Thread: IQ in Quebec City

IQ in Quebec City

Making one of their rare but appreciated trips across the pond, neo-prog icons IQ played the second of the 2 gig N American tour Saturday at the Imperial in Quebec City (following Fri from Montreal). The set lists not only varied between Canada shows but also from the pre tour warm up show from the UK..

However, the proceedings were to take a foreboding tone when with about a 1/2 hour to show time , Guitarist Michael Holmes thanked everyone for coming and broke the news of Singer Pete Nicholls currently poor health status and suggested that an audience sing along might be in order to help prop up his ailing pipes but indeed they would "carry on"..(this hit yours truly quite hard as I actually believe that the sometimes thin and fragile, sometimes powerful but always emotive vocal stylings
    of Mr Nicholls are truly a group strength and would suffer on this rare event) --well--se la vie---

The show would feature the entire CD1 of Road of Bones with other older favorites and started with the ROB CD opener "From the Outside In"...
    The near capacity Quebec audience had been waiting for the moment for years and while sensing their front man was battling, he was still sounding 65-70% Ok...Musically the players were ready to take their game to the next level to pick up the slack..When the first song dramatically ended The Capitale du Prog audience exploded in an intense and extended applause as to signal to the Brits..you sound good enough to US- keep it going as long as YOU CAN !!

Yes, the vocals were inconsistent as physically expected..But the rock solid rhythms of Esau and Cookie, atmospheres, majestic chord and lead flourishes by multi-keyboardist Durant carried the IQ banner high. However special kudos are in order for one super player Mike Holmes..( there is a famous rock guitarist who wants to dial it to 11 at all times) but I would personally like this guitarists guitarist to crank it to 12 & 13 since his tone is incredibly beautiful and his emotional melodic leads rank side by side with Hacketts'..

An incredible setlist ended with an exciting full make up and costumed blast from the past (circa 1983) crowd favorite "The Enemy Smacks" a full blown nod to the Gabriel-Era Genesis...

The 1st encore saw IQ joined onstage by the lead singer of Canada's legendary "the Musical Box" and Pete and Denis traded off verses of Subterranea to the joy of all present...as their final offering..

But this Quebec crowd would NOT accept an ending and powerfully chanting IQ===IQ====IQ & had the boys crank out one more as the Wake's Widows Peak brought down the final curtain ...

Any IQ concert , CD or DVD is a joy to behold as this group has consistently delivered the goods for over 30 years..

Hopefully they come stateside again sooner than later and at FULL strength and realize why they are held in high regard by prog fans all over..
    Last edited by Prognosticator; 04-14-2015 at 10:41 PM.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    At least Peter "dressed up" for Quebec...in a sweatshirt in Montreal, sat through most instrumental passages looking grim. No costumes, little dramatics from the ailing frontman in Montreal. Still glad we went.

Is Peter's health status chronic? Or just a short-term bug/virus/etc.?
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Is Peter's health status chronic? Or just a short-term bug/virus/etc.?
    Tour bug.

Yeah, it's just a bad cold and it happened to hit at the wrong time. The UK is a bad place for catching colds! I saw and thoroughly enjoyed both shows though. Peter still sounded great as ever for the most part--just some missing high notes, but he picked lower ones that worked. Nice to have a different setlist for Montreal and Quebec city too. Fantastic stuff!

Setlist for Montreal:

From the Outside In
    The Wrong Side of Weird
    The Road of Bones
    Leap of Faith
    Without Walls
    Ocean
    Guiding Light
    Constellations
    Outer Limits
    Encore:
    The Wake
    Subterranea
    (Duo with Denis Gagné from Musical Box)

and for Quebec City:

From the Outside In
    Frequency
    The Road of Bones
    The Wake
    Without Walls
    Ocean
    Guiding Light
    Outer Limits
    Until the End
    The Enemy Smacks

Encore:
    Subterranea
    (Duo with Denis Gagne)

Encore 2:
    Widow's Peak

Peter Nicholls is one of my all-time favorite vocalists. I'm glad it's nothing serious. They're definitely one band I would see if they ever came anywhere remotely close to my neck of the woods.
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold