Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accept - Blind Rage

Accept - Blind Rage

I forgot now which bloke it was on PE that got me into this band. A few years ago someone started a thread about this German, metal band. I was familiar with the name, and the big hit (Balls To The Wall) but they were kind of obscure. I got the first album with Mark Tornillo (Blood Of The Nations) and it just kicked me in the balls. I went on a binge and got "Balls To The Wall" and "Stalingrad" (in other words, I got whatever I could find by Accept in the stores). So last week I'm at Best Buy, intending to look for the Kansas documentary DVD that everyone's salivating over. We all know that Best Buy bites the big one when it comes to buying music but to my surprise I saw this new album by Accept. I didn't like the sticker price, $16.99 but it comes with a concert DVD, and it was the only copy in the store so I snatched it up.

It's more of the same. If you've heard Blood Of The Nations and Stalingrad, and liked those albums you'll probably like Blind Rage. Not sure how to describe Accept's sound. The guitars are furious, Mark wails like a banshee. They're relentless. They're melodic but all the songs are in minor keys. They sound very European. Lots of songs about history, violence, politics. Yeah, I can hear the peanut gallery saying "well duh dood, they're German, har har har." Yeah, they're a German band, based now in New Jersey.... Lead singer Mark Tornillo is American, from New Jersey no less.

Anyway, as predictable as this album is, if you're familiar with the previous two albums I think it kicks, rock balls. What I love about their guitars is that they're crunchy and ballsy, but not too down tuned. It's a classic, metal sound. And what can you say about Wolf Hoffman. He's the coolest looking, bald guy with a Flying V I've ever seen. The DVD of the concert is worth the price of admission alone. I'm glad I bought this set. Highly recommended to classic, heavy metal fans.

C'mon Accept fans. Where y'at?

I like Accept but I've never ventured into anything without Udo. No one could snarl homoerotic imagery like that little guy.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Watching the DVD again, live in Santiago, Chile.

God this guys gallop and rock like horses.

NP: Restless And Wild

It’s possible that it might have been me as I remember starting a thread about “Blood Of Nations” when it came out. I still think it was one hell of a comeback album for these guys. I have not picked up the new one yet, but this reminds me that I need to get it. I only saw the band live once when Udo was still at the helm. They opened for Dio and pretty much kicked ass.

I'm glad I got the set with the DVD. The stars of this DVD are Wolf and Peter (the bassist). These guys have to be around my age, or older and they play like young kids full of piss and vinegar. The album proper is good, but like I said it's just more of the same. Nothing really stands out, no big hooks that grab you. I'd love to see this band. I'm sure they probably play clubs in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I like Accept but I've never ventured into anything without Udo. No one could snarl homoerotic imagery like that little guy.
    You should try post-Udo Accept, you might like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I'm sure they probably play clubs in the US.
    So far they are just touring Europe this year. When they do tour the U.S. it is usually at the club level, unless they are pairing up with another band or doing festivals. They have not played around me in years.

Yeah I noticed most of their dates this year are in Europe, mostly in Germany. Would love to see this band. I hope they come to South Florida before they call it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    C'mon Accept fans. Where y'at?
    No Udo = No Accept
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Cheers

Saw Accept a few months ago, far better without Udo. Also saw U.D.O last year, good music, good band, but Udo's voice is shot to hell, he can't even talk properly nowadays without sounding like Donald Duck.

I have all three albums with Tornillo and this guy has injected new life into this band, great balsy music, I agree they're samey in sound but it's great music to drive late at night and you can't stop for coffee.
    I live in an ephemeral eternity

Yeah great driving music. Love those guitars. They slice through concrete. I know they're kind of monotone/samey but they sound so good I never get tired of them.

Just testing how to copy and post an image. Ever since I switched to Google Chrome it's a little trickier.

By the way, I didn't know Bruce Willis played guitar with Accept.....

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    It’s possible that it might have been me as I remember starting a thread about “Blood Of Nations” when it came out. I still think it was one hell of a comeback album for these guys. I have not picked up the new one yet, but this reminds me that I need to get it. I only saw the band live once when Udo was still at the helm. They opened for Dio and pretty much kicked ass.
    It might've been you but I seem to recall that it was a European member. Thanks anyway, whoever it was that got me into this group. I'm still enjoying the hell out of the new album and DVD. Rock on!

So why did Udo leave the band? I guess if his voice is not what it was it's a gain for the band but still, lil' fucker was something else. First time I ever heard them was on a flight landing in Vegas. I had my Walkman and I decided to see if I could pick up any FM station. Spinning through the stations I settled on when when I heard some righteous power chords. Then that voice kicked in. Once that bridge started my jaw dropped. "Let's put a bomb up everyone's ass". I was going nuts. What the hell is this, who the hell is this? I kept my Walkman locked on that station the whole weekend, hoping to catch it again.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Not sure why Udo split but it must've been acrimonious. I saw a youtube interview with Wolf, where he was asked
    if he thought Udo would ever come back. Without hesitation, his reply was....

No........Hell No.

NP: Beat The Bastards

Saw them on the Blind Rage Tour - Awesome show. Go see them if you can. There aren´t too many concerts that you leave all in sweat with a grin on your face these days...

Maybe the new UDO "Decadent" ist something for you. Excellent guitar work and the songs sound similar to Accept this time.

I was looking at the tour section of the Accept site. I didn't go through every year but they were down here in 2011 at the same club that I've seen Robin Trower, the Dregs, Kings X, etc. Damn it, I missed them. Well, in 2011 I wasn't into them and wouldn't have cared less anyway. Hope they come back again. They seem to be pretty huge in Europe and South America (which isn't a surprise). RAWK! is still alive and well in Latin America and Europe.

Watching the Chile DVD again. These guys are sick! Gitarre, gitarre, gitarre!

This music will raise the dead......

This is for all our Rockin' Warriors

This album has got me by the balls. I like it more than Stalingrad but not quite as much as Blood Of The Nations.