Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Lesser known Canadian prog

Since we've branched into not-really-prog-but-interesting music, I'm going to drop in Last Ex, who came out with an instrumental debut album last year:

Nice stuff that doesn't to me fit into an obvious pigeonhole, a little bit post-rock, a little bit kraut, a little bit horror movie soundtrack (which is what the project was originally going to be for, until it wasn't). Got a slightly wonky, off-kilter sound that I really like and made me think they were British, but they're actually from Quebec. This gets quite a few spins in our house.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    The first two Chilliwack albums are rather good too.... Hippie-dreamy psych with slight Amerindian influences
    My Girl (Gone Gone Gone) remains one of my favorite tunes. Has every single element of a successfully written pop-rock song (even a modulation).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Longest Can-con thread ever..

more local, well partly. Stretch Orchestra - instrumental trio in the "jazz" vein. should appeal to you Cuneiform types and you know who you are

Studio

http://stretchorchestra.com/

Live

I would be amiss without mentioning the Infinite Ceiling mascots Butterflies and Zebras. Electric guitar, acoustic guitar and african drums and many devices - very spacey, droney, improvy. "Acid without the acid"

Live at gigspace

and here is a full show live on radio show edited nicely to remove that annoying DJ person

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    My Girl (Gone Gone Gone) remains one of my favorite tunes. Has every single element of a successfully written pop-rock song (even a modulation).
    I had their Dreams, Dreams, Dreams album on vinyl back in the day, mainly because of the tune Fly By Night(In The Morning We Land), a song I really liked.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Of course, Joane Hetu went on to do lots of things with higher profile during the 90s and 2000s, but WB were interesting for being as raw and still accomplished as they were; and, FWIW, probably the only all-lesbian "progressive" band to make much of an impression on anyone.
    Dunno where you heard the "all lesbian" bit, but saxophonist Jean Derome - Hetu's husband of many years - might be surprised by that news.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad to the Bone View Post
    Dunno where you heard the "all lesbian" bit, but saxophonist Jean Derome - Hetu's husband of many years - might be surprised by that news.
    Ha - there were supposed to be quotation marks around it. The "all lesbian" part stems from a discussion on Simoneda (in a Charming Hostess thread, I believe?) from many years back right here in this very place, and the Derome connection was purposefully adapted to logic then as well.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    You forced me to go onto Youtube and listen to it again. It’s irresistible!

Quote Originally Posted by Brad to the Bone View Post
    I’m sure every member of an all-female band with at least one lesbian member has been assumed to be one as well. Carole MacDonald warned prospective members of Isis as much.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I think you guys may want to hear Ptarmigan again. I think this goes way beyond "nice acoustic folk" myself, and sounds like it could have come from Germany during this era. You be the judge:

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I don't have any of these, but have come across the titles over the years. Some aren't Prog, but if you are familiar with them and would like to comment, feel free. A few were mentioned earlier without comment.
    Hey Mark - I have a lot of these up on my site. Just some quick highlights though.

> Eden -same

Good symphonic. One I'm sure you'd like. The LP can usually be found for a good price.

>Emerald City -'Waiting For The Dawn'

Decent Hard rock.

> Humanist Advent Concept -'Invasion'
    -'Supra Surge'

These are actually on CD from Long Hair !?! (Germany). Late in the game (1979-1981) psych influenced rock.

>A Joker's Memory -same

Lev stated it well... A pretty bad 20 minute amateurish AOR album.

> Pascal Languirand -'Minos'

I love this album (all 3 of his albums actually). Electronic field - Very much like Richard Pinhas with loud guitar as a bonus.

> Claude Leveille -'Black Sun'

Another nice symphonic rock album. He's a well known SSW, but this would be his one foray into progressive rock.

> Le Match -'Legendes'

Another one I think you'd like, Mark. Reminds me a lot of the type of progressive rock you'd find in the American Midwest during the mid 70s, except sung in French.

> VIIth Temple -'Under The Burning Sun'

Sort of a basement prog band. Reminded me some of very early Rush. EP length album. Worth hearing at least.

> Time -'Before There Was Time'

This Time (of the many bands with the moniker) is from Urbana, Illinois.

> Ungava -same

I think Sean mentioned this one, but I think it's a very good guitar fronted trio with additional sax/flute.

> Wanka -'The Orange Album'

I had high hopes for this one, but it's straight up rock.

Anyway, I have more notes on the site regarding many of these.

