Thread: Dinosaur Jr.?

Dinosaur Jr.?

Been a loooong time since I thought about this band. I remember digging "Feel the Pain" on the old 120 Minutes show years ago but never bothered to buy any of their albums. Well, I'll be seeing them with Primus this summer, so I picked up two albums of their albums to prepare.

Any fans around these parts? Anyone know what to expect from the live show?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I'm a big fan and there's a few others here on PE. J Mascis is one of my favorites. Saw they were touring this summer with Primus. I like Primus as well, but this seems like an odd pairing: odd,progish jam vs. loud,punkish guitar rock. Could be interesting though. Anyway, saw Dinosaur a few years ago and they still bring it live. Just know it's going to be LOUD. Wear earplugs. They have a reputation and do not disappoint, easily the loudest show to which I've ever been. There will be no running around and stage banter will be kept to minimum, if at all.

Don't know what albums you got, but you can't go wrong with You're Living All Over Me and Bug, both are stone classics of the 80s underground. Of the major label years Where You Been is my favorite, while the three albums (Beyond, Farm and I Bet On Sky) they've put out since they reformed have all been pretty solid.

I almost forgot about Dinosaur Jr. Saw them at the Rose Bowl in 1992 opening for the Cure. They had some good moments... Did not think they were still active.
    Still alive and well...

Big fan.

You're Living All Over Me is their best.

By far.
    The Prog Corner

Bug is their best, IMO, but You're Living All Over Me and Where You Been are also really good, IMO. Frankly, all of their reunion-era albums are really good too. Farm is probably my favorite, but you couldn't go wrong with any of them.

I ordered Farm and Without a Sound.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Their new albums since Mascis and Barlow got back together are supposedly great.

Bug was always my favorite.

Expect tinnitus

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I ordered Farm and Without a Sound.
    Without A Sound is decent enough but not one I dig out that much. It's got Feel The Pain, though, which absolutely rules. Farm is my favorite of the reunion albums and probably my favorite Dino record outside of the SST years. But honestly there's worthwhile stuff on all their releases.

I like "Bug", "Where You Been?" and half of "Green Mind" & "You're Living All Over Me". Haven't listened to them since the late 90s. Time to revisit.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    I like "Bug", "Where You Been?" and half of "Green Mind" & "You're Living All Over Me". Haven't listened to them since the late 90s. Time to revisit.
    They got back together in 2006, but with the original lineup (the one that made You're Living All Over Me and Bug), and have made three albums so far that, (kind of freakishly, IMO) sound like they could each have been released 15 years earlier, as follow-ups to the '80s albums. Which is not to say that they sound exactly like the SST stuff; they sound like what a fan might imagine their actual '90s major label albums would have sounded like if Lou Barlow had been involved.

It's a weird situation, because previously the catalog had been divided into the three SST albums as a real band, and then the four "J Mascis solo albums in all but name" era. The three reunion albums now kind of reduce the solo Mascis era of Dino Jr. to outlier status.