Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: A song that sounds like it should be by another band...

Quote Originally Posted by yoyiceu View Post
    When I first heard The Doors' 'Hello I Love You' I thought it was The Kinks...
    When I first heard The Kinks' "Destroyer", I thought it was The Doors "Hello, I Love You" -- which I thought was The Kinks' "All Day, All Night"...........

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Many early Bee Gees songs sounded like Beatles-lite. There’s also “Odessa (City on the Black Sea),” which is more Moody Blues.
    'Playdown' and 'Wine And Women', two songs they did in Australia before the move to London, are worth checking out, very Beatle-y and two favourites of mine. On 'Odessa' 'Marley Purt Drive' often seems to attract comparisons with The Band. Some of Maurice's songs over the years are quite Beach Boys-inspired...'Wallflower' and 'Walking On Air', for instance.

RE; The Hollies. They did some interesting work in the early 70s that is often overlooked. 'Confessions Of A Mind' I always felt had a Moody Blues vibe ('Question', for example). And weirdly enough they sounded like CSN on their cover of 'Magic Woman Touch', recorded when not only Nash had left (gone for a few years by then) but also when Allan Clarke briefly left the band.

And talking of Sad Cafe, their 'My Oh My' is very Rolling Stones.
    Last edited by JJ88; 05-11-2015 at 04:30 PM.

Suspended
    I never knew the Hollies' "Magic Woman Touch" was a cover. Who did the original?

A progressive band (funnily enough)called The Greatest Show On Earth. 'Magic Woman Touch' was a total bomb in the UK, which I find baffling, it's very commercial and appealing. The one hit they had with that line-up was 'The Baby'...I'm not sure who that does sound like, but it doesn't sound like The Hollies!

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    A progressive band (funnily enough)called The Greatest Show On Earth. 'Magic Woman Touch' was a total bomb in the UK, which I find baffling, it's very commercial and appealing. The one hit they had with that line-up was 'The Baby'...I'm not sure who that does sound like, but it doesn't sound like The Hollies!
    Well, there you go. I've never heard "The Baby".

Looking at Wikipedia it appears there were quite a few times when a certain song was a big hit in certain countries and a flop in others. "Too Young To Be Married" is a case in point. It topped the charts in Australia.

It always puzzled me why their cover of "4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)" wasn't a hit outside the UK. I like it better than Bruce's original.

^I don't think 'Sandy' was a hit here...not sure I can ever recall hearing it on oldies radio, only on the band's own CDs.

'Too Young To Be Married' is far better on the live version they did in New Zealand, they did it at a slower tempo and without the orchestra. The original was merely an album track here, on 'Confessions Of A Mind'. They had another one 'Long Dark Road' which sold quite well in the US but that was just an album track here (on 'Distant Light').
    Last edited by JJ88; 05-12-2015 at 12:24 PM.

Al Stewart's On The Border could've been made by The Eagles (for decades I thought it was the case)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    It always puzzled me why their cover of "4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)" wasn't a hit outside the UK. I like it better than Bruce's original.
    Know that a mere 10,000 miles away, a voice is calling "you are not alone".
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I thought Klaatu sounded a lot like the Beatles.

Umm, no I didn't
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Suspended
    I don't think Klaatu sounded much like the Beatles, but I do hear a lot of similarity to some of Paul McCartney's solo work.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    And talking of Sad Cafe, their 'My Oh My' is very Rolling Stones.
    "Every Day Hurts" is another song that sounds like Hall & Oates to me.

And I heard "Thunder Island" by Jay Ferguson (not Jay Gould...oops!) on the radio earlier this week, and originally mistook it for a Chicago song. The lack of horns was the tip-off.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

UK's Carrying No Cross could have been ELP's last great epic.

Pink Floyd's One Slip has a true Crimson sound to it, and I suppose it should, given that Tony Levin was playing Stick on it...

Another one: “Lotta Love” by Nicolette Larson. Totally sounds like Linda Ronstadt.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Al Stewart / Greg Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Al Stewart's On The Border could've been made by The Eagles (for decades I thought it was the case)
    I originally thought that Pet Shop Boys "West End Girls" was Al Stewart reinventing himself...

There's a new song out called "Big Decisions" by a band called "My Morning Jacket" and if you close your eyes, especially on the chorus,
    I imagine "Greg Lake"...

Quote Originally Posted by irongoalie View Post
    I originally thought that Pet Shop Boys "West End Girls" was Al Stewart reinventing himself...
    I did too! I had forgotten about that but I remember hearing that song for the first time and thinking damn, Al, WTF...

Yesterday I heard Pur - Vereint and it reminded me on Eloy, before the vocals kicked in.

^^

Pur formed spontaneous (as Opus) after a chance meeting at an Anyone's Daughter concert.
    You can hear that very cleary on their first two albums.

They are also very big Genesis fans.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    ^^

Pur formed spontaneous (as Opus) after a chance meeting at an Anyone's Daughter concert.
    You can hear that very cleary on their first two albums.

They are also very big Genesis fans.
    And to link Pur and Anyone's Daughter, Heinz Rudolf Kunze has Matthias Ulmer (Anyone's Daughter) in his band and did a duet with Pur vocalist Hartmut Engler.

RSC from Polen who Sound a lot like early Kansas

Another band that sounded like early Kansas was Zello from Sweden.

Last edited by Digital_Man; 05-30-2015 at 06:11 PM.

^^

Zello was a peculiar band, definetly Kansas copycats but they also had a very strong love for Jethro Tull's
    Broadsword and the Beast Album. I remember one track that was a nearly one to one copy of the song Broadsword
    including parts of the lyrics.

Speaking of Kansas and Jethro Tull..

Cytrus another band from Poland that sound like both combined