Thread: Some Kind of Jam 10 festival

Some Kind of Jam 10 festival

I had posted a couple weeks ago asking if anyone knew anything about the 10th annual "Some Kind of Jam" festival happening near Reading, PA. Didn't get any responses, but figured it was worth a shot to go to - $75 for 30 bands over a three day weekend sounded like a pretty good deal.

I'm glad I went - there were a ton of good bands playing all sorts of music - rock, folk, jazz, bluegrass, country, prog, funk, hip-hop, even a stand-up comedian and an old-time jug band. Most of the bands didn't stick to one category but kind of mixed, matched and blended genres.

The down side was that this was an outdoor festival in the hills of central PA in April, and unfortunately it got bone-chillingly cold especially at night. Most attendees camp out at the site, and overnight it was below freezing every night. I literally got borderline frostbite on my fingers - several of them are cracked and look pretty nasty. Oddly, I got sunburn on my nose and face during the day - it's not often you can get frostbite and sunburn in the same weekend.

I wrote up a lengthy review web page with lots of photos:

http://home.comcast.net/~eichler2/Ji...ndOfJam10.html

Quick summary for prog fans - two bands that had previously played ProgDay were there: Consider the Source and Out of the Beardspace. CtS tore up the main stage just before the headliners on Friday, and had probably the biggest and most enthusiastic audience for any band outside the two headliners (The Motet and Particle). I only caught a song or two of Beardspace's set because it conflicted with another band I wanted to see (there were four stages, often with multiple bands playing at the same time, with many bands playing more than one set over the course of the weekend).

New discovery that I really liked was the band Carbon Mirage out of New York. Three young guys on guitar, bass and drums that played improvisational rock that had hints of ambient music, surf rock, punk - all over the map. The program listed a couple of their major influences as Miles Davis and Sun Ra. They were the very first band on Friday, just after I arrived, and I had promised myself I wouldn't immediately start buying CDs, but I had to get both the discs they were selling as soon as their set was over. Later in the day they hosted an improv workshop, and I got to "jam" with them for a while on various percussion instruments, even though I don't have a musical bone in my body. I'd love to see them play ProgDay - I think both the music and the improv workshop concept would go over huge.

Ironically, the other new discovery band that I liked was the very last one to perform on Sunday afternoon, the Emilio Teubal Quartet. Jazz fusion band with a couple members from Argentina, so they had a world music thing going on that reminded me of Weather Report. Really good.

Some prog fans might like the Saturday night headliners, Particle. Probably too dance-music like for most, but they had tons of keyboards (even a Moog) and the guitarist could shred.

A guy named Mateo Monk held a "looping" workshop where he showed how to build up songs using various instruments and a looping pedal. It was geared towards musicians, but I found it interesting.

The venue is a beautiul place - it's an old fairgrounds in the wooded hills near Schuylkill Haven, PA. Main stage was a big, beautiful wooden ampitheater. The other stages were all kind of improvised in existing buildings, with one in a tent out in the camping area. There was one indoor stage in a warehouse-type building where they held the workshops during the day and then did late-night shows (starting at midnight and, from what I've heard, going until dawn each night - I didn't make it to the end of any of the late night shows). There are nature trails, yoga classes, dogs running around, people playing with hula-hoops, food vendors, fire dancers at night and even a parade in the middle of Saturday. Very scenic and very relaxed atmosphere.

Overall it was a really good time, despite the fact that I was over the median age of the crowd by at least 20 years and was one of the very few people who weren't stoned the entire weekend. I'd definitely go again, but next time maybe I'll get a hotel room or commute from home (since it's only a 45 minute drive), because freezing my butt off in a tent was NOT fun. I almost bought a ticket to the "Madsummer Meltdown" festival they're hosting in June, but then I remembered that I'm supposed to be taking my family to Disney World that week. Gah.
    Last edited by Ground and Sky's Ghost; 05-13-2015 at 01:51 PM.

Wow, awesome review Bob! I had no clue you were Ground And Sky Ghost on this board. Anyway, I really enjoyed reading it and looking at the pictures.

Regarding Particle, the only album I have by them is their first one, but to me it is very proggy in an Ozric Tentacles kind of way. I have heard they have moved somewhat away from that sound in more recent releases, but the first album is highly recommended.

Yeah, I just joined Progressive Ears recently, when I got really bored at work and was looking for a proggy web site to read. Don't tell my boss. I couldn't think of a user name until it hit me how much I miss writing for Ground and Sky, so I went with that.

