Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Kansas Album

New Kansas Album

Richard Williams confirmed in an interview today (clevescen.com) that Kansas will commence recording their 15 studio album in January.

I was bummed out when Walsh left - Kansas is my favorite band, bar none - and really couldn't stand to see them become one of those bands without any of the "main" members. But when I think about how long Greer and Ragsdale have been in the band - and I could argue that at times in the early/mid 90's that version of the band was as good live as any - I think I'm ready to see them again this summer and get excited about a new record on the horizon.

Kansas is a band!

Excellent news!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Old man of prog
    It's been a while since I've cared...but I'm intrigued.

I hope they let Ragsdale really get involved with the writing. I still think his solo album was an overlooked jem with a lot of great musical ideas on it.

Nine months to wait until they start RECORDING…

… man, am I going to need some distractions during that time.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

One of my all-time favorite bands. I for one will be interested to hear what they come up with.
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

I just hope Kansas doesn't wind up becoming the mockery that Yes has become
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    God I know. Anything could happen between now and next year, like scrapping the whole idea. Whatever, hoping for the best. Won't be an autobuy, but reading the reviews here should be entertaining.

without Steve Walsh, their now just a cover band. trying to make this new record come off as a Kansas album is gonna be embarrassing.

Without Walsh and Livgren it probably won't sound like the Kansas we all know. But I'm hopeful.

Who's to say that Livgren won't be contributing some songs to the project?
    The band and him seem to be on good terms, plus who knows what ideas and leftovers from previous projects might be used. It may sound somewhat different, but I'm hoping for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    God I know. Anything could happen between now and next year, like scrapping the whole idea.
    Or, like solid songwriting, rehearsals and collaboration.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    without Steve Walsh, their now just a cover band. trying to make this new record come off as a Kansas album is gonna be embarrassing.
    Oh boy
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Oh boy
    Indeed. I'm sure many felt the same way when Ringo replaced Pete Best.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Or, like solid songwriting, rehearsals and collaboration.
    Right. I'll believe it when I hear it.

Walsh left before, and I don't mind the Elefante albums.

It's a bit early to speculate, but I'd be willing to bet money that Livgren will contribute material to the album, even if he doesn't play on it.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

It's a bit early to speculate, but I'd be willing to bet money that Livgren will contribute material to the album, even if he doesn't play on it.
    That's my hunch too... If the current lineup really wants to claim the mantle of being a bona fide Kansas I think a new record with material as sophisticated as what Livgren writes (and only *he* can, at least within the Kansas camp) will do a lot to help.

While I think Native Window is ok, I think they were smart to not call that a Kansas album. I hope we don't get Native Window 2!

Last time I saw them, Ragsdale was basically carrying the band. He's phenomenal.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Watch this space tomorrow and perhaps some more details will emerge. ;-)

He said January, but he didn't say what year. Hope it's not like drastic measures.

Big fan so this is definitely good news. Though it really was Livgren's writing that made Kansas what they were, so it would be great if he could be involved (of course there is no guarantee he could still come up with material of that calibre - was not that impressed with 'Somewhere to Elsewhere' though it seems to be well-liked in general).
    I do think the other guys could come up with some good stuff as well - Ragsdale's solo album was excellent, and some of his instrumental ideas would have definitely worked as a basis for Kansas songs; also enjoy Billy Greer's work with Seventh Key. They could bring in Mike Slamer to produce, the Seventh Key albums sound great.

John Boegehold
    I'm optimistic about this. From what I've heard, they'll be gearing material for a classic Kansas-era sound, not Native Windows part 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanukisbrave View Post
    Who's to say that Livgren won't be contributing some songs to the project?
    The band and him seem to be on good terms, plus who knows what ideas and leftovers from previous projects might be used. It may sound somewhat different, but I'm hoping for the best.
    And if you checked the Miracles DVD, Livgren only needs a few hours per masterpiece