Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yezda Urfa

Yezda Urfa

Man do I like these guys... I always forget about them and when they pop up on my random playlist I enjoy the hell out of their albums. Sacred Baboon is especially tasty. Just another talented band that got no love.

I want to pick up "Sacred Baboon" as I only got the first one right after their NEARFest performance, which was amazing (and they definitely got some long-overdue love). Great band.

I love both albums. There’s significant overlap between the two, but each is its unique entity. I believe there was an unreleased third album in Syn-Phonic’s release queue for a time, so it seems there’s even more recordings by the band still out there. I’m pretty sure we got the cream, though.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I have Sacred Baboon, which a great blend of Yes + Gentle Giant + the band's unique ideas. How is the live at Nearfest CD? I probably should pick up Boris some time.

Both albums are among the few veritable US prog classics. Yes & Gentle Giant are clearly main influences at play here, but I always thought Yezda Urfa's lead singer had a voice very similar to Colin Carter from the band Flash (of "In the Can" fame).

Quote Originally Posted by Levgan View Post
    Both albums are among the few veritable US prog classics. Yes & Gentle Giant are clearly main influences at play here, but I always thought Yezda Urfa's lead singer had a voice very similar to Colin Carter from the band Flash (of "In the Can" fame).
    Gentle Giant, Yes and Flash meet Samla Mammas Manna.

Great stuff.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Love them both, but I give the slight edge to Boris.

Both albums are among the few veritable US prog classics.
    There are a few other "good" ones but these two and Mirthrandir, (Cathedral is close too), are primo

I'd give Boris a very slight edge

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

I have both albums and give Boris the nod, too.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin
    There are a few other "good" ones but these two and Mirthrandir, (Cathedral is close too), are primo
    I've never been big on Cathedral, to be honest, but Mirthrandir is right up there for sure! One I tend to favor more than many other folks is Pentwater. IMO, it's almost as good as the ones mentioned, but has a slightly worse reputation IIRC. I'm only talking "symphonic prog" here, no jazz-rock such as the excellent Good God, nor avant-prog like the magnificent Pocket Orchestra.
    I'd give Boris a very slight edge
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Gentle Giant, Yes and Flash meet Samla Mammas Manna.
    Funnily enough, the 5uu’s albums remind me of YU, especially Hunger’s Teeth. Less symphonic, obviously, but there seems to be a lot of common ground there, influence-wise.

I've never been big on Cathedral, to be honest, but Mirthrandir is right up there for sure! One I tend to favor more than many other folks is Pentwater. IMO, it's almost as good as the ones mentioned, but has a slightly worse reputation IIRC.
    Yeah, the Cathedral has its moments, but there’s some blatantly stolen Steve Howe guitar riffs, and the singer is just dire. Mirthrandir are one of the greats, though, they really transcend their “budget” recording in a way that few others did. If you don’t mind archival stuff, the Maelstrom album is also first-rate.

The only Pentwater I have is Out of the Abyss and if you can get around the fact that it’s kind of a mess obviously cobbled together from different sessions, you can get a lot out of it. Some superlative stuff there.
    Last edited by Progbear; 04-23-2015 at 09:01 PM.

"Boris" had a great vinyl reissue by the greek label Anazitisi few years ago.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear
    If you don’t mind archival stuff, the Maelstrom album is also first-rate.
    Good call, I remember liking that one a lot. It's certainly a lot better than their proper album, which was some sparse, noodly experimental stuff, as far as I recall, totally devoid of any real substance. I often have a soft spot for prog musicians experimenting with moods and textures of free jazz and avant-garde music, but that particular experiment just failed completely.
    The only Pentwater I have is Out of the Abyss and if you can get around the fact that it’s kind of a mess obviously cobbled together from different sessions, you can get a lot out of it. Some superlative stuff there.
    Yeah, that's the one I was speaking of. Not sure I ever heard their actual 1978 LP, and the third title from 2007 that I've just seen listed on Gnosis is completely unfamiliar - I wasn't even aware of its existence!

Yeah, that's the one I was speaking of. Not sure I ever heard their actual 1978 LP, and the third title from 2007 that I've just seen listed on Gnosis is completely unfamiliar - I wasn't even aware of its existence!
    All 3 Pentwater CDs are very similar stylistically. If you like Out of The Abyss then you should definitely check out the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Funnily enough, the 5uu’s albums remind me of YU, especially Hunger’s Teeth. Less symphonic, obviously, but there seems to be a lot of common ground there, influence-wise.
    Yes and Gentle Giant, I think - plus, with Drake/Kerman, several RIO bands. Little doubt that the Urfa guys heard them some Zappa/Mothers, perhaps even some Hampton Grease Band - who knows?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F.
    All 3 Pentwater CDs are very similar stylistically. If you like Out of The Abyss then you should definitely check out the others.
    Thanks Joe. What's up with that 2007 album? A real reformation or archive recordings?

The only US prog that I'd consider a "Classic" is Victor Peraino's Kingdom Come-No Man's Land. All this other stuff is so lo-fi that it turns me off.

Thanks Joe. What's up with that 2007 album? A real reformation or archive recordings?
    It's a reformation, Lev. The archival "album" was 'Out Of The Abyss.'

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    "Boris" had a great vinyl reissue by the greek label Anazitisi few years ago.
    The original sounds awful. Does this sound better?

I haven’t heard the self-titled official release but I hear a lot of folks bashing it; it has an alternate version of “Gwen’s Madrigal,” otherwise there’s no overlap with their other releases. The 2007 album is more archival stuff. I remember it getting a bit of a plug at the time (maybe even an original member or two posting to the board) but I haven’t heard much about it since. Haven’t heard, but good God, is that cover art ugly with a capital UG or what?

Yeah, the Cathedral has its moments, but there’s some blatantly stolen Steve Howe guitar riffs, and the singer is just dire. Mirthrandir are one of the greats, though, they really transcend their “budget” recording in a way that few others did. If you don’t mind archival stuff, the Maelstrom album is also first-rate.

I honestly don't mind the vocals on Stained Glass Stories, those on Maelstrom aren't any day at the beach either : )

Pre is another 70's US one in the "good but not great" category, still better than the more derivative ones like "Babylon"

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

What's up with that 2007 album? A real reformation or archive recordings?
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    It's a reformation, Lev. The archival "album" was 'Out Of The Abyss.'
    I haven’t heard the self-titled official release but I hear a lot of folks bashing it; it has an alternate version of “Gwen’s Madrigal,” otherwise there’s no overlap with their other releases. The 2007 album is more archival stuff. I remember it getting a bit of a plug at the time (maybe even an original member or two posting to the board) but I haven’t heard much about it since. Haven’t heard, but good God, is that cover art ugly with a capital UG or what?
    Upon further review...'Ab-Dul' is a mixture of archival, new, and old material re-recorded in 2006. So, something of a hodgepodge.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Upon further review...'Ab-Dul' is a mixture of archival, new, and old material re-recorded in 2006. So, something of a hodgepodge.
    Very little of the material is from 2006. I think it's around 4 tracks, 2 of which are under a minute. The other two are ~3 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    The only US prog that I'd consider a "Classic" is Victor Peraino's Kingdom Come-No Man's Land. All this other stuff is so lo-fi that it turns me off.
    Well, there are others, Happy The Man is certainly deserving of being an original.

Quote Originally Posted by MJBrady View Post
    Well, there are others, Happy The Man is certainly deserving of being an original.
    those guys put me to sleep.