Thread: Another Muir-era Crimson concert has surfaced...

Another Muir-era Crimson concert has surfaced...

I mean.... holy crap! And it looks to be nearly complete. As well. Gonna go download now

http://www.dgmlive.com/archive.htm?a...1&member&entry

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I thought they were all meant to be in the box?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I thought they were all meant to be in the box?
    The box included every tape known to exist at the time. I'm vaguely disappointed this one isn't a hardcopy like the others, but I'm too thrilled to have another all-'new' discovery to complain.

That was certainly what dgm was saying. I have a feeling that this one just recently surfaced

Downloaded a bit ago and listened to the whole thing. Flipping great for purists and beginners alike. Sound could be better but hey we have this to enjoy. Give it a try. They are kicking some ass on this puppy.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I'd feel slightly cheated if I bought the box.

I know nothing they could do if they just discovered it now, but still...
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

To anyone else who has downloaded it: Have you compared it with the Guildford set from the previous night?

I think both recordings might be from the same set - the long improv sounds pretty much identical (which would be the real indicator - I could see similarities between improvs from night-to-night but not that similar) and boith versions of LTiA1 sounds very similar. Even if it is, it's an "upgrade" since there is now a 98% complete set of that night (there is a cut in the second improv). I sent an email to dgm to ask them to verify that and they said they would investigate. Stay tuned...

Really? Huh. I hadn't listened yet. That'd be a little disappointing, but almost completing the Guildford show is still cause for excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffo621 View Post
    To anyone else who has downloaded it: Have you compared it with the Guildford set from the previous night?

I think both recordings might be from the same set - the long improv sounds pretty much identical (which would be the real indicator - I could see similarities between improvs from night-to-night but not that similar) and boith versions of LTiA1 sounds very similar. Even if it is, it's an "upgrade" since there is now a 98% complete set of that night (there is a cut in the second improv). I sent an email to dgm to ask them to verify that and they said they would investigate. Stay tuned...
    Wow. Majorly disappointing if so. You would think someone at DGM would have caught that??!

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    You would think someone at DGM would have caught that??!
    Well, consider what Singleton just wrote the other day.

the Starless boxed set contains 516 minutes of improvisations, 185 minutes of Starless, 161 minutes of Exiles, 158 minutes of the Night Watch and 150 minutes of Easy Money. Or not! Oh and I missed out the 297 minutes of Fracture. Fortunately, I did not have to listen to them all in real time, as otherwise the 145 minutes of Lament might just have done for me. Although, as I mastered the whole boxed set, and you listen to everything at least three or four times, that does mean that I have spent about 500 minutes, or eight hours listening to nothing other than Lament. Hmmmm! And I wonder why I’ve been feeling strange recently.

My brain has a hard time just keeping straight the stuff I've bought sometimes, let alone the amount they work with.

^^

Agreed. Consider that the Larks Tongues set is probably more than half improvisation, with rather murky quality, and there are some similarities between the long improvs - Beat Club, Hull and Guildford all sorta start out with a crescendo-y type of flourish, with Wetton playing a funky line and Fripp on mellotron. I could see there being some confusion. I actually took some mental notes (e.g. the violin enters at 2:43 playing this jiggy thing, Fripp playing the Sailor's Tale chordal thrashing at the 13 minute mark) of things that would likely not be replicated from one night to the next.

I don't know that I can blame DGM either - I doubt they sit around listening to the Boxed Sets as much as we the fans do. It would require a pretty astute listener to pick out the differences, even regarding a band that plays things differently from night to night - I doubt I could tell if there were a duplicate version of, say, Easy Money from the "Blue Tapes" tours. Besides, I'm enough of a completist that I would have still paid for it even if I knew that it a portion of the set were a duplicate.

As I had mentioned, I did send them an email mentioning it, and got a response from Sid saying that he was on the road but would check it out next week when he gets back to the office.

^^

But at the same time, if DGM uploads what they claim is a new show--and a Jamie Muir show fer chrissakes, a new holy grail for us slobbering fans--I would think they would at least check it against the other Muir shows. A simple check of the timestamp on the long improv would have suggested similarity with Guildford, like "hey lets A/B the two for a few minutes." Nothing more than that.

I'm not "blaming" DGM; I love what they do and have bought a lot of their releases and will continue to support them. But I think they did drop the ball on this one.
    Last edited by arturs; 04-16-2015 at 04:50 PM.

Good point Arturs - the fact that improvs on back to back nights have almost the exact same length (within 15 seconds of each other) might set off a warning sign. Or even just listening to the first few seconds. The Watford show was missing Fripp's announcement, which would have been a dead giveaway. Well, if they are in fact the same show, I'm sure they will rectify it - reduce the price, release only the second half of the show, or at least put a disclaimer up (IIRC one of the shows from June '74 "borrows" bits of TD/LTiA from a preceding night which was cut)