dangerous and One Is Enough, were the best tunes on It's Hard. Between that and his playing on the other songs, he's really the reason to own It's Hard. Unfortunately, that was the last album where we got to hear that amazing Thunderfingers bass sound, because subsequent recordings he did, he has this really nasty, thin, distorted tone (apparently the result of hearing loss, he just couldn't tell how bad his bass tone was in later years).

For me, The Who By Numbers is essential listening. Some of Townshend's best songs (and one of his most annoying) are on that are record. Entwistle turns in the great Success Story. And the whole band just plays awesome throughout the record.

'Live at Leeds' and turn the volume all the way up !!! One of the best live albums ever !

Tommy is great, but could have been shorther / more focused.

Love their older albums. From 'Who's Next' and forth I lost interest.

Check the drums when they come in 0:45

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Daltrey's the best front man I've ever seen.
    I'm sorry to hear that

I hanging out with Steve and listening to The Who (except I'll exit when The Endless Wire come on. That album never convinced me, it seems to anemic to me).

On a side note, I was supposed to see The Who tonight, but they've cancelled some Midwest dates as Daltrey has a sore throat.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Actually, I thought Entwistle's songs, Dangerous and One Is Enough, were the best tunes on It's Hard. Between that and his playing on the other songs, he's really the reason to own It's Hard. Unfortunately, that was the last album where we got to hear that amazing Thunderfingers bass sound, because subsequent recordings he did, he has this really nasty, thin, distorted tone (apparently the result of hearing loss, he just couldn't tell how bad his bass tone was in later years).

For me, The Who By Numbers is essential listening. Some of Townshend's best songs (and one of his most annoying) are on that are record. Entwistle turns in the great Success Story. And the whole band just plays awesome throughout the record.
    I would agree Entwistle's songs on "It's Hard" are some of his best. In fact I think his songs are also the highlight of "Face Dances" too. I have to go back and listen to "It's Hard". The more I read this thread the more I remember liking songs from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    'Live at Leeds' and turn the volume all the way up !!! One of the best live albums ever !

]
    How could I forget "Live At Leads"! Yes, a classic live album if there ever was one.

I think all the albums from 1965-73 are essential, plus a collection is necessary- that new one 'The Who Hits Back' will fit the bill, it has the expected hits alongside some harder-to-find ones like 'Dogs' and 'Relay'.

I rather enjoyed 'The Who By Numbers' when I played it again earlier in the year. 'Who Are You' is OK. 'Face Dances', 'It's Hard' and 'Endless Wire' are best left to the completists really.

Sadly their catalogue is in disarray, too many remixes and for reasons best known to themselves various songs (mostly B-sides) were left off their 90s releases and the deluxe editions.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I would nominate "Cry If You Want" as the best song from that album. Great powerful tune.
    There are a few really dodgy lyrics in there, and for me that slightly spoils the emotional impact of what should be an absolutely devastating tune (capping off an otherwise rather lame album, at least by Who standards). I've never quite understood the love for the monotonous "Eminence Front," which is hardly a song at all--more just a groove.

Sell Out is my all-time sentimental favorite. Love that one to death.

'Sell Out' is their first masterpiece...that was one where the remix is superb and the one I heard first, although I like having the original too (despite a terrible edit on 'Rael'!). The sad thing is some of their compilations, including the latest, tend to only ever feature 'I Can See For Miles' from that yet have about 3 or 4 songs from each of their mediocre 80s albums.

'It's Hard' isn't good- I think 'Eminence Front' is the best thing on it by miles, though 'I've Known No War' isn't bad. 'Athena' and 'It's Hard' are duds IMHO, and they were chosen as singles! At least the production is less fussy than its predecessor 'Face Dances'.

Tommy, Quadrophenia, Live at Leeds.

Quadrophenia is a must for any prog fan and probably the best vocals Daltrey ever turned in.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

The Who has been and still is one of my 3 favorite bands of all time (Steely Dan & Love). My 3 favorite Who albums are Quadro, Sell Out & Next. "I Can't Reach You" from Sell Out is one of my top 5 Who tunes.

