Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hey there! Prog girl looking for some new music!

Field of Vision's new EP - www.fieldofvisionmusic.com

Anglagard was the first that came to mind after reading your list.

Here is site that should help you make some decisions... http://www.progarchives.com/

If you want some proggressive metal I can help fill your collection...
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rael74 View Post
    Calm down gentlemen...
    Yes, this is a lady on the PE forum, and yes, she has a starwars related username...

DO NOT PANIC... DO NOT PANIC...
    Oh no! What if she likes Jar-Jar?

Check out one of Neal Morse's favorite bands - Gentle Giant. Check out their entire catalog, especially "Octopus", "In a Glass House", "Power and the Glory", and "Freehand".

The Flower Kings (obviously)
    The Prog Corner

IZZ
    3rDegree
    Spiraling/Tom Brislin
    Big Big Train
    and of course, we all unanimously want you to check out Dream Theater...

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffynerfherder View Post
    Hey all! New to the site. 29 yr old gal and musician with a vast taste in music. Recently a friend of mine introduced me to transatlantic, Neal morse and some other good stuff. Looking for some suggestions to fill my iPod up with! Hit me!
    A 29 year old female that like prog? I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this
    Actually, my significant other likes a good bit of prog, though not enough to ask me to play certain things (except Pink Floyd and The Flower Kings).

So, that's my recommendation, The Flower Kings. I'd also go back and check out the grandfathers of the genre, Genesis (1970-1977 or so), Gentle Giant, King Crimson, Yes, ELP, and Pink Floyd if you haven't already. Welcome to the site!

Oh my goodness gracious.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Oh my goodness gracious.
    Excellent choice, but given the ones she's familiar with, probably not the natural starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by Werbinox View Post
    Check out one of Neal Morse's favorite bands - Gentle Giant. Check out their entire catalog, especially "Octopus", "In a Glass House", "Power and the Glory", and "Freehand".
    Certainly the sexiest of all of the bands, those medieval codpieces even get me going
    Making Wikipedia marginally more interesting at:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCul...PXchSo_vDxtcLg

Welcome!

So, looking for recommendations? Um ... That's kinda like asking "So I just heard this band Dead Kennedys, anybody got any recommendations about punk rock?" It's a valid question, but it's much bigger than just giving you a couple more bands. Progressive Rock is HUGE. There are approximately eleventy quadbillion bands out there, in just about as many sub-genres. It might help us to know a little more about where you're coming from.

Like, how familiar are you with progressive rock in general? Are you familiar with the classics (Genesis, Yes, Crimson, ELP)? What about other newer and/or lesser-known stuff (Camel, Marillion, Spock's Beard)? What other styles of music do you like? Metal? Classical? Jazz? Folk? Modern Rock? Punk? World? Electronic? R&B? Just about every genre of music you can think of, has been incorporated into a prog rock band at some point. How "out there" do you like your music? Tuneful and user-friendly, or angular and experimental? Do you prefer vocals (and if so, do you prefer English lyrics)? Averse to any particular vocal or musical style?

Take a look at this rough guide to progressive rock genres: http://www.gepr.net/genre2.html. This should get you well on your way down the rabbit hole.

Good luck!
    flute juice

Its weird how every few months, someone new posts that they are a girl looking for prog, only to vanish and never appear again. Well whatever.

Hey if you're really a prog girl/musician, who else do you like to listen to?

Here's some ones my gf likes, you might too:

Big Big Train - melodic song-oriented prog, very nice. Great vocals, lots of feeling

Cirrus Bay - lovely music, often very beautiful, lots of melody/chords/key changes, decent female vocals

Echolyn - moody, song oriented prog, focus on good songwriting, that can possibly appeal to non proggers

Glass Hammer - often Yes-like well written prog, also good on melody/chords, strong keyboard presence

I'll stop before overwhelming. There's been a whole lot of recommendations already

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffynerfherder View Post
    Hey all! New to the site. 29 yr old gal and musician with a vast taste in music. Recently a friend of mine introduced me to transatlantic, Neal morse and some other good stuff. Looking for some suggestions to fill my iPod up with! Hit me!
    Good recommendations elsewhere. Spock's Beard and Flower Kings are the obvious candidates.

But if you see a guy with username "Scrotum Scissors" pop up with some recs run screaming in the opposite direction. Nuff said.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by arise_shine View Post
    Like, how familiar are you with progressive rock in general? Are you familiar with the classics (Genesis, Yes, Crimson, ELP)? What about other newer and/or lesser-known stuff (Camel, Marillion, Spock's Beard)? What other styles of music do you like? Metal? Classical? Jazz? Folk? Modern Rock? Punk? World? Electronic? R&B? Just about every genre of music you can think of, has been incorporated into a prog rock band at some point. How "out there" do you like your music? Tuneful and user-friendly, or angular and experimental? Do you prefer vocals (and if so, do you prefer English lyrics)? Averse to any particular vocal or musical style?
    Quit interrogating her!

I kid, I kid! Those are actually valid questions. But I think she's been scared off already. If not...

My recommendation is just hang out here, New Prog Musician Girl. There's plenty of info flying around here everyday and lots of sound samples and videos being posted constantly. I think I learn something new here just about every day.

Most importantly... Welcome! Enjoy!

<---another vote for Porcupine Tree......Gateway albums: "Deadwing", "Fear Of A Blank Planet", and "In Absentia"

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I thank God for my beautiful, Prog-loving wife!
    Same -- My wife likes Prog more than I do

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Scruffy, you still there??
    She's long gone...

a hit and run job
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Scruffy, you still there??
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

If I were in a newer band just starting out with an album and I wanted to see how it was trending, I might jump on the PE, say I was a girl just getting interested in prog because it would get a lot of attention, and then see how well my band got represented in the responses.

Just sayin.

Lots of merit in that logic imo, Fred.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

It's pretty funny how this board goes nuts whenever there's a new female member, regardless of how improbable the circumstances.

Anyway, it's nice to see that there were so many offers to help her "fill my Ipod up."

It's a kind and courteous crowd in here.

Scruffynerfherder Scruffynerfherder's Avatar
    Wow! I'm so amazed at all the responses I got! Thank you sooooo much! A little background on the music I grew up with: when I was about 4 yrs old I'd walk around the house singing black dog and little wing. As I got older I listened to queen and beach boys. In my mid 20s I got into joy division new order speech mode etc. I've always listened to a range of music but I go through periods where I explore certain genres. I've been enjoying YEs, king crimson, genesis, transatlantic, opeth Neal morse. Glass hammer. I have a record player and a bunch of YES albums. Man they sound great on vinyl! Analog is the shit! But yeah I'm enjoying the music and digging the quality of musicianship!

Oh yeah, I play keys/piano, sing and write music. I dabble on guitar, but mostly piano.

So there, all you starved old men!

Oh, that's me too.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Now that I know what you play:

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!