Thread: Kayo Dot fire sale - all albums $5 each this week on bandcamp!

Kayo Dot fire sale - all albums $5 each this week on bandcamp!

Hey my pals in Kayo Dot are touring Europe right now and hitting one major financial snag after another (including being overcharged for luggage on one airline and then having said airline lose the luggage). So this week they are having a fire sale - every one of their albums is $5 for download on bandcamp! I highly recommend this band to all adventurous music lovers, and this is a good way to test out the waters.

From their Facebook page:

Kayo Dot fire sale!! We've run into a glut of unexpected hardships on this crazy Europe tour, so for the next week, all albums on our bandcamp, including Kayo Dot albums, side projects, and even albums that were previously unavailable for download, are being offered for a mere $5!!! Help us cover some of these insane petrol and toll costs so we can actually make it home!!!!

http://kayodot.bandcamp.com

- Matt

Everything except Coffins on Io, and that was the one I've been reading most about. Oh well. I'll take a look around the others... hope it helps them get home.

^

If you're new to the band, start with Choirs of the Eye. From there I'd go by Coyote - and then all of them.

One of the truly interesting, few actually progressive prog-rock groups/projects currently active. Creative, transcendent, eclectic, innovative, virtuoso though rarely exhibitionist. Shit, I didn't even know they were touring Europe. Where/what are the dates - anyone?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    If you're new to the band, start with Choirs of the Eye. From there I'd go by Coyote - and then all of them.
    I remember trying Dowsing Anemone once upon a time and not liking it much. Even after my getting sort of used to motW, it seemed too abstract and aimless. Maybe it'd be good to give them another chance if those are better starting points.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^

Shit, I didn't even know they were touring Europe. Where/what are the dates - anyone?
    These are the only ones listed:

Tuesday, April 28, 2015
    Mózg Powszechny
    Warsaw, (Poland) - Map
    Set: 8:00 PM
    All Ages

Wednesday, April 29, 2015
    G.M.K.
    Budapest, (Hungary) - Map
    Set: 8:00 PM
    All Ages

not directly about them, but I have recently gotten addicted to Greg Massi's podcast The Color of Air, and he interviews and talks a lot about his time with both Kayo Dot and maudlin of the Well.

For the fans around here, if they don't know it, it may be worth checking out.

http://colorofair.com/

Great band which I only recently discovered,
    Which is very fortunate as I got to see them a few weeks ago-
    The show was great, IMHO even much better than the studio albums (which are good by themselves).
    Too bad the sale is only for MP3 and not actual CDs (I am old fashioned)
    Mabe I will buy an album or 2 just for the cause...

Edit:
    Why are all their physical copies sold out so soon? grrrr
    Last edited by flytomars; 04-29-2015 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Why are all their physical copies sold out so soon? grrrr
    Sadly that's the way things are going these days. For artists with small audiences (even fervent ones), it makes more number sense to do direct limited hardcopy runs than to print more and try to spread them out in shops.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    For artists with small audiences (even fervent ones), it makes more number sense to do direct limited hardcopy runs
    Probably true, yet it would obviously come as a surprise to several folks that a band as seemingly "out" as Kayo Dot actually have a larger audience overall than a lot of names normally thought of as "established" with people in niche places like PE. The local record store here in Oslo, for example, claim Kayo vinyls to be amongst the best selling progressive titles they stock (and yes, they've got a separate 'progressive rock' bin). The apparent reason is of course a somewhat overlap in appeal with listeners into metal, avant-garde, noise, goth etc. in addition to many "prog" folks. I still haven't given up on being someday able to see them perform right here in this city.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Guapo played with them in London last week.
    Terrific show.

Didn't know they were in the UK, a show with guapo wouldve been cool. What did they play?

Will definitely grab some of those downloads.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    Guapo played with them in London last week.
    Tremendous pairing! I can hardly hear a more fitting UK act for Kayo to play with.

I went ahead and picked up five downloads from their Bandcamp page, figured it was the "charitable" thing to do (I don't often need much of an excuse to buy new music).

I have their latest on CD, which I like, and I had Choirs on CD ages ago but gave up on it. Looking forward to giving Choirs another shot, along with four others in between.

I wish the band well with the rest of their tour.

Wow, glad they're touring but sorry to hear of their hardships. That hurts to hear. Will have to go to their bandcamp page when I'm off work, and pick up what I don't have.

Niche band, niche market.

They sort of lost me after Blue Lambency...but agree with SS...harmonically dense and interesting band that has a lot more to do with classical/chamber than "PROG!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Is Part the Second on sale? That's the one I worked on.

I decided to take a chance on a couple of these (some chance at $5 a pop huh? I really have big cahones). Anyway, I snagged the two that that hairy scrotum guy recommended, Choirs of the Eye and Coyote and absolutely did not regret it. Lovely violent stuff that I can't wait to listen to again. I swear I hear Flower Kings, IQ and Enchant in their vocals...dont you?

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

Quote Originally Posted by neuroticdog View Post
    I swear I hear Flower Kings, IQ and Enchant in their vocals...dont you?
    Not only in the vocals. Just wait until you see 'em live with those capes and Gabe-makeup masks.

But yeah, those clarinet/oboe sections on Coyote tend to remind me of Roine Stolt's humpy/sexy moan in "My Cosmic Lover". True, dat.