Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who here listens to audiobooks?

Who here listens to audiobooks?

I've really been on a roll with audiobooks for the past 7 or 8 years. I find that I'm more auditory than visual, and it's a great way to accompany a long walk or bike ride. I use Audible (https://www.audible.com)

Some music-related titles I've enjoyed:

When Giants Walked the Earth: A biography Of Led Zeppelin - Mick Wall (18 hours)
    I listened to this three times. Great information and lots of detail though the author has a somewhat negative view of Jimmy Page.

Who I Am - Pete Townshend (18 hours)
    Read by the man himself. I found it completely engaging. In particular, the early years of the Who, Lambert and Stamp, and all the ups and downs of Pete's inner & outer turmoils are laid bare.

Life - Keith Richards (23 hours)
    It starts off wonderfully, gives a fascinating account of the formative years of the Stones, who admittedly are a band I've never really connected with. The middle is a long, long, long trip through years of heroin, violence, trials, child neglect, and other dismal things. The last part seems just sort of thrown together at random, so the ending is rather disappointing.

Roadshow: Landscape with Drums - Neil Peart (nearly 16 hours)
    I enjoyed every second of this! Some think Neil is something of a snob, but I find him articulate and refreshingly honest.

Selected history, biography, science, political, and other stuff:

1812: The Navy's War - George C. Daughan (nearly 19 hours)
    Good info about an event I knew precious little about but slightly bogged down by (boat)loads of unnecessary nautical minutiae.

The Guns of August - Barbara W. Tuchman (19 hours)
    Totally deserves its status as a classic. Nadia May narrates this, and her pronunciation of French and German names and places is spot-on.

Nothing to Envy - Barbara Demick (12.5 hours)
    Sobering harsh realities of refugees fleeing North Korea during the famine of the mid 90's. Narrator is slightly annoying - would've been better at narrating a children's book, and her pronunciation of Korean names/words is painful. The story still manages to come across vividly, however.

Escape From Camp 14 - Blaine Harden (5.5 hours)
    Another North Korea horror story, but this time, the refugee was actually born in a prison camp. So-so narration, but totally gripping (and sad) story.

The Real North Korea - Andrei Lankov (11 hours)
    Intelligently argued and well-balanced viewpoint from someone who actually lived there.

Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die - Dan and Chip Heath (8.5 hours)
    Highly engaging, and with much useful, practical information

Einstein: His Life and Universe - Walter Isaacson (21.5 hours)
    An outstanding work! Loved everything about it: the structure, the prose, and the narrator. It's difficult to comprehend the scope of his genius, especially when hearing about how the theories of special and general relativity came into being. The book also shows Einstein's musical and human side in some depth. I never knew Albert & his first wife had a child out of wedlock.

Atomic Accidents: A History of Nuclear Meltdowns and Disasters... James Mahaffey (16 hours)
    Informative, scary, and illuminating, and if you're into engineering, you'll find this book particularly fascinating. Comes with a pdf file that shows different types of reactors.

The Adventure of English - Melvyn Bragg (12 hours)
    Thoroughly entertaining & informative look at the development of the English language.

The Borderlands of Science - Michael Shermer (13 hours)
    Science and pseudo-science and everything in between. Informative and entertaining. A great resource though Shermer's narration is slightly nasal-y.

Unbroken - Laura Hillenbrand (14 hours)
    Just finished this last week, and WOW... what an incredible, true story! Louis Zamperini was indeed a singular character.

David Attenborough: Life On Air - same (19.5 hours)
    Fascinating for anyone interested in the history of the BBC, wildlife, Nature, and Sir David's inimitable delivery. Of course, no one else could possibly have read this one but the man himself, which makes it all the more delightful.

The Great Courses:
    The Industrial Revolution - Prof. Patrick N. Allitt (18 hours)
    Much more interesting than you might think. Prof. Allitt is a delight.

The History of the United States - Prof. Allen C. Guelzo, Prof. Gary W. Gallagher, Prof. Patrick N. Allitt (43.5 hours)
    Epic length, but it held my interest and filled in lots of (embarrassing) gaps in my knowledge.

The American Civil War - Prof. Gary W. Gallagher (24.5 hours)
    Same as above. Excellent overview and with a well-balanced viewpoint.
    Last edited by Koreabruce; 04-18-2015 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    I've really been on a roll with audiobooks for the past 7 or 8 years. I find that I'm more auditory than visual, and it's a great way to accompany a long walk or bike ride. I use Audible (https://www.audible.com)

Some music-related titles I've enjoyed:

When Giants Walked the Earth: A biography Of Led Zeppelin - Mick Wall (18 hours)
    I listened to this three times. Great information and lots of detail though the author has a somewhat negative view of Jimmy Page.

