Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Santana reunion album!

Santana reunion album!

Neal Schon hopes to tour original lineup record, to be completed this week
    Santana aim to take over the world again with their reunion album, says guitarist Neal Schon.

The Journey man has reunited with Carlos Santana and original members Gregg Rolie, Michael Carabello and Michael Shrieve for an album that’s nearing completion.

And he wants to take the project as far as it can possibly go.

Schon says via Facebook: “We are wrapping up Santana IV this week. Sounds amazing!

“This record is going to take over the world. I hope management gets it together for us to tour – I will tour with Carlos either way.

“It’s way too happening not to. World domination once again.”

Meanwhile, Schon has hinted that there’s still little chance of another Journey album because keyboardist Jonathan Cain can’t be persuaded to take part. Asked about a new record he says: “Don’t tell me – tell JC. It’s like pulling teeth.”

Santana said last year that Schon had “chased him like a guided missile” to make the reunion take place. Drummer Shrieve reported in February the results were “beautiful,” adding: “It’s like putting on a pair of old jeans.”

In light of the crap that Carlos has been putting out lately this is great news

Might be good.

How about Abraxas Pool ?

Gregg Rolie - vocals and keyboards
    Neal Schon - guitars
    Alphonso Johnson - bass
    Michael Shrieve - drums
    Michael Carabello - congas
    José Areas - timbales

https://youtu.be/TN7MQJKVzx4?t=10m30s

Quote Originally Posted by R_burke View Post
    well, Shape Shifter is a pretty good album

but this is great news... hope they tour!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    ... hope they tour!
    And the cost per ticket........
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

this is really great news! definitely up for seeing them play live, too.

Great news, but I sure hope it won't be another let down like so many reunion projects seem to turn out like. Would love to see these guys live no matter if the album is good or not so good.

Quote Originally Posted by gryphs also View Post
    And the cost per ticket........
    I was thinking the same thing. Santana played our area last summer at an outdoor venue and the ticket prices then were ridiculous. I can’t imagine this tour will be any cheaper. I am not one typically to bitch about ticket prices, but Santana just seemed way overpriced to me.

On the other hand…………….I would love to see this tour………….

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Meanwhile, Schon has hinted that there’s still little chance of another Journey album because keyboardist Jonathan Cain can’t be persuaded to take part. Asked about a new record he says: “Don’t tell me – tell JC. It’s like pulling teeth.”
    That band should call it a day. They're their own karaoke act, like Foreigner.

OTOH, Santana IV sounds awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post

Not that I'd care if Journey recorded another album but why not Rollie instead of Cain? And then get rid of the Perry imitator and have Rollie sing. That would make me a interested.

Yet another " Spaceballs 2-the Search for More Money" project

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Not that I'd care if Journey recorded another album but why not Rollie instead of Cain? And then get rid of the Perry imitator and have Rollie sing. That would make me a interested.
    Hell Yeah! But I think Pineda is fine remaining in the band. That kid has such a great attitude and outlook on life plus he sings the songs well. Bring back Steve Smith and Gregg Rolie.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Given the stories I've heard about Journey, and specifically with regards to dealing with Steve Perry (who somehow owns the rights to the band name now), I imagine Rolie wants nothing to do with such matters. That's probably why he left the band in the first place, dealing with Perry's plus sized ego.

As far as having Rolie sing, I somehow doubt he'd be able to deliver the Perry era hits the way Arnel does. And let's face it, if they're going to continue as a live band, Journey has to be able to do Wheel In The Sky, Don't Stop Believin', Any Way You Want It, etc.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Good to see Devadip getting back together.

I see that Rollie is touring as part of Ringo's band this year.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Been hearing about this "reunion" fro a while now. Yeah I'm more than curious to hear what they'll come up with but this ain't no auto-buy. I remember hearing a few camples from that Abraxas Pool thing a while back and I didn't care for it. I'll just wait and see what the reviews look like and play some tracks whenever they're on youtube or whatever.

.....as far as Gregg Rollie rejoining Journey? I wouldn't be interested in it either way. Yeah Gregg could play keyboards and sing some of the old stuff he sang when he was in the band, but I still think you need the new kid up there doing his Perry thing. I just can't imagine Journey doing Kahoutek, In My Lonely Feeling, Next, etc. in concert these days.

Good, I thought it was just me that liked Shape Shifter.

I'd love to see Schon and Shrive together on one stage, in spite of what Santana has been doing lately. Even though i don't like it, the guy can play the shit out of a guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post

I saw the current lineup of Journey a little over a year ago, and thought they were fantastic. Arnel is an incredible singer and front man. In fact I would rank him up there with some of the best I have seen. The rest of the band were all great too. I actually think their last album was really good as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I saw the current lineup of Journey a little over a year ago, and thought they were fantastic. Arnel is an incredible singer and front man. In fact I would rank him up there with some of the best I have seen. The rest of the band were all great too. I actually think their last album was really good as well.
    I have nothing against Arnel. More power to him. A lot of Journey's fans bemoan the fact that they play the same 10-12 songs over and over, with one wild card.

Carlos puts maximum energy into his projects. Take a read of his "Universal Tone". One of the best books I have read on a musicians career. There are some musical gems I missed along the way and ended up buying after I read the book. He may be guilty sometimes of placing too much responsibility with his producers but his heart is in it.

Read "Universal Tone", outstanding book!

Agreed Shape Shifter is the best of what he has put out lately, but still IMO nowhere as good as the early stuff

Shape Shifter , dude!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    Good, I thought it was just me that liked Shape Shifter.
    Their best album.....

Agreed Shape Shifter is the best of what he has put out lately, but still IMO nowhere as good as the early stuff
    .... since Moonflower, really
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.