Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Martin Barre US Tour '15

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Allen/Houston - Lower East Side. Right near Mercury Lounge.
    Is that within walking distance of Katz's?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Is that within walking distance of Katz's?
    Yup! So if you have a relative still fighting WWII, you can send a care package.

Thanks to Bruno for posting the link to Martin Barre's Spanish gig. I quite enjoyed that and I would go to a show if he came to my part of the world.
    I had a look at setlist.fm for some of Mr Barre's other shows and was very surprised to see that the band does a cover of Porcupine Tree's Blackest Eyes.
    It's not too bad (let down by the drummer I think) and the jazzy bit starting at 2:44 is an interesting variation.
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

Good stuff... would love to see them. The Tull songs vary... the older bluesy material seems to fare best. That was a damn cool arrangement of Eleanore Rigby.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Good stuff... would love to see them. The Tull songs vary... the older bluesy material seems to fare best. That was a damn cool arrangement of Eleanore Rigby.
    The older bluesy material didn't have keys, right?

I really don't understand why Martin wouldn't hire a keys player if he's going to do a plethora of Tull songs, when Ian was asked about John Evans' joining back in the Benefit days he said he felt keys rounded out the band's sound and "we've used them ever since, haven't we?"

Same thing to even a greater extent with Carl Palmer doing ELP material with a power trio, I actually left their concert at intermission, I mean it just didn't sound right, you know?

I watched most of the Spain show and I liked it a lot. Martin has a good guitars-only sound now and I think no flute or keys is the right idea. I remember he had a band in 2012 or 13 where he had a sax player and a totally MOR singer. Talented people, but it just didn't work. This does.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I watched most of the Spain show and I liked it a lot. Martin has a good guitars-only sound now and I think no flute or keys is the right idea. I remember he had a band in 2012 or 13 where he had a sax player and a totally MOR singer. Talented people, but it just didn't work. This does.
    Agreed - I don't think the keys are a necessary component of most Jethro Tull songs that have them (And he wouldn't be playing the stuff where they are necessary, anyway). His sound will be most successful, IMO, by not trying to re-create Jethro Tull.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Agreed - I don't think the keys are a necessary component of most Jethro Tull songs that have them (And he wouldn't be playing the stuff where they are necessary, anyway). His sound will be most successful, IMO, by not trying to re-create Jethro Tull.
    "most that have them"...try all. TAAB was practically a 45-minute organ solo, APP, Songs from the Woods, I mean you're kidding, right? Pretty sure Mr Anderson would be on my side of the argument.
    Last edited by BarryLI; 11-10-2015 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    "most that have them"...try all. TAAB was practically a 45-minute organ solo, APP, Songs from the Woods, I mean you're kidding, right? Pretty sure Mr Anderson would be on my side of the argument.

"Most" means anything more than 50%, and I said that Barre would not likely select songs to play in which keyboards were a necessary component. And, no, I don't think that keys are a necessary component to all of TAAB.

As far as Ian Anderson goes, I'm sure Martin Barre values Ian Anderson's opinions concerning the most effective way for Barre's band to arrange Tull songs about as much as I do, which isn't very. There are plenty of Tull songs where the album keys parts can either be eliminated outright, or dealt with by using other instruments, for interesting new takes.

Minstrel is certainly a guitar-driven song but I miss the texture of the organ. And why skip the whole instrumental opening? That was one of his crowning moments in Tull! All the albums prior to TaaB don't rely very much on keys, as nice as they are, again, from a texture point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Minstrel is certainly a guitar-driven song but I miss the texture of the organ. And why skip the whole instrumental opening? That was one of his crowning moments in Tull! All the albums prior to TaaB don't rely very much on keys, as nice as they are, again, from a texture point of view.
    C'mon, Fred, can you possibly imagine TAAB without John and his B3?

And you may think of Aqualung as being very guitar-driven, but to me that heavy block-chording on the piano really does a lot to establish the feel of the album.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    C'mon, Fred, can you possibly imagine TAAB without John and his B3?
    Prior to Taab I said And I agree on Aqualung- all of them as I said, but Aqualung and the others are more conducive to not having keys; especially some songs more than others.

does anybody know for sure if he will have this or a band on this tour

http://anneleightonmedia.blogspot.co...south-and.html My friend Anne is Martin's publicist & asked me to post that link as this is a massively busy time for her. She also says that "We're working on one more date and also that Binghamton will be moved to a new TBA venue within 20 minutes of Eclipse. The building got sold and we're just working on some leads."
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Didn't know he had a new album released back in September! Anyone heard it and care to comment?

