Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: YES - Heaven & Earth / Studio Album Follow-up

YES - Heaven & Earth / Studio Album Follow-up

Any word on if there's any action on starting a follow-up to H&E??

To the YES fans that did not like that album:

(1) Are you willing to give JD another chance as creative force?

(2) What would you like to see on the next YES CD; what advice would you offer as far as thematic direction goes???

Quote Originally Posted by lwpmedia View Post

Sure. I don't think Davison was the problem with H&E

(2) What would you like to see on the next YES CD; what advice would you offer as far as thematic direction goes???
    Some kind of energy. Any signs of life.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

1) The Jon Anderson of the last 25 years would have killed for the hooks that are littered throughout H&E. So, yeah... Presumably Davison is responsible for a lot of these, because I have never heard another Yes album that is such a hook-fest.

2) It could use some more bite. Some more prog. Some more rock. A little less reliance on those hooks to carry the tunes.

Concur with Scott on both points. Taken one track at a time I had no problem with "Heaven And Earth". A couple of the tunes were really good, the rest perfectly fine filler. But put together I found it to be a giant snooze.

I have been listening to two of the Jon Davison fronted Glass Hammer albums this week. They both blow H & E away. If Jon were able to write stuff like that for Yes I think a new album could have a chance.

Sure. He was one of the better part of the last cd. But write some friggin' PROG songs. Don't waste Yes on pop. That's not what they do best.

More energy for starters and some arrangements with unexpected twists. None of this prog by the numbers for the sake of it BS. Give us real prog from the heart.

Dig deep next time or don't do another album.

Yes, absolutely, based on his work with Glass Hammer. Just happened to spin the terrific epic "If the Sun" last night. Davison is amazing. Such a shame it wasn't apparent on H & E.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Perhaps if they sat down to make an album instead of a collection of half-baked ideas.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post

Yes, absolutely, based on his work with Glass Hammer. Just happened to spin the terrific epic "If the Sun" last night. Davison is amazing. Such a shame it wasn't apparent on H & E.
    Thank you! I wrote that (with a couple thematic inputs from Steve). And apart from about 2/3 of the lyrics, 1/3 of which were Steve's and the other 1/3 JDs. Jon had some musical input on Cor Cordium but If was written before we brought him on board... I thought Jon sang it terrifically though.

I don't know how much of a "creative force" he was, but I guess somebody has to sing. I took a mild liking to Fly From Here, so it's not like I can't deal with somebody other than JA on these albums.

Good music can come from many different avenues, thematic directions, degrees of complexity/simplicity, what have you. Hell, they can make a pop album if they want and I'd like it if it was a good one.

I just want whatever they do next to be good. Which would be a change for the better, because I thought that Heaven and Earth was terrible, pretty much from start to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Perhaps if they sat down to make an album instead of a collection of half-baked ideas.

THIS. They need to get together in one place to write. The "Jon Davison world tour" thing with him visiting each member individually to write didn't work out so well.

Not holding my breath waiting for it, but if they could all get together to write like in the old days, something good might happen.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Thank you! I wrote that (with a couple thematic inputs from Steve). And apart from about 2/3 of the lyrics, 1/3 of which were Steve's and the other 1/3 JDs. Jon had some musical input on Cor Cordium but If was written before we brought him on board... I thought Jon sang it terrifically though.

Oh, man, that school bullying part of "To Someone" just blows me away. Even if he didn't write it, the emotion in his voice right there is pure gold. Just fantastic stuff. And thanks to you guys for the stellar work on those and so many other albums over the years!

They're going to do what they want. I can only like it or not like it or like some of it. There are plenty of other bands to scratch other itches.

