Thread: AAJ Review: Porcupine Tree, Octane Twisted

AAJ Review: Porcupine Tree, Octane Twisted

My review of Porcupine Tree's new live CD/DVD set, Octane Twisted, today at All About Jazz.

A two-CD, one-DVD set with the entirety of a 2009 performance of the group's last record, The Incident, Octane Twisted's second CD features a smattering of PT material old and new, from the same Chicago date, as well as one at London's Royal Albert Hall half a year later.

With PT on hiatus, at the very least, according to Wilson in his 2012 All About Jazz interview, Octane Twisted will have to satisfy PT fans' jones for a new record until - and if- Wilson decides to rejoin his band mates for another record and tour.

Review here.

Nicely done, John!
    "So...you seek understanding. Then listen to the music and not the song..." - Kosh

Really been enjoying this one.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I am enjoying the second disc very much. Still don't care too much about The Incident material.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    So,

I have Octane Twisted (CD & DVD) and Anesthetise. Any good reason to buy The Incident and Fear of a Blank Planet?

I was disappointed in the performance, it felt like it lacked "energy." One of the great interviews with Wilson posted around here recently, he said he didn't want to release the cd because he didn't feel like it was a great performance, but was over ruled. Interesting. I agree.
    I don't know why they didn't release the Radio City Music Hall performance if it was recorded, those guys were effing possessed that night! It'll take some doing for Harrison to top himself after that night, he was absolutely astounding!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I have Octane Twisted (CD & DVD) and Anesthetise. Any good reason to buy The Incident and Fear of a Blank Planet?
    The ability to listen to FoaBP away from your DVD player?

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    I was disappointed in the performance, it felt like it lacked "energy." One of the great interviews with Wilson posted around here recently, he said he didn't want to release the cd because he didn't feel like it was a great performance, but was over ruled. Interesting. I agree.
    I don't know why they didn't release the Radio City Music Hall performance if it was recorded, those guys were effing possessed that night! It'll take some doing for Harrison to top himself after that night, he was absolutely astounding!
    Something about technical problems and the staggering cost Radio City requires on releasing material recorded there.
    American Hollow - my prog band.

Quote Originally Posted by playbass View Post
    Something about technical problems and the staggering cost Radio City requires on releasing material recorded there.
    Hmm. Too bad, it was a kick ass show.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    The ability to listen to FoaBP away from your DVD player?
    I made a copy of the audio for my MP3 player.

I enjoy it, but I also would have preferred a RC album.

Quote Originally Posted by playbass View Post
    It certainly was kick ass - actually 3 concerts in one that night. It would have been a 5 disk set. With special packaging and DVD version Wilson would probably have charged $200 for it.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I made a copy of the audio for my MP3 player.
    The songs were performed pretty close to the originals, so I guess it mainly comes down to whether you like the different mixes. And maybe whether you're a completist, although I guess not since you haven't grabbed them both already.

I enjoy the DVD quite a bit. Nicely shot, and I always enjoyed The Incident more when seeing the band perform it with the accompanying visuals.

For my tastes, I'm still not a huge fan of live albums, audio-wise. Despite all the advances in live recording technology, I still much prefer the studio versions, unless I can actually see the band playing the tunes. That changes everything.

A lot of people like live releases and for those missing PT, I would think it is a good purchase.

neil