Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: KANSAS: Major new interview on Innerviews exploring 1979-2015, including new lineup

Quote Originally Posted by Innerviews View Post
    You get the bonus footage only if you buy the deluxe edition from the band. You get an hour of interviews and studio footage from when the band first got together to start filming the documentary. It's still mostly focused on the classic era. You have to remember this project was done by Sony. Sony has a vested interest in selling the back catalog. The first five albums are the ones that had the highest sales. Further, this documentary is designed to appeal to the broadest demographic imaginable. There's no way you could capture what came after in five minutes. The documentary is artfully done, if you ask me. I thought it was great. Having said that, if you want the rest of the story, well, now you have a place to check it out. ;-)
    With all due repect this is the second source. The first being Seeds of Change the book by Kerry Livgren.

Truly one of the best interviews that I've ever read. I've been a fan of the band since my youth, and have always thought Phil Ehart was a staggering talent. Apparently, he's a world-class individual as well. Thanks for posting, innerviews!
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

The interview did come about after I saw the documentary and went "Wait a minute. What about the rest? I wonder if the band would allow me to create something that reflects what it didn't cover?" To their credit, they *immediately* said yes and I was on the phone with Phil days later. He flat out said he normally wouldn't do an interview like this, but saw some of the other stuff and felt confident I wouldn't turn it into a National Enquirer piece. You'll notice Phil is *very* careful with his words, which I admire. You still get the story, but no-one gets trashed. That is called a skilled interviewee.
    It also just further shows how classy Phil is. My respect for him just grows.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Ehart also played the drums for the Rush gig at that event (Peart wasn't there).
    Never heard of this. I would have loved to have heard it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Garion81 View Post
    With all due repect this is the second source. The first being Seeds of Change the book by Kerry Livgren.
    Is this book available for a reasonable price anywhere?

Is this book available for a reasonable price anywhere?
    That book is OOP for some time now. So you have to search ebay or similar sites to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    That book is OOP for some time now. So you have to search ebay or similar sites to find it.
    About 20 years ago I went into an Odd Lots or Books a Million, some outlet type store, and they had stacks of Kerry's Seeds of Change book for $1 each. I wish now I had bought more than the one I did. I also remember the same store had a bunch of Zappa CDs on Ryko, mainly the You Can't Do That On Stage series, in the old fat boy double CD jewel cases, so I picked several of those for pretty cheap - $5-6 each if I recall correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    About 20 years ago I went into an Odd Lots or Books a Million, some outlet type store, and they had stacks of Kerry's Seeds of Change book for $1 each. I wish now I had bought more than the one I did. I also remember the same store had a bunch of Zappa CDs on Ryko, mainly the You Can't Do That On Stage series, in the old fat boy double CD jewel cases, so I picked several of those for pretty cheap - $5-6 each if I recall correctly.
    I read it years ago, but have no idea what happened to my copy of it. Unless it is buried in a box somewhere I no longer have it. The book was pretty good. A lot of it was about his religious conversion (similar to Neil Morse’s book), but it also told the story of Kansas through Kerry’s point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    I saw KANSAS live in 1988 and he sounded fantastic and was very impressive on many levels. I think his voice began its rapid descent when he rejoined KANSAS in the early 90s and were playing clubs and touring heavily. It's hard to imagine Walsh in any band but KANSAS given his once distinctive voice. When Hackett released "Narnia" as a single he had another singer resing it as he was afraid people would think it was KANSAS. The redone version is vastly inferior vocally.
    This was discussed recently in another thread (or maybe it was on Facebook?), but Walsh’ voice really took a dramatic downhill turn between the “In The Spirit Of Things” tour in 88/89 and by the time “Live At The Whiskey” was released in 1992. In fact I remember seeing them in the summer of 1991 (When Kerry Livgren re-joined for a short period of time) and recall his voice still being in pretty good shape then. But man, when it turned it turned quick. By late 92 he was croaking like a frog through much of the set. It was a pretty dramatic change. It came back to some extent in later years, but was never again the pristine voice that it once was.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I read it years ago, but have no idea what happened to my copy of it. Unless it is buried in a box somewhere I no longer have it. The book was pretty good. A lot of it was about his religious conversion (similar to Neil Morse’s book), but it also told the story of Kansas through Kerry’s point of view.
    Mine is in a box somewhere, too. I enjoyed reading it way back when, but you're right, it was pretty focused on his spiritual quest. I did get a kick out of reading his opinions about other contemporary bands. I remember he had kind words about Gentle Giant and other proggy influences.

It seems like Phil has always been the main torchbearer for Kansas, but I was impressed with how joyful all of them were, in the documentary, talking about the old days. I found it interesting that neither Kerry nor Dave dwelt on their conversion to Christianity, even in the bonus disc (I've watched most but not all of it). I've come across Christians who are unwilling to even acknowledge their lives before "converting," so it was refreshing to see both Kerry and Dave hanging with the old gang, reminiscing fondly about their ascent, with no judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    This was discussed recently in another thread (or maybe it was on Facebook?), but Walsh’ voice really took a dramatic downhill turn between the “In The Spirit Of Things” tour in 88/89 and by the time “Live At The Whiskey” was released in 1992. In fact I remember seeing them in the summer of 1991 (When Kerry Livgren re-joined for a short period of time) and recall his voice still being in pretty good shape then. But man, when it turned it turned quick. By late 92 he was croaking like a frog through much of the set. It was a pretty dramatic change. It came back to some extent in later years, but was never again the pristine voice that it once was.
    I was shocked to say the least when I bought LIVE AT THE WHISKEY. It shows what a lethal combination alcohol, cocaine, and constant touring is to one's voice. He did an interview about 10 years ago where he really opened up about how his voice went.

When Hackett released "Narnia" as a single he had another singer resing it as he was afraid people would think it was KANSAS. .
    More of a record company thing I believe. Kansas' label didn't want it taking momentum from the band's own releases.

I was shocked to say the least when I bought LIVE AT THE WHISKEY. It shows what a lethal combination alcohol, cocaine, and constant touring is to one's voice. He did an interview about 10 years ago where he really opened up about how his voice went.
    Is this interview online somewhere?