Thread: Modern Cinematic Prog

Modern Cinematic Prog

Ok, I made that term up. But, I am really liking the approach taken by Dave Kerzner with the SOC Dimensionaut and his solo album, New World.

I would also classify the new Lonely Robot release in this category. Maybe even the new Steven Wilson.

Let me see if I can describe this style:
    -Conceptual in nature. Not necessarily a concept story, but at least a common theme from a lyrical standpoint.
    -Lush soundscapes and backdrops to the music that threads itself through each track, almost like a film score with common themes and feel.
    -Atmospheric transitions between vocal tracks
    -Melodic songs interspersed within the 'soundtrack'

It's similar to watching / experiencing a movie. I find myself going back to these kinds of albums more than anything else at the moment.

Any other releases that fit this style?

Not fitting all of your criteria, but the first thing I thought of when I read the thread title was:

Advent - Cantus Firmus

Suspended
    I think you are describing what I refer to as "concept albums" Not wishing to be too dismissive, but I'm not sure we need yet another genre term, especially one that mixes terms from different entertainment media. What next? Symphonic paintings?

I don't think a concept album has to actually tell a story, though it may do. In my mind it's a concept album if there is one theme that links all or most of the tracks.

Days of Future Passed is perhaps the archetypal example, and still one of the finest.

Mayra Orchestra - World of Wonder

I remember thinking when I first got into Explosions in the Sky (2003 or so) that they sounded like they were a soundtrack for a movie that doesn't exist. Of course, a few years later a whole ton of their stuff was used in Friday Night Lights

Another band that might fit the description (although they sometimes steer towards atonal dissonant stuff) is The Alps. They feature Jefre-Cantu Ledesma (ex-Tarentel) and definitely have a "cinematic" feel. Actually, now that I think about it, so does some of Tarentel's stuff

~Jeff

Maybe the new Sanguine Hum (Now We Have Light) would fit the description?

Black Codex is the definition of Cinematic Prog. Check it out.

The latest Peter Hammill album 'all that might have been' does not only have a cinematic feel it is also completely meant to be a cinematic album. No easy listening but a great work.

Days Between Stations, especially their debut-album.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I think you are describing what I refer to as "concept albums" Not wishing to be too dismissive, but I'm not sure we need yet another genre term, especially one that mixes terms from different entertainment media. What next? Symphonic paintings?
    I think concept is just one aspect of it, though. Not all concept albums have an almost film score feel to them, at least within the song transitions.

Not trying to coin a new term. Really just trying to describe the approach and why it appeals to me.

Thanks for the suggestions. Will check them out.

In another thread, someone was commenting how film-soundtrack-y some of Zombi’s music sounds and I agree, so maybe try them. I’d recommend Surface to Air and Spirit Animal in particular.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

A Miraculous Container by Mandrake Project.

Sleep Talking by Chance: Risiko.

Sarcast While by Time of Orchids.

Field of Reeds by These New Puritans.

Graks by Thule.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM