Thread: FEATURED CD - Mad Crayon : Ultimo Miraggio

FEATURED CD - Mad Crayon : Ultimo Miraggio

Per "scooter_mcgrooter_13" on the old PE system:
    Isn't it funny how sometimes you are drawn to an album because of the band's name, or the album title, or the art work? This is how I discovered Mad Crayon, because of their band name. I went looking for reviews, but only read one (which praised them). But something intrigued me to buy this album, and I was glad that I did.

Mad Crayon hail from Rome, unlike their name would apply. Seems more like a name for a punk rock band from Easton, PA. But this is a classic Italian symphonic progressive rock band. Their sound leans more towards Genesis during the days before Hackett's departure. But they also touch on the styles of early PFM and 70's Yes, as well as some jazz overtones.

For this, their debut album, the band is a quintet. Daniele Vitalone on bass and vocals, Luca Cleri on guitars, Alessadro di Benedetti and Daniele Agostinelli both on keyboards and vocals, and Stefano Fabiani on drums. The songs are chock full of great melodies and arrangements. Though it suffers a bit from less that stellar sound quality. Something that was improved on their follow-up album Diamanti.

"Lost in Years" is the album opener. Musically, it is a wonderfully arranged and performed song. Vocally though, you hear some struggling to pronounce the English lyrics. It sticks out more on this song, whereas the other two sung in English, the singers sound more confident and sound better. "Dance of Puppets" highlights some cool analog synth sounds on top of a great moody symphonic song. "Fiore De Luna", a nice little mostly acoustic (piano and guitar) track. A sweet, short ballad that later adds some electric guitar and synths.

"Running Child" starts out with some Tangerine Dream like keys work, but it is soon obvious that this instrumental is going exploring in many different directions. There is some synthesized vibraphone that adds a nice touch when running through the main theme the second time around. Then the piece slows down to piano (synth/electric?), only to be brought back to the theme and a harder edge. Some great arranging work and musicianship here!

"Rapids to the Distant Sea" is another great piece of symphonic rock. Very well arranged and performed. "I Giardini Di Zoe" is a great combination of acoustic instruments and harmonic voices with strong electric instrumental sections throw in for good measure. "Ultimo Miraggio" has a very Yes appeal to it, without sounding like Yes. Very well arranged. Nice guest female vocals to sing counter melodies and lines, but also to harmonize. "Persa Nel Tempo", the album closer, is the Italian sung version of "Lost in Years". There are a few differences in sound, but not in the overall arrangement. Though I think the English version sounds fuller instrumentally over the Italian version.

Despite the sound quality issue, this is a great album. Mad Crayon is a bunch of talented songwriters and musicians, and put together some great symphonic rock.

Regards,

Duncan

I don't have this one(their debut) but I have the second one which was okay, but "Preda" the third one really impressed me. Also the music they offered on the Colossus of Rhodes recording was quite good.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Does anyone else confuse them with Mad Puppet?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I had this ages ago and their second, Diaminti. I tried to like these albums, but it was not to be. There were some good tracks, but on balance they just werent consistent enough or challenging enough to hold my interest. They dabbled with "proggy" ideas, but they weren't really consistenlty a Prog band on these albums. I never heard anything past the first two, which I ditched long ago and never looked back. Great cover for the first album, it looked so promising.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Yeah. And also with Mary Newsletter.

Diamanti is quite good. Never heard this one.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Never heared the debut, but Diamanti is very good and Preda is awsome.

New Album is in work at the moment.

The band's keyboardist has also a project called "Inner Prospekt" which is rather ambient electronic with
    some Prog.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Always. Mad Crayon actually did scare me away with just the things the OP said drew him in, but I like Mad Puppet, sort of.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 04-26-2015 at 01:11 PM.

[but they weren't really consistenlty a Prog band on these albums]

Oh you mean like most mainstream prog bands in the 80's and 90's(and even beyond)?

I actually have diamanti but haven't listened to it yet. Now after reading some of these posts I'm almost scared to.

Hadn't heard of them. The clips sound nice, especially the 2nd one, which appears to be the title track. I like the variance between parts, (as opposed to the prodding all in one rhythm throughout a whole song, which I hear a lot of these days) and the melodies are good. I prefer a more real piano sound than the synth piano in there, and the analog sounding synths I prefer over the digital sounding ones, and the sound quality is not pristine, but these are minor quibbles. Overall enjoyable and worth further investigation for sure.

Ok, just listened to a bit of Diamanti in my car(about maybe half of it). It sounds quite good. It's mature, melodic, sophisticated, sometimes with heavy-ish guitars. The vocals are in Italian too which is a plus for me(even though I don't speak or understand Italian).