Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mats/Morgan Band

Mats/Morgan Band

Anyone here fans of these guys? I just "stumbled across them" -- or rather, I finally decided to check out one of their albums, after having read their names so many times online. Scooped up Thanks For Flying With Us on Amazon, and was quite frankly blown away. Holy cow, these guys are brilliant!

I had heard Morgan Agren in Kaipa before, but nothing prepared me for the quirky, aggressive fun of this music.

To be honest, I'm ashamed I haven't listened to them sooner. This CD has been on repeat in my car for the past week, and I just ordered their Live album from Wayside (along with Beija Flors Velho E Sujo by Sao Paulo Underground), as I've a feeling their back catalog will gradually find its way to my shelf sooner rather than later.

Any insights to share?

You've got some nice listening hours ahead of you

Get their Live album ASAP ! And get awestruck - It doesn't get much more spectacular than this !
    I am also very fond of 'The Music or the Money?' and '[SCHACK TATI ]'

Oh holy shit they are probably in my top 5 bands all time. I LOVE everything. All of it. Get Morgan's Batterie Deluxe too. Awesome. Keep this thread alive... I can talk about them all day.

Listen and buy:

https://morganagren.bandcamp.com/alb...ren-solo-debut

His drums can also be heard on the 2 albums with Fleshquartet - What's Your Pleasure? (1988) and Goodbye Sweden (1990) - both very good (actually their best IMO) !

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Only just starting to explore these guys, I've only got [schack tati] though I've heard lots of stuff over the last few years. I'll see them at RIO this year and will probably pick up another couple before then.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Mats Morgan live fusion

Best version of Jaco's The Chicken I have heard

No insight. Just enjoy them. I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Best version of Jaco's The Chicken I have heard
    OTTOMH, The Chicken is a Maceo Parker tune.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

You are right it isnt Jaco, and I had to look it up

- and according to http://secondhandsongs.com/performance/20831 The Chicken by Maceo Parker was written by Pee Wee Ellis and was first released by James Brown in 1969.

Morgan Ågren has also played with Simon Steensland, Raoul Björkenheim/Trevor Dunn/Ståle Storløkken in Box, Bill Laswell/Björkenheim in Blixt, Henry Kaiser/Trey Gunn, Finnegans Wake, Fleshquartet, The Tangent and many others.

His Mats/Morgan project still remains my fave of what he's done. Incredible drummer who essentially has it all; unspeakable chops, sensibility and creativity and versatility, and a fascinating ability to transcend the music he's in through a sheer presence of percussive finesse. One of the truly great drummers of our day and age.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Some background is useful too, you must absolutely read this, written by Morgan himself
    http://www.morganagren.com/zappa/zappa1.asp

This is from Japan not long ago... I am speechless on some it. Morgan is just an alien. Vinnie C and guys like him humble me every single time I try to play a fraction of their music and I've played drums since middle school and know all my rudiments. lol

Little brother Jimmy Ågren is also worth checking out. http://www.jimmyagren.com . Morgan played in his live band. There is a free live DVD on his homepage. They also did a Captain Beefheart project together, with Denny Walley.

This is absolutely awesome, Morgan on drums.

By the way, I have a ticket for their concert on May 10th: http://jazzfest.no/event/mats-morgan-band/ I also saw them the last time they were here.

Trondheim is to far away for me, and they have never played in Copenhagen, or Denmark.

If I was on the continent - I'd be there. Sucks being in the states for music concerts... especially in Texas! Every once in a while I get some meat - Zappa next month at least! I miss being around NYC. Best time I ever had for musical journeys.

Mr. Phlaka Ton

Rob Mazurek / Black Cube SP (who are nothing like Mats/Morgan, except that they are also great) are in Austin. You should go.

April 30 - North Door - Austin, TX
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Mr. Phlaka Ton

Rob Mazurek / Black Cube SP (who are nothing like Mats/Morgan, except that they are also great) are in Austin. You should go.

April 30 - North Door - Austin, TX
    Already ahead of ya on that one. Thank you for the reminder, Steve! One of the best things I've seen here in Austin was The Claudia Quintet years ago. Wish they'd venture down here more.

Good! Take advantage of the opportunities presented, is my motto!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Bump for my own pleasure... speaking of pleasure - Watch Me Pleasure is a pretty hot song.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterbus View Post
    Some background is useful too, you must absolutely read this, written by Morgan himself
    http://www.morganagren.com/zappa/zappa1.asp
    That's a great story. Especially nice to read since I was at that show in Stockholm. I had no idea about the background to their attendance, or what happened behind the scene, obviously.

^^ Glad he made it back from the loo on time! Was sweating bullets reading that…
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Mats had the advantage of being blind --- just listen and play --- dont mind that maniac genius named Frank glaring at you while you do it! lol