Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Top Five Moody Blues albums (studio only)

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I've noticed Octave never appears on these "Top Moodies albums" lists. Is it that bad? I've only heard it once, and thought at the time it was somewhat inferior, but I don't remember violently disliking it.
    "The other side of Life" doesn't show up much either if at all. There was definitely a drop in quality after "Long Distance Voyager" but I think they really hit a low point with "Keys of the Kingdom." Wow, that almost makes Invisible Touch sound like Selling England by the Pound. Sur La Mer at least has mostly pretty good songs on it even if it's poppy and their typical later MOR style but KotK has very little to redeem itself with. Back to the "The Other side of Life" though I think there's some good songs on it and I don't think they released anything after that which was better(I think I might even like it better than "The Present" which I only heard a few times a long time ago).However, I never did hear "Strange Times" so I can't comment about that one.

The first 5 post-Denny Laine albums.
    Last edited by progeezer; 04-13-2015 at 05:58 PM.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Days
    Chord
    Children
    Threshold
    Question
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

On the Threshold of a Dream
    To Our Children's Children's Children
    Every Good Boy Deserves Favour
    In Search of the Lost Chord
    A Question of Balance

1) To Our Children's...

2) EBGDF

3) Days of Future

4) Long Distance Voyager

5) A Question of Balance

I would have included "Threshold" but I've never liked the 3 clunkers in a row on side 1.

EGBDF
    Days of Future Passed
    Seventh Sojourn
    Long Distance Voyager

1. DOFP
    2. OTTOAD
    3. EGBDF
    4. 7th S
    5. LDV

Top 2 "List Moody Blues Albums" Threads:

1) The other one
    2) This one

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    I would have included "Threshold" but I've never liked the 3 clunkers in a row on side 1.
    I hear no clunkers on side 1. "Dear Diary" is close, but it gets coolness points for the eerily leslied vocal. Now Thomas's other song, "Lazy Day" is a bit much. ("Must be lamb today 'cause beef was last week" )

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I hear no clunkers on side 1. "Dear Diary" is close, but it gets coolness points for the eerily leslied vocal. Now Thomas's other song, "Lazy Day" is a bit much. ("Must be lamb today 'cause beef was last week" )
    I was referring to the 2 Lodge songs and the Pinder one on side 1. In my opinion, the worst songs those guys ever wrote on the classic Moodies' albums.

I was referring to the 2 Lodge songs and the Pinder one on side 1. In my opinion, the worst songs those guys ever wrote on the classic Moodies' albums.
    Interesting. I didn't even guess right which songs you meant. I'm mainly surprised by your including "So Deep Within You," which I think is quite solid.

1- In Search Of The Lost Chord (their most psychedelic release- of its time and wonderfully so)
    2- On The Threshold Of A Dream (the 'Have You Heard' suite is stunning, some of the best Mellotron work ever from Mike Pinder)
    3- To Our Children's Children's Children (their most underrated album, but the first I heard so it remains a favourite)
    4- Days Of Future Passed (used to find it a bit orchestra heavy...now I love what Peter Knight did, really gives the album a unique flavour)
    5- A Question Of Balance ('Question' and 'Melancholy Man' are the big ones on this for me, two of the best things they did IMHO)

'Octave' isn't one I listen to very often. The sessions weren't happy (a 'comeback' release that saw off both Mike Pinder and producer Tony Clarke!) and nobody was really coming up with the goods in the songwriting department IMHO.

Have never listened to 'The Present', 'The Other Side Of Life', 'Sur La Mer', 'Keys To The Kingdom' or 'December'. The Denny Laine debut I've never found especially distinctive. There were bands doing the R&B sound better IMHO (The Stones, The Animals, The Yardbirds, Them etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Interesting. I didn't even guess right which songs you meant. I'm mainly surprised by your including "So Deep Within You," which I think is quite solid.
    This one, like 'A Simple Game', was later recorded by The Four Tops.

The two Lodge songs in question are potboilers, but at least they are short. 'Dear Diary' is great!
    Last edited by JJ88; 04-14-2015 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    The first 5 post-Denny Laine albums.
    That's what I said... )

Suspended
    I think I may have said elsewhere, but I'll repeat here: I often find that the weakest songs for me on Moodies albums are the Ray Thomas contributions. I think that's why I like A Question of Balance so much. On that album he seemed to get his act together and he really shines there - no nursery rhyme jingles or songs that sound like something out of a children's puppet theatre show.

Moodies haven't held up for me in the test of time---too low key and there is a sameness to the sound---I do think the great Patrick Moraz did a lot to help energize them---but still they are important and good---and Ray Thomas songs were the weakest to my ears too.

Ray seemed very hit or miss. Some of my favorites of his are:

Twilight Time
    Dr. Livingston
    Eternity Road
    Tide Rushes in
    and of course Legend of a Mind.

Ray seemed very hit or miss. Some of my favorites of his are:

Twilight Time
    Dr. Livingston
    Eternity Road
    Tide Rushes in
    and of course Legend of a Mind.
    I agree. I'd add Our Guessing Game (didn't like it at first, but it grew on me) and For My Lady. I'll even throw in Veteran Cosmic Rocker from Long Distance Voyager and Sorry from The Present as I enjoyed both of those quite a bit.

To me, Eternity Road is the best of the bunch.

To Our Children's Children's Children.....

So, it's for todays kids then?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I found that I was perfectly happy with This is the Moody Blues and didn't feel like I was missing anything.
    My wife decided to get all their CDs at one point but I think she gave up after the Keys to The Kingdom album.

Children
    Question
    Good Boy
    Threshold
    In Search
    The Prog Corner

In Search of the Lost Chord
    To Our Children's Children's Children
    Seventh Sojourn
    Days of Future Passed

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    To me, Eternity Road is the best of the bunch.
    Well, he does have Justin's help with that one.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I found that I was perfectly happy with This is the Moody Blues and didn't feel like I was missing anything.
    Yeah feel the same way.. In high school I owned Days.. but then again everybody had that one.. Then I jumped in with both feet when Moraz joined them and really enjoyed The Present