I really like Live At Leeds, but the frequency of Daltrey's flat singing keeps me from calling it great.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    There are a few really dodgy lyrics in there, and for me that slightly spoils the emotional impact of what should be an absolutely devastating tune (capping off an otherwise rather lame album, at least by Who standards). I've never quite understood the love for the monotonous "Eminence Front," which is hardly a song at all--more just a groove.

Sell Out is my all-time sentimental favorite. Love that one to death.
    Mmm....... I have always liked the lyrics to the song and think they go well with the music:

"Once it was just innocence
    Brash ideas and insolence
    But you will never get away
    With the things you say today

But you can try if you want

Dont' you get embarrassed when you read the precious things you said
    Many many years ago when life appeared rosy red
    No one ever shared your bed
    Nothing ever filled your head
    Except yourself and little Ted
    And scary dreams that you were dead.
    Don't you want to hide your face
    When going through your teenage books
    And read the kind of crap you wrote
    About "Ban the Bomb" and city crooks
    Think about how long it took
    To get over that sudden "Yuk"
    When in the mirror you would look
    Well now my son you're well in stook

Cry if you want
    Cry if you want

Didn't you writh in anger when you saw the man in his big car
    Didn't you drive a banger and a gallon didn't get you far
    Should have been a famous star
    But that ain't what you really are
    You could shout your last harrah
    While they are propping up the bar
    Maybe things were better then
    Before you led a promised life
    Rash commitements and heavy raps and left wing spiel all compromised
    You fall in love with other's wives
    Drive 'em nuts with empty lies
    Angry 'cos you lost the prize
    Forgot the color of their eyes.

Cry if you want
    Cry if you wnat

Let your tears flow
    Let your past go

Don't you get embarrassed when you think about the way you were
    Yesterday the day before when you were young with much to learn
    Aren't you glad it's your last term
    No more acting lowly worm
    You can make the suckers squirm
    When you tell them how much you earn
    Don't you feel ashamed at all the bitterness you keep inside
    Does your ego save your face "I had a go - I really tried"
    Now you know your leaders lied
    Does it stop you acting snide
    Or are you still a boy that cried
    Tears now surely long since dried.

Cry if you want
    Cry if you want"

I'm a fan i'm a fan but my ma won't admit it
    I'm a fan i'm a fan but if i say i am i get it

I just found out today they have cancelled the St Louis show for thursday night. goddammit!!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I'd like some feedback on whether I should listen to certain Who albums or stick with Pete Townshend's solo stuff. I like/love some Who songs but I can take or leave Roger Daltrey's voice (and in live footage, I find his mannerisms onstage to be incredibly annoying). I do like Townshend's voice & he's interesting to watch. At the same time, as long as I like the music, I can probably tolerate Daltrey's voice.

the only Who album I ever bought was It's Hard, and only for Eminence Front. Haven't even listened to the rest of it. Years ago I had a copy of Scoop, which I really liked most of. This morning I listened to the first few minutes of Tommy, and really liked what I heard.

so...what can you recommend?
    What are Daltrey's mannerisms? Not sure I've ever noticed them.

Is spinning the microphone a stage move or a mannerism? Either way I find it cool.

Several years ago there was a production of the Wizard of Oz done with a full orchestra and a variety of musicians in the classic roles. Jewel played Dorothy, Nathan Lane was the Cowardly Lion, Jackson Browne was the Scarecrow, and Daltrey did the Tin Woodman. It was pretty entertaining. I think I saw it on VH1 or HBO. When Roger made his entrance the first time he did a quick microphone spin and there was this bestial roar from the crowd. Jackson Browne said later that every single dad in the audience dumped the kid they were holding in their lap, stood up, and screamed "The Who!"
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

For those that know me here on the forum know that Im not a big Who fan whatsoever.....With that said, its not like they dont have anything I don't like but I have to filter a lot. I DO like a LOT of their early poppier singles and I'll even go on to say that I really like the songs "Kids are Alright" and "I Can't Explain"........

as far as albums, I do like "Who's Next" --- as SteveSly said above: "Not really a weak track on it"
    "Quadrophenia" and "Tommy" are also both fun listens but nothing i pick up regularly

I like Entwistle's solo album "Too Late the Hero" and Townsend's "All the best cowboys have Chines Eyes" solo album

everything else I can take or leave