Thread: Metallica - Lords Of Summer

Metallica - Lords Of Summer

Any 'Tallica fans heard this yet?

I love it. Can't wait until the new album is released. I'm all over it. I've only heard this new track once but I think it's killer. It's more of the same, long, adventurous stuff they've been doing since Death Magnetic/Beyond Magnetic. Hard to tell if this track is the finished product or if it's a demo. The guitars are a little raw but they almost have a vintage, Sabbathy quality. I think it sounds great.

Yes, I heard it last summer when it was released.

Good tune, but I'm expecting better on the next album, which is coming along nicely according to Hammett. They had something like 30 song ideas, so hopefully they choose the best ones. I was pretty pleased with Death Magnetic after the terrible missteps of St. Anger and Lulu, and I'm taking an educated guess that the next one will be along the same lines. I sure hope so, at any rate.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Last summer? Where've I been?

Well, I read a Kirk interview on Classic Rock about the new album, and he said that it's more "prog" than the last one. I don't think he actually said "prog" but progressive in the vein of Death Magnetic and AJFA. In other words, they're imitating themselves. They're in a comfort zone doing 8-10 minute songs with tempo and mood changes. They're kind of like Iron Maiden in that sense. They're recording music for their core fans and doing it pretty well.

I thought Death Magnetic was really good. In fact I just pulled it out for a listen last week and it still kicks ass. Looking forward to the new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    They're kind of like Iron Maiden in that sense.
    Only not as talented.

Yeah but Maiden has 6 guys in the group. Technically Maiden have better musicians, but I just like Metallica more. I like James singing more than Bruce, and the classic albums are as good as or better than all the Maiden albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I was pretty pleased with Death Magnetic after the terrible missteps of St. Anger and Lulu, and I'm taking an educated guess that the next one will be along the same lines. I sure hope so, at any rate.
    Totally agreed on Lulu. Definitely not on St. Anger. I know people love to hate it but it works for me. looking fwd to hearing the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    Totally agreed on Lulu. Definitely not on St. Anger. I know people love to hate it but it works for me.
    I want to like it, I just don't. Although I did give it another shot a while back and it wasn't as bad as I remembered. There were even a few tracks I might slot into my Metallica playlist I listen to at work. But I cringe at that awful drum sound... what was he thinking??
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I want to like it, I just don't. Although I did give it another shot a while back and it wasn't as bad as I remembered. There were even a few tracks I might slot into my Metallica playlist I listen to at work. But I cringe at that awful drum sound... what was he thinking??
    If you're going to give St. Anger another shot, I'd suggest listening to the rehearsal version they did. My CD came with a whole DVD of them playing the entire record in rehearsal. it's a million times better than the recording.

It's on youtube as well