Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bands that are only considered "prog" by "prog" fans on "prog" forums.

Bands that are only considered "prog" by "prog" fans on "prog" forums.

OKAY then dudes, you asked for it, so here we go.

Bands that are only considered "prog" by "prog" fans on "prog" forums. And to start off I'm going to list some bands I've never considered as prog. And I will also tag them in brackets with regard to the type of people that listened to them back in the day IMO.

1. Jethro Tull (folkies, rockers, blues-rockers)
    2. Pink Floyd (originally: psych-folkies, hippies, trippers, acid rockers, space cadets. Later: AOR/classic rockers)
    3. Dream Theater (indie/alt. metal)
    4. Porcupine Tree (indie kids, ravers & festy crusty types (modern hippies), along with the Ozrics, PEH and the like)
    5. Ozric Tentacles (indie kids, ravers & festy crusty types. I was at several OT gigs in the 90s and the vast majority at the gig were indie kids, modern hippies, white rastas & ravers, who listened to a whole raft of other bands that were not even close to prog)
    6. Hawkwind (psych-folkies, bikers, grebbos, hippies, trippers, truckers, acid rockers, space cadets)
    7. Gong (psych-folkies, hippies, trippers, acid rockers, space cadets)
    8. Rush (hard rockers)
    9. Uriah Heep (hard rockers)
    10. Deep Purple (hard rockers)
    11. Kansas (Christians and AOR/classic rock fans)

Suspended
    Wow, talk about profiling!

Actually there are several of those bands that I still don't consider prog, but there's no point in my naming names and reopening that chestnut

Go on Bob, you know you want to

I'd say that Dream Theater is considered prog by everybody else but prog fans on prog forums.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Go on Bob, you know you want to
    No I won't. but I will say this: just because someone is not "pop" does not make them progressive or "prog", though that's the definition many people seem to adopt.

Instead of the usual suspects, how about bands that prog fans hijack into the genre?

Elbow
    Radiohead

Not that there is anything wrong with doing so, exploring the fringes of modern music to find artists with elements that many of us gravitate towards. Still, I doubt there are many outside of the prog world who would go so far as to accuse these two bands as being progressive as defined by what the masses know prog to be.

Wow, what is prog?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    6. Hawkwind (psych-folkies, bikers, grebbos, hippies, trippers, truckers, acid rockers, space cadets)
    What's a "grebbo"? I also find it hard to picture Robert Calvert behind the wheel of an 18-wheel Kenworth hauling appliances.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

And then there is Umphrey's McGee
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

There are only five prog bands.

Just as there are only five RIO bands.

And five Canterbury bands.

Music lovers only have one hand free.

Suspended
    I've been to Rio de Janeiro, and I can tell you there there are a lot more than five bands there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    What's a "grebbo"?
    I don't know, but I like the sound of it.

Mellow Candle, Comus, Steeleye Span, Fairport Convention, etc. I could probably go on, but you get the idea.

Yes - funk rock with castrate/microprick schoolboy vox. Or was that soul?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    What's a "grebbo"? I also find it hard to picture Robert Calvert behind the wheel of an 18-wheel Kenworth hauling appliances.
    I actually find it funny because I don't put myself in any of those categories and I am a huge Hawkwind fan.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by spotprog View Post
    Instead of the usual suspects, how about bands that prog fans hijack into the genre?

Elbow
    Radiohead

Not that there is anything wrong with doing so, exploring the fringes of modern music to find artists with elements that many of us gravitate towards. Still, I doubt there are many outside of the prog world who would go so far as to accuse these two bands as being progressive as defined by what the masses know prog to be.
    All we need to do is go to progarchives to see all the subgenres that prog has adopted(I won't say hijack although I suppose you could say that)such as jazz rock/fusion, psychedelic, new age/electronic and post rock. No it doesn't end there but those are some of the main ones.

Radiohead are maybe more on the experimental side but I don't have a problem calling them prog. I think prog is a pretty wide umbrella and I don't see why it can't include more than just the traditional sounding prog. Elbow I agree are more like a prog influenced band. I would put Coheed and Cambria in that category too.

If we go by what the masses think then the only prog bands are the symph prog bands from the seventies or those that sound like them. Also, until maybe the last couple of years, the masses thought prog died in the late seventies.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 04-22-2015 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I've been to Rio de Janeiro, and I can tell you there there are a lot more than five bands there.
    I believe he's referring to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_in_Opposition

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I believe he's referring to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_in_Opposition
    Aah.

The only Prog band on your list is Kansas.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

All we need to do is go to progarchives to see all the subgenres that prog has adopted(I won't say hijack although I suppose you could say that)such as jazz rock/fusion, psychedelic, new age/electronic and post rock. No it doesn't end there but those are some of the main ones.
    Prog fans are the Borg Collective when it comes to music genres.

"You will be assimilated. ..Resistance is futile. "

Radiohead are maybe more on the experimental side but I don't have a problem calling them prog. I think prog is a pretty wide umbrella and I don't see why it can't include more than just the traditional sounding prog. Elbow I agree are more like a prog influenced band. I would put Coheed and Cambria in that category too.

If we go by what the masses think then the only prog bands are the symph prog bands from the seventies or those that sound like them. Also, until maybe the last couple of years, the masses thought prog died in the late seventies.
    Progarchives' subgenres seem more something created purely for organizational use on that particular site, rather actual naming conventions used by music fans.

^^ Categories/genres in general primarily serve a marketing purpose, as in: “Look, here’s more of the same. You bought X (which is Neo/Zeuhl/Symph or whatever), so you will like Y (which is also Neo/Zeuhl/Symph or whatever).”

But as Tim Smith says: “It’s all tunes, innit?”
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Progarchives' subgenres seem more something created purely for organizational use on that particular site, rather actual naming conventions used by music fans.
    I suspect the people on Prog Archives alphabetize the cereals in their pantry too.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

I think maybe Knight Area would be a better example for your sig. Nightwish are more of a prog metal band.

The term "Progressive" is a Zen koan.

The only bands who were truly "progressive" were the early ones who progressed the state of rock & roll by doing things nobody else had ever done before.

All the bands who came later, who sought to be "progressive" by sounding like these early bands, were -- by definition -- not progressive. They were at best "perfective" rather than "progressive" and at worst simply imitative.

in other words, you cannot be progressive by trying to sound like a progressive band.