Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Famous music Locations you have been to

Oh yeah, I saw Yes at Radio City Music Hall back in 2002. Rick did his keyboard cadenza on the house pipe organ.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I want to know whether these places, mentioned in song, exist, and if so where are they located:

Rock Island (Lonnie Donegan)
    Primrose Hill (John and Beverley Martyn)
    Violet Hill (Coldplay)
    Tiger Mountain (Eno)
    Green River (CCR)
    Yellow River (several artists, not sure who did the original... and I'm sure it's not the Yellow River in China)
    Bedlam Bridge (Midnight Oil)

I could look them up, but I'd rather get responses from people here who know those places.
    Since information on these was not forthcoming except for Rock island, I looked them up.

Primrose Hill: a hill on the northern side of Regent's Park in London

Violet Hill: There is one in Hong Kong and one in Ontario. The mention of snow in the song probably rules out the former. There is also "Violet Hill Gardens" in London - no mention of an actual Violet hill, but there must have been one and somehow I suspect that that's the one in the song.

Tiger Mountain: a mountain in the U.S. state of Washington

Green River: There are over a dozen rivers so named in the U.S. alone, but the one in the song was apparently only so named by John Fogerty; its official name is Putah Creek. It's in California, not in the bayou as you might have thought.

Yellow River: written by Jeff Christie and recorded by his band Christie, but it is about a hypothetical place somewhere in the United States and does not refer to any particular river.

Bedlam Bridge: this is one of the Oils' most enigmatic songs, and the place has been hard to track down. The song is allegedly set in Manhattan, though some of the lyrics ("there are canyons full of movie stars") seem to refer to other places. However the only Bedlam Bridge I can find is in Cambridgeshire, UK. The song title remains unexplained.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 04-13-2015 at 08:02 AM.

I've visited Frank Zappa's grave, worked at the Capitol Tower in Hollywood and visited the Capitol Studios as well as the main Hitsville (Motown) studio.

[QUOTE=bob_32_116;398104]

Tiger Mountain: a mountain in the U.S. state of Washington
    [QUOTE=bob_32_116;398104]
    Green River: There are over a dozen rivers so named in the U.S. alone, but the one in the song was apparently only so named by John Fogarty; its official name is Putah Creek. It's in California, not in the bayou as you might have thought.
    /QUOTE]

Didn't Fogerty (note correct spelling of name) actually admit he'd never been to "the bayou" until sometime in the 90's?

If we're discussing Eno, Taking Tiger Mountain By Strategy was named after a Chinese opera. The opera was apparently based on a true story that happened during the Chinese Civil War.

The Organ offices, Kensal Road (Hello Sean, Hello Marina)
    The very first Virgin shop in Notting Hill was the very first record shop I visited as a teenager.
    I've been to the orignal Virgin Record offices in Portobello Road
    I've been inside Peter Bardens childhood home in Notting Hill as my mum was a friend of his dad, and Barden's mate Mick Fleetwood lived just a few doors away in the 60s. We lived only about 200 yards away.
    Freddie Mercury's house in Kensington
    Brian Ferry's house in Chelsea, outside which I stood and had a very easygoing, general chat with him one day.
    Kings Road, Chelsea - punks, teddy boys, Malcolm McLaren, Vivienne Westwood
    Basing Street Studios
    Canal Studios
    Wardour Street
    Berwick Street
    Brewer Street
    Hammersmith Odeon
    Royal Albert Hall
    Docklands Arena
    Southbank (Royal Festival Hall, Queen Elizabeth Hall)
    Barbican
    Wembley Stadium
    Wembley Arena
    Earls Court
    Roundhouse Camden
    Glastonbury
    Kenwood House
    Hyde Park
    Reading
    Milton Keynes
    Finsbury Park
    Victoria Park
    Paradiso, Amsterdam
    Milkweg, Amsterdam
    Went to the same primary school as 2 of the original Television Personalities
    Worked in the same shop for a while in the mid-70s as B.A. Robertson
    Had a nodding & "hiya" acquaintance with Lemmy and Billy Idol in Notting Hill.
    And a shed load of pub & club gig venues all over Europe, but mostly in London and south of England, which includes a total of about 50 venues at which Cardias and The Stranglers played (e.g. Dingwalls, Camden Palace, Dublin Castle, The Falcon, The Monarch, Town & Country, The Forum, The Garage, Bull & Gate, Jazz Cafe, The Venue, 100 Club, Underworld, Electric Ballroom)

