Thread: FEATURED CD - Indukti : S.U.S.A.R.

FEATURED CD - Indukti : S.U.S.A.R.

Per my friend Pete - aka "SoT dude" :
    Shades of vintage King Crimson, Porcupine Tree, and Tool permeate the debut from Polish prog band Indukti. Their album S.U.S.A.R., on The Laser's Edge label, is a smouldering cauldron of progressive rock and metal sounds, with plenty of complex passages, atmospheric waves, and ethnic flavored melodies created by violin and harp. The majority of the album is instrumental, and at times the music really smokes. Take the song "No. 11811" for instance, a real barnburner, which starts off like some long lost Mahavishnu Orchestra piece with dueling violin and guitar, then turns into a brutally heavy rocker with thick guitar riffs and crashing drums. Things quiet down quite a bit as the song segues into "...And Weak II", a melancholy fusion based number that again reminds of Mahavishu with perhaps a little Jean Luc Ponty thrown in for good measure. The violin work of Ewa Jablonska is superb here, as she soars above the gentle electric guitar chords of Piotr Kocimski & Maciej Jaskiewicz before the band comes crashing back in with full hard rock force that will instantly remind you of Bruford/Wetton/Cross/Fripp era King Crimson. The vocal pieces "Cold Inside...I" and "Shade" are less jagged and heavy, more in a Marillion, or Porcupine Tree style, yet contain cool melodies and plenty of tasty guitar work.

S.U.S.A.R. will certainly appeal to fans of heavier progressive rock. The mixing of heavy, almost metal-ish riffs with intricate and majestic violin flights adds the right amount of fusion and prog flavor to the CD's seven tunes, and the rhythm section simply impresses from start to finish. Indukti should be an exciting band to catch live I'd imagine as well. Chalk up another winner for Ken Golden's Laser's Edge label.
    http://seaoftranquility.org/reviews....ontent&id=2701

Regards,

Duncan

Great album! Have not listened to it in a long time, but have always liked it.

I enjoy this one. It has a great energy to it!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

It's a fine debut. I like the second one as well, with the Nils Frykdahl contribution and all, but I think this one has altogether stronger material.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Oh man, great album. Kind of came out of nowhere for me. Loved their set at NEARFest.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Oh man, great album. Kind of came out of nowhere for me. Loved their set at NEARFest.
    +1 to that Brother.

However, the post that mentioned a comparison to Marillion is lost on me. I do hear the psudo Mahavishnu/"RED"-era Crimson though. This gets regular spins at my place.

I love both of their discs...
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!

I love this CD so much that if it were legal, and it may be in Vermont, I'd marry it. Great energy, fantastic mix of tunes, and thick with atmosphere.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

I got some decent mileage out of it when it first came out. I haven't heard it (or even thought about it) in years.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

While I had heard of Indukti, I didn't really listen to them until recently after getting into Riverside and finding out the connection with Mariusz Duda, which gave me interest. What I've listened to on Spotify sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    It's a fine debut. I like the second one as well, with the Nils Frykdahl contribution and all, but I think this one has altogether stronger material.
    +1

neil

Probably my favourite album from 2005 although NOSOUND's Sol 29 is amazing too.
    Love both of their studio albums and the debut with Duda singing on a couple of tracks blew me away back then. The violin really adds some colour to the proceedings, the girl can play.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
    I didn't really listen to them until recently after getting into Riverside and finding out the connection with Mariusz Duda, which gave me interest.
    I have to say that for me, bands like Indukti, Ankh, Armia, Tatvamasi and Gargantua actually make out a most positive contrast to that bunch of rather uniform "neo-prog/metal/post-Porky" artists streaming out from Poland since the 90s. I thought Riverside's debut was OK, though.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

This album kicks ass. I thought they were great at NF. Second album has some great stuff on it too.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Whatever happened to these guys (and girl)?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I have to say that for me, bands like Indukti, Ankh, Armia, Tatvamasi and Gargantua actually make out a most positive contrast to that bunch of rather uniform "neo-prog/metal/post-Porky" artists streaming out from Poland since the 90s. I thought Riverside's debut was OK, though.
    Armia is an old (post-)punk band hailing from the 80s... Good stuff with a unique sound. As well as Kormorany - a sort of Polish translation of the Gong universe onto Eastern Europe's realities. I saw them live twice and even carried away their live CD "Teraz" they sold during their gigs.

As for modern progressive music in Poland there is much more to it than the "neo-prog/metal/post-Porky" agriculture. Pogodno's "Sejtenik Miuzik & Romantik Loff" (2001) was a tasty modern take of proggy psychedelia, Tymański Yass Ensemble led by Polish Frank Zappa Tymon Tymański married jazz, rock and minimalism, while Małe Instrumenty left their toy instruments niche on "Chemia i Fizyka" (2012) and started to seriously explore sonic possibilities in the post-rock world. Just a few of my faves...
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 04-17-2015 at 05:24 PM.

^^

I know Armia fairly well, and I've heard Pogodno and liked it. Tymanski and Male Instrumenty I'll have to get back to.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Great at Baja Prog too!.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Phenomenal debut. Loved the second one too but it sounds like a completely different band. Not a bad thing at all. I hope they put something else out, and its as different again.

Quote Originally Posted by LighthouseKeeper View Post
    Phenomenal debut. Loved the second one too but it sounds like a completely different band. Not a bad thing at all. I hope they put something else out, and its as different again.
    I agree with you, two very different albums but both homeruns. Love Ninth Wave off of the second one.
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    Whatever happened to these guys (and girl)?
    Her name is Ewa and she also did the cover art for SUSAR.
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten