Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Could Hillage or Camel have a successfull NA tour??

Could Hillage or Camel have a successfull NA tour??

With the recent success of Magma and Goblin touring North America, I was pondering if Camel and or Steve Hillage could have the same kind of success?? I guess my reasoning
    is I would like to cross two more bands off my bucket list ...Seriously, thoughts????

Imho Hillage - No Camel - Maybe
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Imho Hillage - No Camel - Maybe
    Be nice if Hillage could open up for someone like Rundgren, maybe??

Old man of prog
    Unfortunately not

Camel did have a short but successful tour in 2003.

I don't think enough people know either act to fill venues. Camel was great at Nearfest in '03.

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    Camel did have a short but successful tour in 2003.
    As was mentioned in the other thread about this not too long ago, in 2003 Camel had NEARfest to use as an anchor that they could base the tour around. Today I think their asking price is way beyond any current festivals budget unfortunately. Hillage might be able to do a small club tour, but breaking even would be a struggle I would guess.

Camel might be able to do a few east coast and west coast major cities. But I don't consider that a "US Tour" Would probably need a festival date to build around, and there's not many of those anymore..

Remember that one of the reasons the Goblin tour was successful was they weren't just playing to the (ahem) "prog rock" audience. They were also playing to horror movie fans, who were there because of Goblin's association with Dario Argento. So you had at least double the normal audience.

Not sure why the Magma tour is doing well, unless it has to do with them coverage in places like NPR, and there also seems to be a decidedly "not prog rock" contingency who rate Magma highly in a fashion that they may not give to, let's say ELP or Genesis or whatever.

Or maybe all that underground college radio airplay, plus the occasional visits are finally paying off, and Magma is truly finally breaking Stateside, 40 years after Herb Alpert went off the reservation and signed them to A&M!

everyone put their money where their mouth is. I mean what is to stop us a collective (co-op), if you will and fund our own festival(s).! Just a thought, but why not?? Collectively we have enough recourses to accomplish such a thing. Heck we may even get advice from the NearFest boys or others I know and you know on how to do this properly. If you truly have a passion and love live music then it is a no brainer. Never say No only YES. any thoughts??
    Nothing is impossible unless it is left untried.

Quote Originally Posted by HONDO View Post
    everyone put their money where their mouth is. I mean what is to stop us a collective (co-op), if you will and fund our own festival(s).! Just a thought, but why not?? Collectively we have enough recourses to accomplish such a thing. Heck we may even get advice from the NearFest boys or others I know and you know on how to do this properly. If you truly have a passion and love live music then it is a no brainer. Never say No only YES. any thoughts??
    Nothing is impossible unless it is left untried.
    A collective co-op, where a group people put their money together to fund a festival? It's called ProgDay. Its been around for 20 years, but I guarantee it can't afford Camel........

Oh yes it could really easily! One must believe and never say no. Give the people what they want, so may as well give it to ourselves. We can make it work if we want to.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Remember that one of the reasons the Goblin tour was successful was they weren't just playing to the (ahem) "prog rock" audience. They were also playing to horror movie fans, who were there because of Goblin's association with Dario Argento. So you had at least double the normal audience. Not sure why the Magma tour is doing well, unless it has to do with them coverage in places like NPR, and there also seems to be a decidedly "not prog rock" contingency who rate Magma highly in a fashion that they may not give to, let's say ELP or Genesis or whatever.
    Both assessments are absolutely true. Goblin's main audience seems to base around the much larger public of "retro" as a whole, with the combination of the Argento connection as well as the namechecking by other folks within close enough distance to the "hipster" safety zone. Magma are a true cult phenomenon within "out" rock - almost en par with someone like The Residents - give or take the "prog" affiliation. There's a huge undercurrent of avant-rock (or even "indie") musicians and listeners openly admiring of Vander and his legacy - in the US, Japan and certain areas of Northern Europe and even South America. Overall eccentricity helps art once it communicates as genuine.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I guess I should have said mini tour ..Kinda like what Magma did...And Chris, Hillage has a whole **new** audience with his dance electronic/prog

I would imagine Hillage might be able to pull it off due to his association with System7 and the electronica world? But the motivation radio world? Not so much!

No, not in 2015...1975 maybe.
    I'm not being cruel, but they are hardly even known in their own country and they've never been top of the pile in popularity amongst prog fans, they've always been second division in popularity after the big prog names.

Oh yes it could really easily! One must believe and never say no. Give the people what they want, so may as well give it to ourselves. We can make it work if we want to.
    Posting a bunch of happy blather on the internet doesn't make it happen.

You should contribute time and/or money to ProgDay if you want something to happen. They would be extremely happy to hear from you.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Posting a bunch of happy blather on the internet doesn't make it happen.
    You just killed Facebook, Steve.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Euthanasia as far as some are concerned.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Extremely glad to help.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Hey Steve I have indeed given money to ProgDay in the past. Have been to 4 of them and not to mention financial contributions over the years.

I was thinking of starting a new member funded and produced festival with the goal of strictly bringing in class acts for no financial gain or profit. THis can be accomplished.

And yes my blather is Happy and somewhat crazy but one can dream right. I am not sure if you are mocking me or your intentions are good? If you are mocking me than it is not appreciated.

And yes my blather is Happy and somewhat crazy but one can dream right.
    Until someone stops saying "we can do this!" and actually does something concrete to actually DO it...then it will remain nothing but a pipe dream. You say it can be done? Great: go get it started then.

And money is not the only consideration here. There's will, health, and a zillion other considerations in the case of an older band like Camel.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

And yes my blather is Happy and somewhat crazy but one can dream right. I am not sure if you are mocking me or your intentions are good? If you are mocking me than it is not appreciated.
    I'm not mocking you.

But posting here doesn't get it done. I've done plenty in the music biz and in the concert biz and I know that.

I also know talk and blather is cheap. Cheaper today than ever in internet land. And pretty fucking cheap as well on specialized interest boards like PE, where people hear only from people who agree with them / share their p.o.v. / share their tastes and never have to go out and deal with the other 99.999% of people who do not share their interest or tastes.

You want to do it? Great. DO IT.

Otherwise, it's just more blather. The end.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I was thinking of starting a new member funded and produced festival with the goal of strictly bringing in class acts for no financial gain or profit. THis can be accomplished.
    One should always attempt to not just break even. If your best case scenario is not losing money, then you will almost certainly and undoubtably lose money.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com