Read by the man himself. I found it completely engaging. In particular, the early years of the Who, Lambert and Stamp, and all the ups and downs of Pete's inner & outer turmoils are laid bare.

Life - Keith Richards (23 hours)
    It starts off wonderfully, gives a fascinating account of the formative years of the Stones, who admittedly are a band I've never really connected with. The middle is a long, long, long trip through years of heroin, violence, trials, child neglect, and other dismal things. The last part seems just sort of thrown together at random, so the ending is rather disappointing.

Roadshow: Landscape with Drums - Neil Peart (nearly 16 hours)
    I enjoyed every second of this! Some think Neil is something of a snob, but I find him articulate and refreshingly honest.

Selected history, biography, science, political, and other stuff:

1812: The Navy's War - George C. Daughan (nearly 19 hours)
    Good info about an event I knew precious little about but slightly bogged down by (boat)loads of unnecessary nautical minutiae.

The Guns of August - Barbara W. Tuchman (19 hours)
    Totally deserves its status as a classic. Nadia May narrates this, and her pronunciation of French and German names and places is spot-on.

Nothing to Envy - Barbara Demick (12.5 hours)
    Sobering harsh realities of refugees fleeing North Korea during the famine of the mid 90's. Narrator is slightly annoying - would've been better at narrating a children's book, and her pronunciation of Korean names/words is painful. The story still manages to come across vividly, however.

Escape From Camp 14 - Blaine Harden (5.5 hours)
    Another North Korea horror story, but this time, the refugee was actually born in a prison camp. So-so narration, but totally gripping (and sad) story.

The Real North Korea - Andrei Lankov (11 hours)
    Intelligently argued and well-balanced viewpoint from someone who actually lived there.

Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die - Dan and Chip Heath (8.5 hours)
    Highly engaging, and with much useful, practical information

An outstanding work! Loved everything about it: the structure, the prose, and the narrator. It's difficult to comprehend the scope of his genius, especially when hearing about how the theories of special and general relativity came into being. The book also shows Einstein's musical and human side in some depth. I never knew Albert & his first wife had a child out of wedlock.

Atomic Accidents: A History of Nuclear Meltdowns and Disasters... James Mahaffey (16 hours)
    Informative, scary, and illuminating, and if you're into engineering, you'll find this book particularly fascinating. Comes with a pdf file that shows different types of reactors.

The Adventure of English - Melvyn Bragg (12 hours)
    Thoroughly entertaining & informative look at the development of the English language.

The Borderlands of Science - Michael Shermer (13 hours)
    Science and pseudo-science and everything in between. Informative and entertaining. A great resource though Shermer's narration is slightly nasal-y.

Unbroken - Laura Hillenbrand (14 hours)
    Just finished this last week, and WOW... what an incredible, true story! Louis Zamperini was indeed a singular character.

David Attenborough: Life On Air - same (19.5 hours)
    Fascinating for anyone interested in the history of the BBC, wildlife, Nature, and Sir David's inimitable delivery. Of course, no one else could possibly have read this one but the man himself, which makes it all the more delightful.

The Great Courses:
    The Industrial Revolution - Prof. Patrick N. Allitt (18 hours)
    Much more interesting than you might think. Prof. Allitt is a delight.

The History of the United States - Prof. Allen C. Guelzo, Prof. Gary W. Gallagher, Prof. Patrick N. Allitt (43.5 hours)
    Epic length, but it held my interest and filled in lots of (embarrassing) gaps in my knowledge.

The American Civil War - Prof. Gary W. Gallagher (24.5 hours)
    Same as above. Excellent overview and with a well-balanced viewpoint.
    For about 4 and a half years I had a 90+ minute drive to work (and a 90+ minute drive home). I no longer have that long commute. During that time I listened to a lot of audiobooks. It was my savior.

One suggestion. I used the Public Library. Free audiobooks. They have many books on CD and most libraries offer downloads.
    Currently attempting to catch up on all of the chaos in the Market Square.

Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by Moribund View Post
    For about 4 and a half years I had a 90+ minute drive to work (and a 90+ minute drive home). I no longer have that long commute. During that time I listened to a lot of audiobooks. It was my savior.

One suggestion. I used the Public Library. Free audiobooks. They have many books on CD and most libraries offer downloads.
    Same here... I sometimes do very long road commutes and audio books are a lifesaver, and a great way to get in a lot of extra reading with no extra time or effort.

