Thread: IQ in Montreal last night

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)

IQ in Montreal last night

We arrived at La Tulipe a bit after the 5 p.m. start time announced for the Meet and Greet and were allowed to watch the soundcheck from the balcony before the M&G. The band sounded great but Peter was nursing a bad cold, so during the soundcheck's run-through of Subterranea, out comes Denis from the Musical Box and he and Peter proceed to sing it as a duet...Denis does a spot-on Nichols! The band was quite affable during the signing, despite telling us about how some of their things were still missing in transit and Peter's obvious illness. As the show began (about 7:15, announced for 7), Peter did ask the crowd's " forbearance" for his less-than-lustrous vocal range but it appeared that the well-attended show disappointed no one, with perhaps the exception of Peter, who was clearly frustrated and feeling pretty grim. The new material from "Road ofBones" came off very well live, with Neil's keyboards as prominent in the live setting as they are on the album. A nice selection of older material was included, and of course Denis did come out to join the band for the set closer "Subterranea". The rhythm section of Cook and Esau grooved all night, and if there is a more expressive, emotional guitarist than Michael Holmes (well, okay, perhaps Andy Latimer), I've yet to see him; every note is there on his face. What a tuneful and underrated player. The show ran about two hours, the video show "reduced" due to missing slides (I assume) but overall probably a show that satisfied the fans (who were exuberant in their enthusiasm) more than the band. Montreal clearly loves their IQ; I wonder if that may be a function of the love for Genesis in their heydey here in this beautiful city that we must reluctantly leave tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    ...but Peter was nursing a bad cold...
    LOL -- I've never known a singer who is more prone to catching a cold when he tours.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

"The Enemy Smacks", last night in Quebec City.

Quote Originally Posted by Brave73 View Post
    "The Enemy Smacks", last night in Quebec City.

Pretty awesome -- Mike especially sounds fantastic. And is that Neil Durant's normal rig -- just a controller keyboard and a Minimoog? Or did he simplify things for overseas touring?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Man, I wish I could have seen them. I'm not in La Belle Province until next week for Marillion weekend. Imagine - Marillion and IQ in the same week. Talk about a missed opportunity!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Man, I wish I could have seen them. I'm not in La Belle Province until next week for Marillion weekend. Imagine - Marillion and IQ in the same week. Talk about a missed opportunity!
    I wouldn't have minded being able to fly up for the Quebec show. Imaginge: Magma on one day, IQ on the next. Oh well. Glad the people who got to see the IQ shows had a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Pretty awesome -- Mike especially sounds fantastic. And is that Neil Durant's normal rig -- just a controller keyboard and a Minimoog? Or did he simplify things for overseas touring?
    First thing I noticed on the video of Enemy that was posted is that Mike has gone totally retro when it comes to his guitarsound on this one. Don't know if it is because of the Gibson (or something similar) he is using or that he has modelled his sound through his guitarsynth (which is still attached to the axe I see) but it is a near spot on recreation of his original guitarsound on the album.

In the case of Neil's rig he indeed has pared it down for this trans atlantic gig cause here in Europe he usually has a few more on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    And at the end of the month: Spock's Beard (and the group I'm excited about) Haken.

Despite being not that well, I'm planning to go to Montreal for this show. Never seen the Beard before, and am looking forward to, but am especially excited to see Haken, whose THe Mountain has become a real personal favourite. Never see a lot of chat about these guys around here though....unless I've missed it. Any reason?

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    And at the end of the month: Spock's Beard (and the group I'm excited about) Haken.

Despite being not that well, I'm planning to go to Montreal for this show. Never seen the Beard before, and am looking forward to, but am especially excited to see Haken, whose THe Mountain has become a real personal favourite. Never see a lot of chat about these guys around here though....unless I've missed it. Any reason?
    Yeah, Haken is another band I'm missing because of Marillion weekend. They're playing in Toronto on the 27th, the day before we come home.

They've been discussed here a reasonable amount, I'd say. I think the closing epics on their first two albums are fantastic, and the best tracks they've done. The Mountain was very good also. Didn't get their most recent album Restoration as I refused to be forced into buying the LP in order to get the CD (a bundle was the only option)! I am not paying extra shipping for an LP I don't want. I do have a copy of their original 2007 demo CD though, which is where the reworked tracks on Restoration came from.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***