Thread: Steve Howe and Steve Hackett may work together again?

Steve Howe and Steve Hackett may work together again?

I found this quote from Steve Hackett, thanks to Henry Pott's ever-useful web site. It's originally from Music Enthusiast Magazine on the Internet. The interviewer asked about reviving GTR music on tour, and Mr. Hackett responded:

"It's a funny thing. Steve Howe and I just started talking recently about possibilities of things, so I'm not closing the door to that. At this point of time, obviously there's a lot of other things on the agenda, first of all. So we'll see how that goes."

This is is intriguing, but it offers nothing definite.

For me GTR was a mixed bag at best, with a few musical high points but too pop oriented for my tastes. However, both Steves are among my very favorite guitarists and musicians. Is there any interest in what they might produce together now?

It would be interesting to see a collaboration between them now, without any pressure for a hit.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'd be there if it happens that's for sure!----there is a lot of great playing on GTR---the singer, production and other elements suck----but Scott is right it could be real interesting if they didn't have to produce a hit like they did with the first album---a lot of money was invested in the original GTR.

I'd totally be up for a collaboration again! After the 80's production excess of GTR, a mostly-acoustic-based project would be a good place to start.

Squackett wasn't exactly a toned-down production, either. It had good songs, though. But both Steve's are so strong in their acoustic repertoire, it would be nice to leave the keyboards in the closet for once and have a guitar de force.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I would hope for this, but that would be letting the heart rule the mind.

Yeah, no guitar just acapella vocals from the two.

As long as they don't step on eachother's toes so to speak. I think if one played electric and the other did acoustic(at least on each song; the could alternate)it could be ok. I always wanted to hear the GTR album but everyone is always saying how bad it is so I've always been reluctant to get it.

I like the guitar parts and the interplay between the 2 guitars is very good and very different from many other albums---and it was chosen by Guitar Player as the guitar band of the year or something like that--but the singing and production is not very good. In the end it is a product of the 80's---which for me is not a very good thing.

I think an acoustic album (and tour!!!!) would be fabulous from these two.

Only if Howe does all the lead and harmony vocals. GTR was one of the biggest musical let downs of all time for me.

Quote Originally Posted by eporter66 View Post
    I think an acoustic album (and tour!!!!) would be fabulous from these two.
    I was about to suggest the same thing....I'd be all over that.

Steve on nylon classical duets with Steve on Martin dreadnought backed by a string quartet and pedal steel-mandolin-banjo trio.

Since we're dreaming... My wish would be for an all-instrumental album with real proggy electric tracks mixed with beautiful acoustic ones. And definitely include some long epics that have both electric and acoustic sections.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Since we're dreaming... My wish would be for an all-instrumental album with real proggy electric tracks mixed with beautiful acoustic ones. And definitely include some long epics that have both electric and acoustic sections.
    I think that would make many people very happy.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

What world needs is vocal only duets by these two great Steves.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    As long as they don't step on eachother's toes so to speak. I think if one played electric and the other did acoustic(at least on each song; the could alternate)it could be ok. I always wanted to hear the GTR album but everyone is always saying how bad it is so I've always been reluctant to get it.
    Well I'm not ashamed to say I like GTR, so there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    What world needs is vocal only duets by these two great Steves.
    There you go, the a cappella album. MY EARS!! MY EARS!!! I'd rather hear chalk scrapping across a blackboard for 40 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    Yeah, no guitar just acapella vocals from the two.
    Aaaagh!!

GTR has a shallow production. 2 great guitarist lost in the mix.

Actually, the production was deep. Deeply mired in reverb, that is.

If a kazoo or a paper & comb aren't involved then I'm out!
    What if the Hokey Cokey really IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Only if Howe does all the lead and harmony vocals.
    KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Yes I wouldn't really want an AOR album from these guys. Something along the lines you describe would be nice. If one of them must sing, leave it to Steve Hackett.