Thread: Best printers for computer

Best printers for computer

I've been using a dot matrix and it has been fine for black & white docs, but thinking of upgrading. What's a good type printer to get. Ink jet, brands? Thanks

Brother, there is no other

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

I'm using a Canon Pixma MX922.

Don't know how much you want to spend, how much printing you do, etc. but I finally got tired enough of hassling with ink cartridges to spring for a color laser printer. Caught an HP Laserjet 200 M276nw on sale at Staples and used a coupon and got it for under $300. Caught toner on sale and used a coupon for a set of cartridges but I don't print a lot so the toner that came with the printer is still working.

Here's a link to Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/HP-LaserJet-M2...pro+200+m276nw

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    Brother
    +1
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Suspended
    I have a Brother Laserjet, but some people don't like the brand. It serves my purpose OK. The paper feed is not the best - occasionally it won't feed and I have to change the paper or add more - sometimes I have to do this several times before it will feed.

If you want colour you will have to go with inkjet, but from what I hear they become expensive when the inks need replacing.I am prepared to do without colour for the comparative simplicity of a laser printer.

Dot matrix - wow, that brings back memories, mostly unpleasant ones. I recall at uni, reams and reams of printer paper having to be discarded, some of it not even printed on, because of problems with the feed resulting in the sprocket holes being damaged. On one occasion I was attempting to print out an assignment and I gave up in sheer frustration, tucked my floppy disc under my arm, cycled to my place of work several suburbs away and printed it there.

Can you actually still buy a dot matrix? All printers are complete and utter sh!t. When I need to print I just go to Kinkos

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    I've been using a dot matrix and it has been fine for black & white docs, but thinking of upgrading. What's a good type printer to get. Ink jet, brands? Thanks
    Can you still buy ribbon cartridges for those? I think the next step down is pencil and paper.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Can you actually still buy a dot matrix? All printers are complete and utter sh!t. When I need to print I just go to Kinkos
    No longer Kinkos now it is all just Fedex.

Suspended
    Kinko's. I still can't believe that name. I expect it to be some kind of BD/SM club.

"I'll be home soon, darling, I just need to stop at Kinko's for a short time."

"Uncle Kinko is coming for dinner tonight! Why are you crying??" Growing up I had an uncle named Purvis but we just called him Uncle Purv. It didn't seem funny at the time.

Yeah, I can still buy a cartridge for the Panasonic KX-P1123 at a Office Max. It still works pretty good, but I assume it will get harder to find the ribbon/carts.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I don't do a lot of color printing either, but would be nice to have the capability.

"Uncle Kinko is coming for dinner tonight! Why are you crying??" Growing up I had an uncle named Purvis but we just called him Uncle Purv. It didn't seem funny at the time.
    When I worked at the J.C. Penney regional credit office in Atlanta in 69-70 the reference department was on the 2nd floor and it was referred to as "refer" (pronounced "reefer"). I had to suppress laughter every time I heard someone say it.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar

dude-your paper must cost you 100$ a box!
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Yeah, I can still buy a cartridge for the Panasonic KX-P1123 at a Office Max. It still works pretty good, but I assume it will get harder to find the ribbon/carts.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I don't do a lot of color printing either, but would be nice to have the capability.
    you can still get Data Products through companies such as WB Mason, Staples or Quill.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

dude-your paper must cost you 100$ a box!

Well, that's a part of it too, plus I'm upgrading the computer, and the new computer won't handle the dot matrix due to the cables. So I have to move on

Brother or Canon. Don’t even think about any other brands.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I picked up a Cannon. Seems to work pretty well compared to the dot matrix. Thanks for the info. I've heard buying the ink replacements are a bit pricey, but I guess it comes with the territory. I wondered how off-brand replacement ink works in it. Online I've read where the have been problems: leaks etc.

Suspended
    I picked up a Cannon. Seems to work pretty well compared to the dot matrix. Thanks for the info. I've heard buying the ink replacements are a bit pricey, but I guess it comes with the territory. I wondered how off-brand replacement ink works in it. Online I've read where the have been problems: leaks etc.
    A lot of people find the pink tends to run out first...
    (A Terry Pratchett reference)