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Oh yeah, I saw Yes at Radio City Music Hall back in 2002. Rick did his keyboard cadenza on the house pipe organ.
    That was a nice show wasn't it? We were vacationing in NYC - our first trip there from Scotland - and my first port of call as soon as we unpacked was to the Radio City Box Office to see if there were any tickets left!

Not strictly prog, but my next door neighbour is a professional composer/arranger and has just come back from a visit to LA to pitch for movie scores.

While he was at Fox studios, he was left to do some prep work......in the same room that John Williams composed the first Star Wars score. How cool is that?

Would Servaas music-store count? A famous Dutch music-store where several well-known artist, including Golden Earring, bought there equipment. There was even a book written about this shop.

Statue Of Liberty (Little River Band song)
    Broadway (many songs)
    52nd Street (Billy Joel)
    old City Hall (or Parliament) Toronto (Moving Pictures)
    Pierson International Airport Toronto aka YYZ
    New Jersey turnpike
    Asbury Park
    Vancouver (Genesis)
    Chicago

Marquee Club (Nine Below Zero, 1980)
    Rainbow theatre (The Stranglers, 1980)
    Wembley Arena (Fleetwood Mac, 1980)
    Hammersmith Odeon (Steve Hackett, 1980)

1980 was a good year.....

The Cavern Club in London
    Talked to Moondog outside of the RCA building in New York City
    The Rat in Boston many times (the Police played 4 nights there in late 1977 or early 1978 to about 50 people)
    There's an outdoor market place in San Antonio, TX, in which Doug Sahm and Augie Meyers had pictures taken for an album. I was there; all I remember were a lot of red two-by-fours. Not famous but memorable.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Tiger Mountain: a mountain in the U.S. state of Washington.
    That may be so but the Eno reference is to a Peking opera that is set in revolutionary China. I believe he found some postcards from the Opera and was inspired to use the title himself.

Edit - I should read further before responding as I see this has already been answered!

Back in Wales for a few days last week, driving round a few country lanes in the middle of nowhere and found myself outside the famous Rockfield Studios - the list of classic albums recorded there is immense (and from very diverse bands), but include Queen, Peter Hammill, Rush, Simple Minds, Robert Plant, Stone Roses, Oasis,VdGG, XTC, Waterboys, Judas Priest, Iggy Pop, Hawkwind, Graham Parker & the Rumour, Echo & the Bunnymen, Dr. Feelgood, The Darkness, The Damned, Teardrop Explodes, Black Sabbath, Adam & the Ants, Coldplay amongst many, many others. Beautiful part of the world - no wonder bands want to get away and record in isolation.

Well, of course the Bridge of Sighs.

The Musikhalle (or however you spell it) in Vienna.

The Oratory in London, and also the Cathedral, where so many composers lie.

Oh, you meant *rock* music?

Well, I've been to the Fillmore... and on the slopes of Solisbury Hill.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Saw YES at Philly's famed Tower Theater last time around.

They were playing in my neck of the woods too, but I had some YesHead friends in Philly who I was overdue to visit, so we made a weekend of it.

I stayed at a very nice (and historic) bed-n-breakfast in a house built by one of Benjamin Franklin's friends.

Sat 4th row, stage left, right in front of Steve Howe.

