Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Guy Le Blanc

Wow!

I got to know Guy back in 1999 and always looked forward to interacting with him at various prog events. This news saddens me greatly....
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

RIP Guy....I love your music.

He was so positive about everything and pleasure to be with. Thoughts to friends and family.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Driving onto the Moravian campus for the inaugeral nearfest...first spotted a gentleman sporting a cool jacket with epaulets...then Sunday morning...we were all blown away by Nathan Mahl. Loved his work with Camel as well, but never got to see him with Camel as I recall his wife became quite ill before the NF Camel gig (Tom Brislin took over on keys). RIP Guy, condolences to his family.

I shall dig deep today and tomorrow into albums I have with Guy on keyboards. I'll play a substantial tribute set on Wednesday's "Through The Looking Glass" radio show. RIP Guy.

I am the Camel fanatic I am as much because of Guy as because of Andy. The 2000 LA show where I first caught the Camel bug remains a lifetime concert highlight. Also saw him in 2005 with Nathan Mahl in Rochester. Another fantastic performance. RIP.

Concur, arturs. That 2000 show in LA was excellent.

I thought Guy was an excellent player and writer and by all accounts a wonderful, er... guy... this is very sad news indeed for us but I believe he's in a better place.

Wow, I remember Guy in the early days of Nathan Mahl here in Ottawa. He can't have been any older than I am....this is so sad.....
    RIP.

Sad indeed. RIP Guy!

Very sorry to hear this.

I was never fortunate enough to meet Guy in person, but he seemed like a nice man. Very gifted musically as well. Such a loss. My thoughts go out to his family.

He was a very talented and accessible musician -

At Progday 2011 - my son (then 12 years old and guitarist by craft) . . . was supremely impressed with Guy's incredible keyboard skills . . . stayed on the steps for their whole set in amazement.

Gone but not forgotten.

~j

As one fortunate to have gotten to share the stage and tour bus with Guy, I can simply say that he was one of the sweetest, most gentle, funny, kind and lovely folks you'd ever want to meet. His extraordinary talent goes without saying. It's his beautiful spirit that I will especially miss. By the way, slight correction to HONDO's earlier post, Guy did indeed marry his love Shirley last year and she has been by his side every day throughout.

Jason Hart
    I and Thou
    Camel
    Renaissance

This is sad.

He was very talented keyboardist and writer.

Clever Use of Shadows is one of the top releases from '99. Still holds up very well.

Saw him tour with Camel at the Troubadour.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Back in 1999 we were having a bit of success with an independent band from Canada called Nathan Mahl. I was helping Chad and Rob brainstorm over bands to play at the inaugural Nearfest at Moravian College. I suggested the band and they were smart enough to book them. It was a brilliant set that really took everyone by surprise. Guy met Scott McGill who performed at the festival as well and they struck up a friendship that led to Scott performing on Guy's solo album.

After that Guy (and his late wife Dawn) would vend at Nearfest and we would hang out a bit/chat and on at least one occasion eat over at the brewery. He had very specific ideas about the music business that I think held Nathan Mahl back from bigger success but I think he ran things the way he wanted to.

He was a consummate musician and a pleasure to do business with over the years. Most important he was just a hell of a nice person.

I'm glad I knew him. He will be missed.

Thanks for the correction Jason, as I thought that they were not yet married. I am glad she was in fact with him til the end.

Excellent, kind and generous person. The Underground Railroad had the unfortunate challenge of playing the Sunday morning surprise slot the year after Nathan Mahl. Needless to say, Guy and his band had raised the bar way too high.

This is sad news indeed. I remember meeting Guy for a short moment at Nearfest 2000 where he sold me he new album Subversia. I also sent him a translation of the review I wrote for that album. Very nice guy, very great loss.

Loved his work - especially his aggressive and driving style of keyboard playing. A terrible loss to the music community though a monumental loss to his loved ones.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Back in 1999 we were having a bit of success with an independent band from Canada called Nathan Mahl. I was helping Chad and Rob brainstorm over bands to play at the inaugural Nearfest at Moravian College. I suggested the band and they were smart enough to book them. It was a brilliant set that really took everyone by surprise. Guy met Scott McGill who performed at the festival as well and they struck up a friendship that led to Scott performing on Guy's solo album.

After that Guy (and his late wife Dawn) would vend at Nearfest and we would hang out a bit/chat and on at least one occasion eat over at the brewery. He had very specific ideas about the music business that I think held Nathan Mahl back from bigger success but I think he ran things the way he wanted to.

He was a consummate musician and a pleasure to do business with over the years. Most important he was just a hell of a nice person.

I'm glad I knew him. He will be missed.
    When I first met Guy it was during the "Subversia" sessions with Scott McGill. I caught wind that Nathan Mahl was going to put on a show in Ottawa. I called the venue to inquire about tickets. Dawn answered the phone and told me Guy would call me back. I inadvertently referred to her as his mother and was promptly corrected when he returned my call. He just looked young on the CUOS album cover! Anyway, I convinced my cousin to make the 125 miles trip with me on minimal notice, making him listen to some Nathan Mahl on our drive there. We get there and realise that we may have been the only "outsiders" at this event. Such is the reality of a "prog gig" that isn't a festival.There wasn't more than 25 people in attendance. Guy was impressed and thankful that we'd just driven up from Montreal just to attend this show. McGill opened and was very good but Nathan Mahl killed! This was before his fall out with his guitarist. I saw Guy and Nathan Mahl a few times after that but they never sounded that good, imo...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Guy was a PE member for well over a decade and will be missed. This news is awful. Our thoughts and prayers are with is family at this time. RIP He was a fantastic musician and the world is lesser without him in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Sad... I remember he lost his wife Dawn at a young age. Did they have kids ? Feeling sad for them, having lost both parents well before their time. Never saw him with Nathan Mahl, but three times with Camel in 2000 and 2013. Great player and nice man. He had a table at NEARfest two of the times I attended, it was nice to chat with him. RIP Guy.
    Very sad news. As Sean said, Guy was a long-standing PE member, and was a Facebook friend for years.

I also remember him losing his wife (who I met).

RIP, Guy
    Regards,

Duncan

RIP Guy,great player.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Nathan Mahl is the reason the term "Prog Church" exists. They blew the place apart on that fine June Sunday morning in 1999. To think that they were a fill-in for the then-recently-defunct Finneus Gauge. Big thanks to Ken Golden for recommending Nathan Mahl to us at the 11th hour.

Guy was a wonderful guy and a fabulous musician. He always had a handshake and a big smile for everyone. He will be sorely missed.

Incidently, I just finished listening to "The Clever Use of Shadows." To this day, it is one kick-ass album.
    Chad

Sad to hear this. RIP Mr. LeBlanc.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Very sad, way to young to pack it in. A great musician and guy.

J.