I download them from the library for free and play them on the iPad or the phone, through the car's speakers.
    Regards,

Duncan

I wish I could do the free audio books thru the library thing, but I'm in Korea, and the vast majority of titles probably aren't available in English. Audible is a bit on the expensive side, so I try to justify it by getting the books that have the best combination of length - usually over 15 hours - and subject matter that I'm interested in.

On the other hand, I love podcasts such as Dan Carlin's two shows: Hardcore History (superb!) and Common Sense (insightful). Those are free. Older shows are $1.99, and there are lots to choose from.

The ongoing Blueprint for Armageddon series about the First World War comes highly recommended. Installment VI should be out soon. Each one has been 3~4 hours long and, if you're familiar with Dan Carlin's style, features exceptionally well-executed storytelling. There are also series on the Mongol invasions (Wrath of the Khans), The Fall of the Roman Republic, the Punic Wars, The Eastern Front in the 2nd World War (Ghosts of the Ostfront), etc. http://www.dancarlin.com/home-hh-54/

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I mix in audiobooks with podcasts, and consequently consume a considerable amount of spoken word audio.

The last audiobook I listened to is Jon Ronson's So You've Been Publicly Shamed. I really like all of Ronson's books I have read or listened to. So I highly recommend him. I think I got the biggest kick out of Them: Adventures with Extremists, just because it delves into conspiracy theories/theorists.

If you haven't listened to the podcasts Serial, or Radiolab, I highly suggest to anybody. There are a couple of seasons of Radiolab which are simply amazing. Serial is a true crime thing, relatively sort, and great all the way through. If you dig those, go on to try 99% Invisible and Benjamin Walker's Theory of Everything. They are good general audience podcasts, in an NPR vein.

Right in my nerd zone is The History of English Podcast, which is a rather extensive history of the English language. I mean, it goes all the way back to proto-Indo-European and crawls its way forward. On episode 29 the Anglo-Saxons finally invade Britain. I like it a lot. I'm on episode 52, and Old English is still going, absorbing the Viking influence and Old Norse words. Each episode lingers around an hour too. So that's a lot of free content.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

I wish I could do the free audio books thru the library thing, but I'm in Korea,..
    I have a friend who is also overseas. When he came to the USA on a visit, he got a library card - and that was all he needed. Now, he downloads audio books and ebooks online, from Hong Kong.
    Regards,

Duncan

Actually, my brother works in a library in northeast Ohio. Guess who'll be getting a library card on his next visit...

Ive been doing audiobooks for years...mainly at the gym or on the track.

Back then, I've wondered (but never realkly investigated) how many CDs it took for an audiobook and how expensive and cumbersome it was to buy and store...

I imagine that most of it downloadable nowadays and easier to mange (one USB stick or one file), therefore much more manageable

Loved that Townsend book, but I was cerainly less interested after the 70's.

An audiobook on complicated subjects (like Einstein) could be useful because less boring, but losing out on any visual aid a book might have (scientific formulae, pictures), etc...)

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Same here... I sometimes do very long road commutes and audio books are a lifesaver, and a great way to get in a lot of extra reading with no extra time or effort.

I download them from the library for free and play them on the iPad or the phone, through the car's speakers.
    Having a long commute (2.75h) twice a week (friday and sunday evening), I can't imagine myself driving when listening to a book, because it requires attention in a very different way than listening to music... I need to pay attention when on the road, maybe because the traffic density between Belgium and Holland in one of the more densely-populated area in Europe

I definitely prepare my two weekly commutes by choosing ahead of time the music I will be listening to, preparing a bootle of home-made iced tea.... and something to read in case I get stuck in traffic jams.
    Last edited by Trane; 04-19-2015 at 06:52 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

When driving to my summerhouse (6 hours drive) we usually borrow a lot from the library.
    My kids love it, doesnt get carsick and (the can follow the road & traffic), and like with music, I think its good for the concentration - much better than a screen with games or movies.

Actually, my brother works in a library in northeast Ohio. Guess who'll be getting a library card on his next visit...

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    ...Having a long commute (2.75h) twice a week (friday and sunday evening), I can't imagine myself driving when listening to a book, because it requires attention in a very different way than listening to music... I need to pay attention when on the road, maybe because the traffic density between Belgium and Holland in one of the more densely-populated area in Europe

I definitely prepare my two weekly commutes by choosing ahead of time the music I will be listening to, preparing a bootle of home-made iced tea.... and something to read in case I get stuck in traffic jams.
    I remember that your and my commute is sometimes similar. Depending where my client is at the time, I'll usually fly, but sometimes drive.

