Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nick Mason and his Fictitious Sports

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    And the CD is oop, rare and a bit expensive.
    I'm really privileged to possess that "UK psych prog" record on ol' vinyl!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Like all Bley albums I find it occasionally charming but fairly incohesive.
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Even with Wyatt, hit-&-miss for me. Some nice moments but mostly unsatisfying....
    that's mostly my recollection of the last time I heard this (some two decades)

TBF, the late-70's & early-80's was not Wyatt's best period, IMHO (I know some will beg to differ heavily, though)... though I find FS has more dynamics than most of his RW-signed albums of the times.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I'm really privileged to possess that "UK psych prog" record on ol' vinyl!
    Me too, but I would like to have it on CD as well.
    The LP is not expensive second hand.

Listened to it for the first time in years last night. No, not the best thing any of them have done, but some good tracks. And, this is the only PF solo album I've heard that wasn't exactly what I expected in advance of hearing it...

I had never heard of Carla Bley before FS. It was my introduction to her work and now I have a few other CDs of hers. I still play FS on occasion. I'm a Mineralist and Hot River are my two fav tracks. Masons drums are more prominent then when Mason is at his day job.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Not long after this Nick was featured on a Michael Mantler album. Edwin Gorey artwork was featured on the album gatefold. I have in vinyl but, like "Fictitious Sports", I have listened to it in decades.
    Mason was the drummer on Mantler's Something There which was released 2 years after FS.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Got this this week in the Unattended Luggage box, I'd been meaning to get it for years but never got round to it. It's surprisingly good even if it is mainly Bley & Wyatt. It might be my favorite Floyd solo album ahead of Gilmour s/t. Also found out via this thread that Carla is on Kew.Rhone. now that's a great album.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Got this this week in the Unattended Luggage box, I'd been meaning to get it for years but never got round to it. It's surprisingly good even if it is mainly Bley & Wyatt. It might be my favorite Floyd solo album ahead of Gilmour s/t. Also found out via this thread that Carla is on Kew.Rhone. now that's a great album.
    Picked this box up last year. It’s definitely my favorite solo album from a Floyder. Never warmed to Gilmour’s albums.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I like FS, but the rest of the bow has me puzzled.
    I've never heard of Profiles (hasn't got good ratings on RYM, PA and Gnosis) and I understand that the third disc is a bit the same collab (with Fenn)

TBH, I've thought for decades that Sports was the only Mason 'solo' endeavour, and it took me one decade less to actually enjoy it - though I don't own it (yet). Is the rest of the discs any good (you seem to be talking on FS only here)?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Too early to tell on the other two, first impressions didn't wow me but that's often the case.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Based on 2nd run through I doubt I'll be listening to the 2 Mason - Fenn albums very often (if ever)
    Ian