Thanks for the rundown, Tom. I'll have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanukisbrave View Post

Still would love to see their 3 lp's on CD someday....
    A lot of good ones mentioned, many new to me. But this maybe hit me deepest somehow. Quite beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    A lot of good ones mentioned, many new to me. But this maybe hit me deepest somehow. Quite beautiful.
    I recently found their three albums in a secondhand store here in Oslo, rather cheap. Had them all on CD-Rs, but it's really great to come across such strong stuff in their original formats. Very solid albums indeed.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I would think a remaster/remix of these 3 lps for CD would really make them shine...

wouldn't this one sound right at home on a later 70's caravan CD?

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

Terraced Garden is fantastic! Their 2nd album, "Braille" is my favorite.

I would think a remaster/remix of these 3 lps for CD would really make them shine...

wouldn't this one sound right at home on a later 70's caravan CD?
    Indeed, just a touch of a Richard Sinclair vocal style, there. Add them to the growing list of 'fine Canadian music I wish I knew about in the 70s'.
    Edit: Just listened to 'Empty Beach', wow that one is particularly moving. Definitely a Camel/Canterbury flavor with a strong grasp of melody. Great stuff!
    Last edited by bill g; 05-03-2015 at 09:35 PM.

Just so you know Bill, the Terraced Garden Lp's where 82, 84 and 1988.. and a fourth release in the early 90's that was never released.

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

and a fourth release in the early 90's that was never released.
    I never heard of this. Thx for the information!

Terraced Garden were actually one of the very best progressive groups from the North American continent in the 80s, IMHO. Not as magnificently original as Miriodor or Wondeur Brass or Orthotonics or However, perhaps, but just as dedicated.

I love Jelly Fiche.

Are they still active?

hard to believe they were never asked to play a US. festival.

Quote Originally Posted by Levgan View Post
    Here you go, Hugues: http://www.discogs.com/Sylvette-Alla...elease/2841434

I always referred to it as just De L'Onde a L'Infini, but here it is credited to the performers, which is probably more correct. As you can see, this is just piano and ondes martenot (weird early electronic instrument), so definitely not for everyone, but I thought it's a brilliant piece of chamber music.
    Sylvette Allart was a French ondist who accompanied Jacques Brel. She also guests on, of all things, Stolen From Time by the Norwegian band Popol Ace!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    I love Jelly Fiche.

Are they still active?

hard to believe they were never asked to play a US. festival.
    They started to record a more Pop Album several years ago, an Idea the gave up eventually.

They went on to do a Prog Album then, which did not happen till today. I think they released a single song
    in 2014.

They play live from time to time but the whole thing is somewhat on hold now.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Already mentioned at the top of this page.

GGiant influenced several Quebecois bands (Maneige, Pollen, Opus-5, L'Engoulevent etc.), and even a couple of the Ottawa groups, like True Myth and Terraced Garden.
    Not completely sure, but always thought True Myth was out of London, Ontario.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I don't have any of these, but have come across the titles over the years. Some aren't Prog, but if you are familiar with them and would like to comment, feel free. A few were mentioned earlier without comment.

Aaron Space -same
    Alpha Centauri -same
    Darkstar -'Into The Heartland'
    Eden -same
    Emerald City -'Waiting For The Dawn'
    Fist -'Round One'
    Freedom North -same
    Horn -'On The People's Side'
    Humanist Advent Concept -'Invasion'
    -'Supra Surge'
    The Hunt -same
    Hyde -same
    L'Infonie -'Vol. 333'
    A Joker's Memory -same
    Karroll Brothers -same
    Pascal Languirand -'Minos'
    Claude Leveille -'Black Sun'
    Mann Made -same
    Mantis -same
    Le Match -'Legendes'
    Moonstone -same
    Orphee -'Venant Du Meme Rocher'
    Jacques Tom Rivest -same
    -same (2)
    VIIth Temple -'Under The Burning Sun'
    Sex -same
    -'The End Of My Life'
    Les Sinners -same
    Syrinx -same
    -'Long Lost Relatives'
    Time -'Before There Was Time'
    Ungava -same
    Martin Wall -'Metaphysical Facelift'
    Wanka -'The Orange Album'
    W D Fisher -same
    Z.O.U. -same
    Pretty sure I still have original Mann Made album. I bought cause the cover looked cool and it was on cheap.

Moonstone very cool folk band out of Quebec, but not francophone, iirc. A couple tracks on that album are just stellar!

Speaking of Syrinx.RVNG released a 2cd set of their stuff last year.Just bought it last week and it's the real deal.Recommended.

https://rvng.bandcamp.com/album/tumblers-from-the-vault

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

From Vancouver, BLACK MOUNTAIN https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5hsj8KsQ0U . I like the BC band BUTTLESS CHAPS album Where Night Holds Light. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MChXTseHSH4
    I remember tomorrow

Vinyl reissues of the Wanka album are up for pre-order. 300 copies only, for anyone interested...

https://www.sonicagerecords.com/_sho...RWCBpSMAjlx9mw
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***