Thread: Buskers

Suspended

Buskers

How do people react to them?

I have been known to drop them a few coins, if only because I applaud the fact that they are doing something to try and get some money rather than just sitting in the street with an upturned hat and a sign. I have even been known to give money to a guy playing blues, a genre I don't like much, purely because I thought he was reasonably competent and didn't like the way some of the onlookers were treating him like shit.

BUT - they have to have a modicum of talent. I will scream if I hear one more wailing off-key rendition of "Wish You Were Here" or "Knocking On Heaven's Door." I have to get a certain amount of enjoyment from hearing them. It has to sound better than silence, or the sound of car horns and piped music from the shops.

The thing that is starting to bother me is this. It's becoming quite rare here to encounter a busker performing with just his voice and his own instrument ("his", because they are nearly always male). Most of the time they have some kind of sound box as well, and the problem is often that I have trouble figuring out how much of what I hear is recorded sound and how much is being produced on the spot by that guy with his guitar or whatever.

I used to regularly see a guy who used to sing, operatic kind of stuff. He played no instrument - the backing came from a couple of speakers that were positioned one on each side of him. invariably he would be in an alcove, such as a shop doorway, that enabled the sound to echo and amplify. The question was, was the singing also coming from the speakers? I would watch him for minutes at a time, trying to decide. At times I would be sure he was lip-synching; other times I would think "no, he's actually making those sounds." the way the sound echoed around the alcove made it very difficult to pinpoint the actual source, and made me suspect that was the reason he had chosen that location.

I almost never give money to street performers who have sound equipment set up. If I can see that it's just them and their instrument, then I might - they don't have to be Jeff Beck or Elton john, they just have to be decent to listen to. But I wish they would expand their repertoire. If I ever encounter a busker playing a Porcupine Tree song, I shall probably drop them a $20 note - after I recover from my shock.

My only problem with buskers is that I encounter them mostly in transit stations, which means I'm usually in a hurry to get somewhere and don't have time to stop and listen. Last one I heard, last week, was a violinist at the 24th Street BART station in San Francisco playing the Bach Sinfonia in E.

I was in Washington Square Park(Greenwich Village) Saturday.There was a jazz combo playing near where my friend and i were sitting.They were quite good.There's something so right, so fitting, to hear jazz(especially if competently played) while hanging out in Washington Square Park.

I gave them a fiver.

I almost never give money to folks playing music in the subway.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

There's a guy who always plays saxophone outside of the Philadelphia sports complex after games are over, for the exiting crowd. He's pretty good - plays everything from 70s AM radio hits to Coltrane, and doesn't butcher any of it. I always throw a buck or two in his case.

Guy probably makes more than I do in a year.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

If they bring me some enjoyment, and I stop and listen for a song or two, I give them some money.

anything more than that is over-thinking it, imo.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Interesting question…..

My wife’s oldest sister’s son does busking in New Orleans on a fairly regular basis. He is a musician who lives in Texas, but every month or two he goes to New Orleans and busks on the streets for a night or two. Personally, I can’t imagine doing this, but he seems to do it more for enjoyment than the money he makes. He sometimes does it with just himself and an acoustic guitar and sometimes with a buddy. I believe he occasionally busks around the Houston area where he lives as well. A few years ago we were all on a family vacation down in Florida. This guy would take his guitar out on the beach and either busk or just wander around with it. He would end up hanging out drinking beers with complete strangers, and making a lot of friends that way. It would terrifying for me, but that is just the way this kid is (well….I think he is 29 so not really a kid anymore).

When I run into buskers I have to admit that I usually just keep going. Once in a while one will catch my ear and I may stay around for a song or two. If I do that I usually give them something, but being honest here it does not happen all that often.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    My only problem with buskers is that I encounter them mostly in transit stations, which means I'm usually in a hurry to get somewhere and don't have time to stop and listen. Last one I heard, last week, was a violinist at the 24th Street BART station in San Francisco playing the Bach Sinfonia in E.
    The BART Station Violinist gets around and is good.

I like to give to buskers who are giving it a go, good or bad. It takes guts to put yourself out there on the street. Fortunately we get a quite a few in the city and most are talented.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    If I like them, I'll try to listen to them on Pandora.

I like them, but I think Louisville has deemed busking illegal or at least strongly discouraged. Boooo L'ville authorities