51QHIDyY2bL._SX466_.jpg

Saw this tour last night and if you are a fan of the electric guitar side of Tull this is a must see!

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

From my FB page (spoilers below)-

"Seeing Jethro Tull guitarist Martin Barre and his crackin' four piece tonight was really cool! Those biting, bluesy solos and big, bruising riffs are in tact and in fact, I think he's improved over the years. Heard a lot of fast runs that almost made me think of Steve Morse at times. The other guitarist played the Ian Anderson role and really sounded a lot like him. Probably more than Ian does himself anymore! His solo material was catchy and riff-tastic with more than a little blues influence. On the Tull tunes they reimagined many with a two guitar harmony approach that was very tasty and often very intricate. The opener To Cry You Song may be my fave of the night though others like a chunk of side two of Thick As A Brick, a revved up Song For Jeffrey and heavy version of Teacher are some hilights I enjoyed most. Also, a very unique cover of Eleanor Rigby that sounded like it would had Tull recorded it in the 70s, sorta. Didn't even recognize it until the vocals came in and even then, it was way different. They opened the second set with Blackest Eyes from Porcupine Tree and nailed it. Those big riffs are a no brainer for a man that is known for them anyway! I suspect only a handful in the room even knew it was a PT cover or who the band was. Average age in the audience was mid 60s. Probably fans since the early 70s. Killer band and a setlist that should please many a Tull fan young and old. Good to see some old friends too."

PS there's no sax on this tour (a good thing), unlike some other recent ones. A dash here and there is ok but shoehorned into songs that really don't need it borders on lounge so it's nice they decided to let the guitars handle everything this time.
    Last edited by Sean; 12-03-2015 at 10:53 AM.

I second what Sean says. I saw them perform in Asheville this evening and they blew the roof off! Holy smoke to see Martin playing like... what? A man half his age or younger?! In front of an appreciative audience of 200 maybe? To hear those Tull songs from your youth played with such passion and power, well, Ian doesn't know what he lost. I got to talk to Martin just briefly and asked him about the Cruise to the Edge tour, if he got to see his old bandmate Jonathan Noyce. He said he did and got to hang out with him. He said Jonathan was a great guy. Of course he knew about Gary Green's heart attack and he said he needed to get in touch with him. I got to talk to Alan Thompson who does the bass duties (and a little slide guitar ;-) much longer. I asked him if he knew if Ian had heard them and he said he didn't think so but he was sure he had heard reports. A smile and a wink ;-). I have to say I like Martin's new album 'Back to Steel' better then Ian's last 2 offerings but it's nothing to seeing them live! Dan Crisp has the vocals pretty well nailed and though he might sound somewhat like Ian he's not a facsimile, to me anyway. I asked the drummer George Lindsay (he spells his name with an 'a' vs an 'e') if he ever got called 'Goober'. He looked at me kind of puzzled. None of them had ever heard of The Andy Griffith Show! George had an back operation at the beginning of the year and has 2 steel rods bolted on each side of his spine. Alan said he went from being 6'4" to 6'8"! The guy is a giant and a powerhouse on the drums, really makes everything stick together and was never flashy. I highly recommend you go see them if they are coming near you. They'll be back next year I believe in April and September with a western leg planned.

4 December - Harvester Performance Center, Rocky Mount,
    VA, USA - Tickets

6 December - Jammin Java, Vienna, VA, USA - Tickets

10 December - Sellersville Theater, Sellersville, PA, USA - Tickets

11 December - Dublin Double Celtic Pub, Endicott, NY, USA - Tickets

13 December - Beachland Ballroom and Tavern, Cleveland,
    OH, USA - Tickets

15 December - The Lovin' Cup, Rochester, NY, USA - Tickets

18 December - Spire Center, Plymouth, MA, USA - Tickets

19 December - Rockwood Music Hall, New York, NY - USA - (Early show) SOLD OUT

19 December - Rockwood Music Hall, New York, NY - USA - (Second show added) 9.30pm - Tickets

20 December - The Ballroom at The Outer Space, Hamden, CT - USA - Tickets
    Last edited by Dok; 12-04-2015 at 02:35 AM.

Awesome review!! Yes, SEE this tour, Tull fans!

Saw them on the ship, definitely worth seeing.

Thick as a Brick^^

Teacher^^

Blackest Eyes^^

I will be at the Sellersville show.

Space Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Marsh View Post
    I will be at the Sellersville show.
    Same here! Glad to see that is has sold out already too. Will be a great night!

I picked up two tickets about 3 weeks ago and they were already sold back to row Q (5th from the rear). The venue seats 335. It's a great place to see a show, and being about 20 minutes away doesn't hurt.