Particle's first album is the only one I've heard so far as well. And Ozric Tentacles was the first comparison to come to mind. When they played the live show, there were some songs with vocals that sounded a little more "popish", but overall their live set sounded pretty much like that first album.

I just discovered that someone put a soundboard recording of Particle's set from the Some Kind of Jam 10 concert up on archive.org:

https://archive.org/details/Particle...ainStageMatrix

Just posting the link in case anyone wants to hear it.

In case anyone's interested, the guy who put the Particle soundboard up on archive.org has been making a lot of soundboard recordings from Some Kind of Jam 10 available - they're all linked from his archive.org account page at:

https://archive.org/details/@scottmedeiros

Of particular interest to prog fans would be Consider the Source's set:

https://archive.org/details/CTS2015-...ainStageMatrix

If you're into jam bands, The Big Dirty were pretty good:

https://archive.org/details/TBD2015-...indOfJamMatrix

And if you like funky jazz fusion with a cover of the theme from Super Mario Brothers thrown in, UZO is worth checking out:

https://archive.org/details/UZO2015-...tageSoundboard

I've been listening to everything he's put up from the festival so far, and it's good stuff in a wide variety of musical styles with great sound quality. I'm hoping he eventually gets around to putting up sets by Carbon Mirage, the Emilio Teubal Quartet and a couple others.

Quote Originally Posted by Ground and Sky's Ghost View Post
    New discovery that I really liked was the band Carbon Mirage out of New York. Three young guys on guitar, bass and drums that played improvisational rock that had hints of ambient music, surf rock, punk - all over the map. The program listed a couple of their major influences as Miles Davis and Sun Ra. They were the very first band on Friday, just after I arrived, and I had promised myself I wouldn't immediately start buying CDs, but I had to get both the discs they were selling as soon as their set was over. Later in the day they hosted an improv workshop, and I got to "jam" with them for a while on various percussion instruments, even though I don't have a musical bone in my body. I'd love to see them play ProgDay - I think both the music and the improv workshop concept would go over huge.
    I discovered these guys back in January -they played at an "event" night (music/improv/stand-up) at a bar in Brooklyn. They opened the night with a great set (which they recorded and is available here: https://carbonmirage.bandcamp.com/al...-bar-1-25-2015) which didn't really fit with the rest of the night's happenings, but I came away very impressed and bought both of their CDs on the spot also.

I'm going to have to check out some of the above links when I get some time, but I had to chuckle at the mention of Super Mario Bros. themes being used. Until recently my son was in a jam band based in Burlington, VT called Revibe. Their album is due out in the next couple of months. I've heard some of the rough mixes and it's going to be pretty great. I know one of the perennial complaints about jam bands is that their music doesn't always translate well to a studio album, but in the case of Revibe I actually think the studio brought forward just how many interesting elements there are in the music...which were sometimes lost in their live shows.

They do have some very nicely recorded shows available on Bandcamp and Soundcloud (Nectar's in Burlington records most of the bands and makes those recordings available to the bands). What I like about Revibe is the part that appeals to the prog fan in me - there is just enough density of ideas to make it interesting to me and I rarely feel like they go on overlong improvisations, but we all have different preferences when it comes to that I think.

https://revibevt.bandcamp.com/album/...ars-12-16-2014

Here's one of the many Mario tunes Revibe covered:

<sig out of order>

That last clip was rather poor audio quality:

<sig out of order>

I finally found a recording of Carbon Mirage's set at Some Kind of Jam 10 - for whatever reason, the guy who's been putting the festival recordings up on archive.org didn't put their set up there, but he did put it up at this torrent site:

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=579595&dllist=1

Finally getting around to checking out Particle. Pretty good stuff!
    <sig out of order>

Here's another jam band pretty much in the standard jam band mold, but these guys can play. Love the bass playing. I saw this bass player a couple months ago with an offshoot (Gubbulidis) of this group (Twiddle) and he was amazing.

<sig out of order>

Found some Gubbulidis. Some nice playing here:

<sig out of order>

Carbon Mirage is pretty cool. Sort of ambient fusion...and more.
    Last edited by Plasmatopia; 05-31-2015 at 07:00 PM.
    <sig out of order>

My son's former band just released their album last Tuesday. I like it.

https://revibevt.bandcamp.com/album/...d-in-fiction-2
    <sig out of order>