I have listened to audio books on the road for many years - sometimes in low traffic situations, sometimes in very dense traffic. I've never found it to be a problem.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post

I remember that your and my commute is sometimes similar. Depending where my client is at the time, I'll usually fly, but sometimes drive.

I have listened to audio books on the road for many years - sometimes in low traffic situations, sometimes in very dense traffic. I've never found it to be a problem.
    I never thought I would be able to concentrate on the road and the book. When I gave it a shot, I never had a problem.
    Currently attempting to catch up on all of the chaos in the Market Square.

Dan Carlin's show on the ethics of bombing is one of the most emotionally overwhelming things I've ever experienced.

I can’t listen to spoken-word stuff while driving. I can’t concentrate on what people are saying most of the time. Plus, road and auto noise make it hard to make out soft speech. I remember when I still had a car with a cassette stereo, a friend gave me a box set of old Goon Show episodes, but I couldn’t make out what they were even saying most of the time, so it was kind of a bust.

Plus, I prefer to read books as opposed to listening to them. I’d rather not have it bound to someone else’s voice and inflections. I prefer to have all these things in my imagination. You lose a lot of that when listening to audiobooks as opposed to reading. It’s a different experience.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    It's definitely a different experience. I've had mixed results. Sometimes, when the author reads her or his own works, and it is non-fiction, (like Jon Ronson's books) then it is basically that person telling you a story they have researched. It turns out pretty well.

When you are listening to fiction, I think depending upon another person's interpretation is a considerable issue. One positive experience was the audiobook of Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys. The reader simply nailed all the African, Afro-American, Afro-British, and Afro-Caribbean accents that occurred in the novel. It deeply enriched my understanding of the text. Even though I have been exposed to all of those accents before, I doubt they would have been so immediately accessible to me had I read it on my own.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrailroad View Post
    Dan Carlin's show on the ethics of bombing is one of the most emotionally overwhelming things I've ever experienced.
    If you mean Logical Insanity, yes, indeed. I really like Dan's take on most things. He has a sensible point of view. You can get that one for free here:

http://www.dancarlin.com/product/har...ical-insanity/

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I can’t listen to spoken-word stuff while driving. I can’t concentrate on what people are saying most of the time. Plus, road and auto noise make it hard to make out soft speech.

mmmhhh!!!... I've got no problems to listento spoken radio when driving, but it's news and debates, so the tone is rather different than a reading out.

Plus, I prefer to read books as opposed to listening to them. I’d rather not have it bound to someone else’s voice and inflections. I prefer to have all these things in my imagination. You lose a lot of that when listening to audiobooks as opposed to reading. It’s a different experience.

actually in terms of inflections, if it is the real author reading the book (as in the case of Richards or Townsend in the OP), it can only bring a plus, since it reinforces what he's trying to say
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I used to have an hour commute each way and listened to a lot of books on CD. I did the whole Harry Potter saga, all 7 books, about 4 times through. Love the Peter Townsend autobiography. He evens laughs at the funny parts as he's reading.

I have a 14-hour drive to ProgDay every year. I load up (from the library) with books on CD. One year I listened to a Sinatra bio that took more than the 14 hours on the way down. Loved every minute of it. Already thinking about what I'll borrow for this year's drive.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I sampled a few Audible audiobooks and found them to be really low-budget jobs. The readers' voices were terrible. But this was several years ago.

I used to listen to talking books and the people who do the actual reading of e-books now, are terrible. The people who read the talking books had voices that were unforgettable, men and women. Their voices had such charactor and quality you would listen just to hear them speak and how they would pronounce words. Believe it or not, this can help to hold your intrest. On those long winter evenings, there was nothing better. I do admit that I don't listen to many e-books, I've tried, but they don't come close to TB's. Almost like you were in the story. Perry Mason was my favorite.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Yeah, reading is better. I'd almost always rather translate something in my head (both images and the 'sound' of the words) than hear someone's performance, although sometimes the performance can be great too--the good examples are the ones where the writing already lends itself to aural cadences and the reader has a good feel in bringing it to life. Simon Jones's reading of Douglas Adams's Salmon of Doubt comes to mind.

Instead of narrated books, though, I love audio stories for stretches like long road trips. Big Finish's huge trove of Doctor Who stories is usually my go-to (they've also branched out into Dark Shadows and Sherlock Holmes). Radio shows and spoken-word things like standup comedy are fun too, but there's something quaintly appealing about that old-fashioned approach of voice acting, background music and sound effects.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Charles Nelson Reilly reads The Hunt for Red October

I make audiobooks

Mostly bad ones though.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    That's exactly my experience. Tried it, didn't like it for that reason...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-