Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Snarky Puppy just reduced me to tears!

Incredible! I love these guys!

How can a puppy be snarky?
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    How can a puppy be snarky?
    I'd guess that they were having fun with Skinny Puppy's name when they chose theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by ProgUK View Post

The best albums to start are, in order:
    1.Tell Your Friends
    2.Ground Up
    3. We like it here
    Purchased! These guys are phenomenal!
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I'd guess that they were having fun with Skinny Puppy's name when they chose theirs.
    Ah, hadn't thought of that!
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

The best albums to start are, in order:
    1.Tell Your Friends
    2.Ground Up
    3. We like it here
    I've only listened to them on YouTube and so far my order of preference is:
    1.Ground Up
    2.We Like It Here
    3.Tell Your Friends

But that could change; you're obviously more intimately familiar with these albums than I am.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    My wife and I are going to make a trip in for the 6/24 show at City Winery in Chicago. Perhaps we'll have a chance to tip a glass
    I see they're playing there June 23rd and 24th; I just might attend one of those shows! Maybe I can get my "sweeter half" interested. She's pretty much a "pop music only" fan, but she did enjoy Hiromi. Of course, she's pretty entertaining to watch! I've never been to that venue before, have you?

Finally got to watch this beginning to end at lunch today. Just realized that the audience is sitting interspersed with the orkestra, and they're all listening to the performance on headphones. Brilliant.

I'll be really honest, this particular piece is not really my favorite from them, and it's not the best integration of group and orchestra imho either. Doesn't take away from how dang good they are though. The pianist does get to shine on this. Very tasteful.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I see they're playing there June 23rd and 24th; I just might attend one of those shows! Maybe I can get my "sweeter half" interested. She's pretty much a "pop music only" fan, but she did enjoy Hiromi. Of course, she's pretty entertaining to watch! I've never been to that venue before, have you?
    I got my wife hooked on SP through the 'Family Dinner' cd/dvd, which is the band backing up various singers on a pretty wide variety of music. One of the recordings won the Grammy for best R&B/Soul performance last year (google Lalah Hathaway, the song is titled 'Something' - very happening). Might be a "gateway" for you as well...

Never been to the venue before, so kind of shooting craps there; we plumped for a table, which appears to be in a raised area behind the SRO crowd. I called the venue and they said sight lines were "no problem". Here's hoping!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Agree with OP - this is beyond beautiful - to me, very reminiscent in parts to Pat Metheny's Secret Story - one of my favourite albums ever. Like others on here, although I had heard the name Snarky Puppy, for some reason I hadn't properly checked them out. Now that I have I'm kicking myself for not having done so sooner. But at least it is in time to get tickets for Bill Laurance's gig in London next month, soooooooooo looking forward to it. And aiming to also get tickets for SP's visit in October. Finding it hard to listen to anything else but SP and Bill's solo stuff at the moment!

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I'll be really honest, this particular piece is not really my favorite from them
    Me neither. But they cover so much musical ground that you're bound to like some of the stuff more than others.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    I got my wife hooked on SP through the 'Family Dinner' cd/dvd, which is the band backing up various singers on a pretty wide variety of music. One of the recordings won the Grammy for best R&B/Soul performance last year (google Lalah Hathaway, the song is titled 'Something' - very happening). Might be a "gateway" for you as well...
    Oh, I don't need a gateway; I'm sold! I did see that video and Lalah sounded great. I'm assuming she's the daughter of the underrated r&b singer/songwriter, Donny Hathaway. But you know what they say happens when you assume, so... is she?

Oh, I don't need a gateway; I'm sold! I did see that video and Lalah sounded great. I'm assuming she's the daughter of the underrated r&b singer/songwriter, Donny Hathaway. But you know what they say happens when you assume, so... is she?
    I was more thinking a gateway for your significant other One of my favorite things about that video is the way the band completely falls out when Lalah does her amazing multiphonics thing, and yet everybody absolutely nails the next band entrance to the wall. Exciting stuff, that.

And yep, she's Donny's daughter.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

David Foster wrote that tune "Something".
    One of his best for sure.

The first time I saw Snarky Puppy live (2013), i took my 22 year old son.
    You had to pry both our jaws from the floor after the show.
    David Robin
    Filmmaker/Drummer
    www.steelyjam.com
    www.davidrobinfilms.com

^^ Thing is that from that Family Dinner album, the Lala Hathaway song is probably my least favourite of the bunch. And I really don't like that whole multiphonic bit. That pretty much makes me skip that song all the time. I understand that it is technically amazing and I can respect and hey even admire it on some level but it just sounds grating to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Balrog666 View Post
    + 2! Never heard of them until now. WOW! WOW! WOW! Thanks for sharing.
    Same here - Amazing stuff - playing across UK in Autumn - definitely going to go!
    Making Wikipedia marginally more interesting at:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCul...PXchSo_vDxtcLg

Been watching the "We Like It Here" videos this morning. These guys really are the shit!

This keyboard player just KILLS on this tune! It's as fun to watch as to listen to; after a while, the whole band knows he's in the zone and when it's over, they treat him like he just scored the winning touchdown... which of course, he did!

Best thing since the big three imo.
    Rtf, Mahav and weather report.

Best thing since the big three imo.
    You should like Jaga Jazzist if you like Snarky Puppy.

I'll be seeing both bands within the span of a week or so this summer.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I do like jaga. Saw them a couple of years ago in Los Angeles. Great band but prefer the puppy
    David Robin
    Filmmaker/Drummer
    www.steelyjam.com
    www.davidrobinfilms.com

Saw Snarky Puppy with the Metropole Orkest last night performing Sylva and what is a SP greatest hits set (Ready Wednesday, Thing Of Gold, Lingus, Shofukan) together. What an incredible evening, so much joy in the music, in the playing and among the musicians.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    Saw Snarky Puppy with the Metropole Orkest last night performing Sylva and what is a SP greatest hits set (Ready Wednesday, Thing Of Gold, Lingus, Shofukan) together. What an incredible evening, so much joy in the music, in the playing and among the musicians.
    Soooooooo Jealous!!!!
    David Robin
    Filmmaker/Drummer
    www.steelyjam.com
    www.davidrobinfilms.com

I have just got into Snarky Puppy as a consequence of this thread. They are amazing! Quite simply! I have also been listening to Bill Laurances solo albums, Flint and Swift which has just been released and they are equally as good!

Quote Originally Posted by Bazcrim View Post
    I have also been listening to Bill Laurances solo albums, Flint and Swift which has just been released and they are equally as good!
    Is Bill Laurance the keyboard player soloing on the video I embedded in post #42? If so, I may have to track those down. All those musicians are really good, but he and the drummer are beyond "really good."

Is Bill Laurance the keyboard player soloing on the video I embedded in post #42? If so, I may have to track those down. All those musicians are really good, but he and the drummer are beyond "really good."
    Nope, that is Cory Henry, http://www.cory-henry.com/.

Bill's playing and writing somehow reminds me an awful lot of what Lyle Mays brought to the Pat Metheny Group: