Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Modern Day (1990s and beyond) Influential Boundary Pushing Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^

3rd. & the Mortal had their definite starting point in rock (i.e. doom metal), so I would indeed count them in. Ulver, too, correspond with that kind of story - although I have to say that I never really found their total output anywhere near as 'groundbreaking' as, say, that of Toby Driver's or Charlie Looker's. Ulver HAVE made some very interesting music still.

Björk quite obviously started out (professionally, that is) with The Sugarcubes - who were also very much a rock (i.e. post/art-punk) group. The influx of electronica probably shouldn't be perceived as any more diminishing to the overall idiomatic adherence than folk- or jazz-infections were to the rock Identity of King Crimson et al. back in the day.

Of course, if you'd mention Autechre or Squarepusher then I'd agree with you - they are rather electronica artists with a serious influence from rock, rather than the other way round.
    Bjork was in K.U.L.K. before the Sugarcubes too... and they were pretty out there compared to most.

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    ^Most of those weren't mentioned yet because they started out in the 1980s.
    I didn't know that the bands had to actually have started in the 1990s, just that they produced boundary pushing and influential music in that decade and beyond.

Sorry if I misinterpreted the thread.

I see Autechre's "rock influence" as somewhat analog to that of Stevan Tickmayer's solo material - which essentially constitutes pure contemporary composition, of course, but still explores the medium of "rock" from an external viewpoint as part of its internal aesthetic programme. This doesn't necessarily imply that Autechre sound like any rock music that I've heard. You'd might want to say that about someone like Biota, but not of Autechre.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

chalkpie
    Bob Drake!

Sigur Ros

Karda Estra (though perhaps not influentual)

^

3rd. & the Mortal had their definite starting point in rock (i.e. doom metal), so I would indeed count them in. Ulver, too, correspond with that kind of story - although I have to say that I never really found their total output anywhere near as 'groundbreaking' as, say, that of Toby Driver's or Charlie Looker's. Ulver HAVE made some very interesting music still.

Björk quite obviously started out (professionally, that is) with The Sugarcubes - who were also very much a rock (i.e. post/art-punk) group. The influx of electronica probably shouldn't be perceived as any more diminishing to the overall idiomatic adherence than folk- or jazz-infections were to the rock Identity of King Crimson et al. back in the day.

Of course, if you'd mention Autechre or Squarepusher then I'd agree with you - they are rather electronica artists with a serious influence from rock, rather than the other way round.
    I understand your point about Ulver vs. Driver's output, can't even fully disagree. For me personally, they were a revelation in terms of what a "metal" band could produce.

Within about a 2-year period, I discovered 'Leaving Your Body Map,' 'Perdition City' and 'Painting on Glass' and kind of had my own personal boundaries knocked out a few notches.

You mentioned them in another thread, and I'd throw Slint into the mix here as well (just finished listening to Spiderland in fact, and still find it pretty damn interesting). Ditto for Bark Psychosis (although I think Hex might be a late 80's drop).

Any love for Julia Holter here? Not sure how influential she is, but all three of her albums showed some pretty impressive genre stretching (IMHO).
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I second your Mr. Bungle and Sleepytime Gorilla Museum and add Deus Ex Machina, Cheer Accident, Farquhar, and Echolyn.

Quote Originally Posted by Werbinox View Post
    I second your Mr. Bungle and Sleepytime Gorilla Museum and add Deus Ex Machina, Cheer Accident, Farquhar, and Echolyn.
    I was thinking of Echolyn and believe their work is impressive, but I also feel it is derivative.

When reviewing my list I also see a distinct San Francisco Bay Area/Northern California bias as many of these artists originated or relocated to this area. Oakland in particular being home to SGM, miRthkon, and others.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    I was thinking of Echolyn and believe their work is impressive, but I also feel it is derivative.

When reviewing my list I also see a distinct San Francisco Bay Area/Northern California bias as many of these artists originated or relocated to this area. Oakland in particular being home to SGM, miRthkon, and others.
    I thought the same thing, but didn't want to be the first to say. So, agreed - Echolyn not really that "boundary-pushing."

Yeah I don't see Echolyn as pushing boundaries either, but I do give 'em credit for sounding like they're from this century

Also, derivative or no, they're really great and put a lot of work into what they do, so check them out anyway!
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    Yeah I don't see Echolyn as pushing boundaries either, but I do give 'em credit for sounding like they're from this century

Also, derivative or no, they're really great and put a lot of work into what they do, so check them out anyway!
    Agree.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Tool? Influential: there's a lot of copycats, bad ones but nonetheless...but boundary-pushing? Shrug maybe with Aenima (i personally hope they're not afraid to "get weird" again but not holding my breath)...just throwing out names...

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    I don't see Echolyn as pushing boundaries either, but I do give 'em credit for sounding like they're from this century
    Absolutely. They are the only prominent "third wave" (gawd how I hate that nonsensical term!) act that I can keep, and I actually think they've gotten better and better at their specific thing. But they're hardly a band who deal in advanced harmonic constellations, untraditional principles of orchestration or unconventional dynamic concepts etc. If I were to pick one single act to take the ground traces of "classic" 70s progressive consciously into the unforseen aether of development right to this day, it'd rather be Thinking Plague; they are far more distinctly rooted in the outset of Yes/Genesis/KC (et al.) than what many "traditionalists" seem to realize even on hearing Mike Johnson's music.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Umphrey's McGee

If I were to pick one single act to take the ground traces of "classic" 70s progressive consciously into the unforseen aether of development right to this day, it'd rather be Thinking Plague; they are far more distinctly rooted in the outset of Yes/Genesis/KC (et al.) than what many "traditionalists" seem to realize even on hearing Mike Johnson's music.
    I knew you were going to say that and I agree. What makes them different is that the classical influences are 20th century rather than Romantic period. The same is true for The Underground Railroad, though I think they had closer ties with '70s symph prog... and fusion.

Deerhoof
    The Prog Corner

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I wouldn't say Echolyn is boundary pushing, but I don't think they're any more derivative than, say, Radiohead.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Bob Drake!
    Definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Deerhoof
    Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I wouldn't say Echolyn is boundary pushing, but I don't think they're any more derivative than, say, Radiohead.
    The thing about Echolyn, though (and in the early years especially), was that they were attempting rather obviously to follow an already given set of idiomatic ground rules - in their case somewhere between GGiant and Genesis. Whereas I don't think Radiohead ever really did that; although I like the latter well enough, I'm not among those who see them as the 'new thing' - yet they do have a voice of their own, and very much so. And their influence arguably exceeds that of any other post-90s independent rock/pop group.

As for Umphrey's; I think they are good, but if you want to hear a truly refreshing take on the "progressive jam band" thing, check out The American Standard by Dreadnaught.

Not sure if influential but boundary pushing for sure
    Scott Walker & Sun0))))
    Cheer Accident
    Jean Louis
    Zu
    NI
    Radian
    Tyft
    The Nerve Institute
    Poil
    Sonar

^^

Zu have certainly been influential, although one could argue that the period of "progressive noise-punkjazz" has long since expired now. And it's been a few years since Carboniferous - which I loved.

Jean Louis are awesome. PoiL are amongst the greatest progressive bands active today, IMHO.

^^

Zu have certainly been influential, although one could argue that the period of "progressive noise-punkjazz" has long since expired now. And it's been a few years since Carboniferous - which I loved.

Jean Louis are awesome. PoiL are amongst the greatest progressive bands active today, IMHO.
    My 14 year old son has been infected by a case of the PoiLs... haha. I had him listening to Doctor Nerve when he was like 7 or 8 and now he's a big fan of all things RIO - and PoiL are on his list right now nonstop. Nothing makes a proghead dad more proud!

^^

Great things in store for him, then! Wonder what on earth he'll be listening to when he reaches our age...