Great weekend, great show, great friends and a historic venue, especially for a Yes fan. Glad I did it. Of the dozen plus YesShows I've seen over the years, that one will be well remembered.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    The Cavern Club in London
    There's two of them then?
    Making Wikipedia marginally more interesting at:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCul...PXchSo_vDxtcLg

Glasgow Apollo.
    Royal Mile (Gerry Rafferty)
    I've driven past Mono Lake, scene of Pink Floyd's WYWH 'diver' picture. However, I forgot that's where the scene was shot and didn't stop...
    Woodhenge
    Avebury stone circle

The convenience store they shot Clerks at (C'mon! With Jay's frenetic dancing and rapping you KNOW it's a music place). Also, played at CBGBs - and saw Echolyn there pre-Bluffocating The Soom....

Quote Originally Posted by rael74 View Post
    There's two of them then?
    My mistake. Liverpool. My high school memory is flying away.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    My mistake. Liverpool. My high school memory is flying away.
    London and Liverpool - always get those two mixed up.

Can't believe I forgot this one before, but: Stonehenge.

The Enemy God
    Right opposite my office in Golders Green London is Hippodrome (not the West End one) which I believe is where Camel recorded live material 76/77.

London and Liverpool - always get those two mixed up.
    Hey! They both have rivers.

I forgot about all the venues in NYC from my very younger days. Gerde's Folk City, Cafe Wha?, The Electric Circus (on St. Marks Pl.), Free concerts in Tompkins Sq. Park (Blues Project, Country Joe/Fish, Moby Grape-others but don't remember), Cafe A Go Go (capacity about 200 tops) - saw Cream, Jeff Airplane, The Paupers, Clear Light there. Also saw the Byrds (original 5) there (Lothar & The Hand People opening-theramin way before Good Vibrations). Sitting at the next table from my 1st wife Lynda & me was Alan Ginsberg and his "friend" Peter Orlovsky. Lynda & I were tripping, and we suspected that so were they. I will always and forever have the memory of Lynda and Alan Ginsberg dancing together on top of our table to the songs of the Byrds Tambourine Man debut album!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post

I forgot about all the venues in NYC from my very younger days. Gerde's Folk City, Cafe Wha?, The Electric Circus (on St. Marks Pl.), Free concerts in Tompkins Sq. Park (Blues Project, Country Joe/Fish, Moby Grape-others but don't remember), Cafe A Go Go (capacity about 200 tops) - saw Cream, Jeff Airplane, The Paupers, Clear Light there. Also saw the Byrds (original 5) there (Lothar & The Hand People opening-theramin way before Good Vibrations). Sitting at the next table from my 1st wife Lynda & me was Alan Ginsberg and his "friend" Peter Orlovsky. Lynda & I were tripping, and we suspected that so were they. I will always and forever have the memory of Lynda and Alan Ginsberg dancing together on top of our table to the songs of the Byrds Tambourine Man debut album!
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I was at the last Stonehenge free festival in 1984, which is possibly more notorious than famous. I've been to many of the festivals and legendary venues in the UK including the Glasgow Apollo the old Roundhouse, the Hammersmith Odeon, the Wardour Street Marquee club, etc. Abbey Road - I worked in one of the control rooms for a few days and got to look around all of the studios. While I was a child in Nigeria I visited the EMI studios that the McCartneys recorded Band On The Run at (shortly afterwards - though I was regularly lunching at The Apapa Club nearby during the recording). Let's try some more 'interesting' ones:

(Little) Solsbury Hill - Peter Gabriel
    Salisbury (Plain) - Uriah Heep
    Uffington White Horse - XTC, English Settlement
    George's Mountain Grill Cafe, 275 Portobello Road - Hawkwind (renamed)
    The atrium of EMI House, London - Beatles, 1962-1966, 1967-1970 (demolished)
    Lovell Telescope at Jodrell Bank - many including RMI, Bass Communion
    and a double: Haworth - Kate Bush, Wuthering Heights; Pink Floyd - The Wall (railway station, film)

Top of my music location wish list is the Museum of European Art at Schloss Nörvenich which was previously used by CAN during their Soundtracks through Tago Mago period.