Thread: Anathema - Fine Days box set

Anathema - Fine Days box set

This arrived in my letterbox last night. Not sure if it's out on shop shelves yet.

I'd forgotten how good the three albums - Judgement, A Fine Day and Natural Disaster - sounded, and you can definitely hear a difference in the remastering. The music sounds clearer and deeper.

A Fine Day is the most interesting in this package as the running order has been re-sequenced, and preceeded by a new track originally meant to open the album but ditched at the time. The track itself is nothing outstanding but it does set the tone for the rest of the album, and the new running order worked well for me.

The box is topped off by the dvd of their ND tour, Were You There? I'm not sure if the original dvd had DTS mastering but this one does, and there are extra tracks, but these may also have been bonus materials on the original release.

The box is nicely presented and the booklet inside has some insightful comments for folk like me that only got into these albums much later in the day.

The only downer is the packaging of the discs, a variation on the plastic clips grabbing the discs from the outer rim instead of centre spindle, making the discs a bugger to extract without risking scratching them. In the end the clips snapped a bit too easily. But no matter, the discs were secure in transit, so I've swapped them into the original standalone cases.

Worth a punt if you don't have these albums already.

I have been tempted to order, as only have A Natural Disaster. It looks a lovely package, but it is disappointing to hear the packaging may damage the discs. I think the first run sold out on pre-order, judging by Burning Shed being out of stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I have been tempted to order, as only have A Natural Disaster. It looks a lovely package, but it is disappointing to hear the packaging may damage the discs. I think the first run sold out on pre-order, judging by Burning Shed being out of stock.
    Burning Shed now have them back in stock. It is a nice set and well worth buying if you want the other albums - ND also sounds better in this set.

Don't let my comments about the packaging put you off - the discs were securely locked in when it arrived so better that than the discs being loose and damaged. Once you've got 'em extracted just use single jewel cases.

got to be a better option than missing out on the good music within.

Suspended
    Of those, I only have A Natural Disaster. How does the music on the other two compare to that one? (I also have We're Here Because We're Here and Weather Systems.)

Judgement and Fine Day are both as good as Natural Disaster in my view.

The music on Judgement is a little heavier, as the band were still in transition from their earlier metal days, but Judgement isn't a heavy metal album, and it contains one of their finest ever songs "One Last Goodbye".

Fine Day was a little less accessible and a bit more intense - whereas Natural Disaster was more melancholic and cry-for-help, Fine Day is more a cry-of-frustration. The new running order works well on this album and it's now a pleasure to sit through, whereas previously it could be a little jagged in places.

Both of these albums are well worth checking out because you'll still recognise the band as the same one producing Weather Systems etc, only the music is a bit more aggressive, as the band try to work out what they want to be. By the time they get to Weather Systems they're more comfortable within themselves and the music reflects that growing confidence.

If that puts you off, try Hindsight: re-recorded versions of some of these songs in a stripped down format, quite mellow but still very passionate.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    If that puts you off, try Hindsight: re-recorded versions of some of these songs in a stripped down format, quite mellow but still very passionate.
    I've heard the remake of "Are You There?" from Hindsight, and i have to say I think it's better than the original album version.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 04-14-2015 at 12:58 PM.

Hmmm, I have both Fine Day and Natural Disaster, so it might be a stretch for me to pick this up for just Judgement and one additional song on Fine Day. Still, the completest in me is straining to get out. Fell for the band when We're Here... came out, and have been a huge fan ever since.
    slainté
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by geek sublime View Post
    it might be a stretch for me to pick this up for just Judgement and one additional song on Fine Day. Still, the completest in me is straining to get out. slainté
    Jamie
    Well, each album is being released individually as an LP/CD package....you could always buy the Judgement set and hang the LP on the wall

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I think someone else once said the same, but when it comes to Anathema, I love the song Thin Air on We're Here, but no other songs I've heard have grabbed me much. Granted I haven't invested that much time and there's a lot I've never heard. Is Thin Air an unusually good song for them? Maybe just way more accessible? Any other specific songs you'd recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Any other specific songs you'd recommend?
    Distant Satellites - Anathema

Weather Systems - Untouchable Pts 1 and 2, or The Storm Before The Calm

We're Here Because We're Here - Dreaming Light, A Simple Mistake or Hindsight (my wife hadn't heard the band before and this track is the one she liked and kept on repeat)

Natural Disaster - Flying or Are You There?

A Fine Day to Exit - Release or Looking Outside Inside

Judgement - One Last Goodbye or 2000 & Gone

See if any of these strike a chord with you.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I think someone else once said the same, but when it comes to Anathema, I love the song Thin Air on We're Here, but no other songs I've heard have grabbed me much. Granted I haven't invested that much time and there's a lot I've never heard. Is Thin Air an unusually good song for them? Maybe just way more accessible? Any other specific songs you'd recommend?
    I probably can't help you much, because I happen to think that most of the songs on WHBWH surpass Thin Air.

However, my favourites would be Dreaming Light, Universal and Hindsight (from WHBWH) and Untouchable parts 1 & 2, and The Lost Child, from Weather Systems.

Regarding the Untouchables, my initial reaction on hearing the album was that the two should have been separated, with Pt 2 the last or penultimate track. However I'm slowly coming round to the idea that they work just fine next to each other.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 04-16-2015 at 11:05 AM.