Thread: Selling England By The Pound 1994 CD booklet

Selling England By The Pound 1994 CD booklet

Just noticed that the booklet is a really unprofessional job, not befitting the marvellous music on the CD. The booklet starts with The Battle Of Epping Forest, prints half the lyrics then has After The Ordeal listed with more The Battle lyrics as if they belong to The Battle, followed by The Battle..continued. Cinema Show and Aisle Of Plenty follow. The second half of the booklet then starts with Dancing With The Moonlit Knight!!!

How on earth did such a shockingly bad botch job ever get through to production? More Fool Me for not rejecting this as faulty when I bought it. See what I did there?

These have a variety of botches, sadly. 'Seconds Out' and 'Three Sides Live' for instance had the 'tracking' in the wrong place.

I still don't know what the "official" title of my favorite Genesis song is, because it's spelled differently on various editions it's appeared on. Is it "Carpet Crawlers", or "Carpet Crawl", or "The Carpet Crawlers", or ...?

The Crawling Carpets

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    "And the lava's the lover who licks your boobs away." My Seconds Out booklet.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    "And the lava's the lover who licks your boobs away." My Seconds Out booklet.
    The funny thing is, if that was a Gabriel lyric, you would not immediately pick it up as a misprint. It's quite in character for him.
    With their bodies they test, touch, taste
    All that is mine

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Just noticed that the booklet is a really unprofessional job, not befitting the marvellous music on the CD. The booklet starts with The Battle Of Epping Forest, prints half the lyrics then has After The Ordeal listed with more The Battle lyrics as if they belong to The Battle, followed by The Battle..continued. Cinema Show and Aisle Of Plenty follow. The second half of the booklet then starts with Dancing With The Moonlit Knight!!!

How on earth did such a shockingly bad botch job ever get through to production? More Fool Me for not rejecting this as faulty when I bought it. See what I did there?
    I have both the Nursery Cryme and Selling England By The Pound reissues, and the lyrics are printed this way on both. However, the lyric sheets for Foxtrot (reissued by the same label) are printed in order.
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

the vinyl replica (japan) is correct!

Yep, I have that version, one of four of that title!

That booklet was completely botched.

As for sound, for my money, no version has ever come close to the perfection of the original vinyl.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    The funny thing is, if that was a Gabriel lyric, you would not immediately pick it up as a misprint. It's quite in character for him.
    Howzabout a song or two later:
    Don't Delay. Dock the dick!
    I'm pretty sure that I had a version of Nursery Cryme that didn't include Steve Hackett in the liner notes when crediting the bandmembers. Maybe Tony Banks had something to do with that?

There's no excuse for such a lack of attention to detail. I'm a designer and there's not much that aggravates me more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by olivetti View Post
    the vinyl replica (japan) is correct!
    I have some Japanese vinyls of Beatles releases and the lyrics are quite hilarious. Apparently, someone was tasked with the job of transcribing them by ear. Even previously released classics, Like "Rock and Roll Music" were botched with lines like "So keep a rocking that piano" being printed as "So keep a rocking that beat I know." Really? Even if Lennon's singing is hard to discern, Chuck's original is quite clear.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    There's no excuse for such a lack of attention to detail. I'm a designer and there's not much that aggravates me more than that.

I have some Japanese vinyls of Beatles releases and the lyrics are quite hilarious. Apparently, someone was tasked with the job of transcribing them by ear. Even previously released classics, Like "Rock and Roll Music" were botched with lines like "So keep a rocking that piano" being printed as "So keep a rocking that beat I know." Really? Even if Lennon's singing is hard to discern, Chuck's original is quite clear.
    My favourite Japanese mistranslation is from Zepp's "Immigrant Song" - 'we are your overload'.

Pink Floyd's 'Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun" is like that.

I have one CD booklet that has the line "Knowledge of love is knowledge of shadow" and another has it as "One inch of love is one inch of shadow..."
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

From what I understand, they don't use "professional" translators. They just use guys who work in the office whose ability with English isn't really up to doing the task accurately. I imagine the use of literary devices like alliteration, slang, etc, makes the job probably difficult even for a pro.

There was a Blue Oyster Cult website a number of years ago that listed on the mistranslated lyrics in the Japanese editions of their albums.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    From what I understand, they don't use "professional" translators. They just use guys who work in the office whose ability with English isn't really up to doing the task accurately. I imagine the use of literary devices like alliteration, slang, etc, makes the job probably difficult even for a pro.

There was a Blue Oyster Cult website a number of years ago that listed on the mistranslated lyrics in the Japanese editions of their albums.
    Then there's this:

http://www.engrish.com/

All in good fun, folks.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Then there's this:

http://www.engrish.com/

All in good fun, folks.
    ^^ Good clean fun. Thanks for sharing!
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I still love the Marillion boot cd with the song "Catering the Single." 😂

I have seen both 'Pink Flod' and 'Genisis' graffitied onto walls before now.

Here is another piece of bizarre graffiti recently spotted:
    Making Wikipedia marginally more interesting at:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCul...PXchSo_vDxtcLg

Hehe. "One inch of love".