Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MAGIC PIE: "King For A Day" out May 25th

I'm really disappointed with the new Magic Pie album. It's even worse than their previous effort, "The Suffering Joy".

Quote Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
    I'm really disappointed with the new Magic Pie album. It's even worse than their previous effort, "The Suffering Joy".
    i love it,for me its their best yet ,well each to his own i guess

I also love the new Magic Pie album , I have heard it all the way through three times now and I think it is great.

Once again, my tastes are really contrarian and my favorite piece is the shortest: "The Silent Giant."
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Once again, my tastes are really contrarian and my favorite piece is the shortest: "The Silent Giant."
    Mine too. The chorus in that song is epic. Excellent tune.
    The Prog Corner

my favorite piece among all the good ones are the epic title song,king for a day,sure some few minutes i could live without,but my overall impression are wow!!!!
    its no secret that i loved city boy back in the days ,or that i love A.C.T today.and there are so many hints of those bands in that song.love it!!!

Great album! Really been enjoying it.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

After spending the weekend listening to nothing but Yes "Progeny", I saw this on progstreaming tonight and decided to give it a try. First impression: very cool stuff, I may be hooked!

Quote Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
    Agree. The times of enjoyment with Motions of Desire and Circus Of Life are long gone I'm afraid...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I really like the first single. It reminds me a little of classic Uriah Heep. I just ordered online the CD/T shirt bundle from Sweden. Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a deluxe version with bonus tracks? Maybe a Japanese import? Looking forward to the new CD!

Library Jon

I think is my favorite of the year so far. Some of it "grows on you," but "Trick of the Trade" and "The Silent Giant" are solid. (The former has a little A.C.T in it, come to think of it.) The title suite has got some great bits on it. And at first I thought the guitar wailing two notes during the chorus of "Tears Gone Dry" was a little cheesy, but now I love it.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

What a great album! My copy of the new Magic Pie album came in the mail yesterday. I did get the CD/T shirt bundle from Norway. Nice shirt. C'mon, George, bring them back to Rosfest 2016! Does anyone know the street date for the re-issues of the previous albums?

Library Jon

Another solid effort from Magic Pie. The King for a Day track easily makes my list of epic favorites (I promise not to start a list thread for favorite epics though). Somehow this song manages to be uplifting and depressing all at the same time.

There really is a magic quality to this band. My first exposure to them was at the 2007 RosFest. I noticed that with songs like Change I would find yourself singing along even though I had only heard the song once before. The mix of great keyboards, guitars and interesting lyrics keeps me coming back for more. They are easily my favorite RosFest discovery.

Speaking of RosFest, I will second Library John's recommendation. I think it's time for another Magic Pie visit to RosFest. I've seen them twice at RosFest and both time they put on an amazing show.

My review of it for The Fire Note is here.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    My review of it for The Fire Note is here.
    spot on

Magic Pie at RosFest 2016 would make a lot of your close friends happy, Ig!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

After listening to that single which was published some time ago, I thought this could be interesting and wanted to go through it all. There are some interesting moments on this album (as on almost every album ever made), but overall it just isn't very interesting. It has practicaly the same problem that the last Morse record and the Big Big Train EP has - there is one or two good songs (mainly the shorter ones) and all in all that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by selmer View Post
    After listening to that single which was published some time ago, I thought this could be interesting and wanted to go through it all. There are some interesting moments on this album (as on almost every album ever made), but overall it just isn't very interesting. It has practicaly the same problem that the last Morse record and the Big Big Train EP has - there is one or two good songs (mainly the shorter ones) and all in all that's it.
    your ears dont hear the same things as my ears does. i consider both magic pies and neal morses latest albums to be 5 star ratings.well each to their own

Quote Originally Posted by act View Post
    your ears dont hear the same things as my ears does. i consider both magic pies and neal morses latest albums to be 5 star ratings.well each to their own
    The latest Barock Project album is more interesting than any of these.

Quote Originally Posted by selmer View Post
    The latest Barock Project album is more interesting than any of these.
    no it is not. it has its moments,but overall it is to much jazz rock influences in it,and that is never a good thing in my world
    Last edited by act; 06-20-2015 at 02:42 AM.

The 2 posts directly above this one are a perfect example of how completely non-productive circular conversations get started on this site.

When people post emperically "yes", "no", "yes", "no", "yes". "no" about anything, it's bandwidth diarrhea.
    Last edited by progeezer; 06-20-2015 at 11:37 AM.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    The 2 posts directly above this one are a perfect example of how completely non-productive circular conversations get started on this site.

When people post emperically "yes", "no", "yes", "no", "yes". "no about anything, it's bandwidth diarrhea.
    i agree with you.nothing productive with yes or no.thats the reason i never post anything in threads about albums i dont like,whats the point,there are no right or wrongs in music,its all about your personal taste.