I liked H&E for what it was and I'm amazed and thankful that Yes even still exists.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    Oh, man, that school bullying part of "To Someone" just blows me away. Even if he didn't write it, the emotion in his voice right there is pure gold. Just fantastic stuff. And thanks to you guys for the stellar work on those and so many other albums over the years!
    Thanks! Yes, that's his. I think basically on that song if he's singing it's his part and if not it's mine

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Sure. I don't think Davison was the problem with H&E

Some kind of energy. Any signs of life.
    +1
    Chad

Thanks for all the responses... I'm hopeful for the next studio album!

Does anyone know the details of the Frontiers deal?

Are they contractually obligated to put out one or more studio efforts???

THANKS!

I liked about 2/3 of the songs on H+E, but the lack of energy in the bass and drums and sometimes overall affected them in a negative way. I think Jon D was the least of their problems. I really like Jon D's "Light of the Ages" and also his collaboration with Downes on "Subway Walls" - though again the lack of energy almost snuffs it out. I love the "Wounded sparrow of my heart" section. A young, more aggressive drummer replacing White might be a good first step.
    Some of the lyrics are very awkward - "Do your cooking at home", "Hail a taxi for that ego" etc. Was the esteemed Roy Thomas Baker even necessary for this project?

Give us some energy guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post

Couldn't have said it better myself. Seemed forced.

I'll give it a chance if they write some creative music with energy, not the slow plodding soft airy fairy stuff on H&E. Doesn't have to be 20 minute epics or anything, just something with conviction.

And I think they need a new drummer. White looked lost in places, and was not driving the music.

What would you like to see on the next YES CD; what advice would you offer as far as thematic direction goes???
    Some inspiration. It doesn't have to fit anyone's definition of any particular genre. If it's inspired, it could be worthwhile.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Liked about two thirds of H and E---but once again Yes gives away too much power to a newcomer---a tragic mistake they have made many times in their career, unlike Genesis who never gave away the store to a newby---Davidson is okay---but he wrote too many songs and sung too many lyrics some of which where just okay. And some, like Light of the Ages could have been helped by musical interludes and less singing---White, Squire and Howe used to be a powerhouse of sound---Opening of On the Silent Wings of Freedom---and all the instrumental parts on the great Yes albums---So more jamming around with energetic instumentals ----Patrick Moraz as a guest on some of the songs!!! to make the long time fans happy---less singing from Davidson----and maybe it's time for Alan to get a fast drum machine lol

That cooking at home line is the least of the problems--trying to have more down to eat lyrics among all the airy fairy ones--how is it any better or worse then "They eat a Cheneu" or however you spell it..lol
    Last edited by 2steves; 04-28-2015 at 06:34 PM.

If there's a follow-up to H&E, I'd like to see them actually finish writing the songs this time around. H&E sounded like a bunch of middle-stage demos for what could have been a pretty good album. Every single song needed a lot more work.

Sadly, I also think they need a new drummer, or at least an additional drummer. Alan's just not cutting it anymore.

I was really disappointed by H&E. I remember back when it was released, there were people who said that it was so much better than 'Fly from Here'. To my ears, FFH is Close to the Edge as compared to H&E. FFH sounded like a band that was still out to prove something whereas H&E sounded like a band that was so going through the motions. What I would like to see from a follow up, is what I said above. Just show me that you are still trying to prove something to your fans and yourselves as a band.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar

I just don't think Davison has it as a songwriter, nor do I think he has much upside to develop it. His writing sounds like kiddie music to me. If he weren't in Yes he'd be lucky to even get noticed at an open mic with those songs. My tastes have been running towards artists with more substantial things happening in the writing department anyway.

I've reached the conclusion that Yes is a spent force no matter who is in the band. I look forward to Progeny any any similar minded archival releases that might come in the future.

Loved H & E, and continue to play it in a regular rotation

With Progeny, Fragile in 5.1, and live in Mesa already announced there is something for everyone in any case

Supposedly another 5.1 before years end, and if it is Tales that might be the best of them all for moi

BG
    Last edited by Brian Griffin; 04-29-2015 at 11:37 AM.
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."