Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Dorman RIP

Lee Dorman RIP

Iron Butterfly bassist Lee Dorman dies at age 70
    The Associated PressAssociated Press
    Updated: 12/21/2012 08:11:58 PM EST

LOS ANGELES—Lee Dorman, the bassist for psychedelic rock band Iron Butterfly, has died at age 70.
    Orange County Sheriff's Department spokeswoman Gail Krause says Dorman was found dead in a vehicle Friday morning. A coroner's investigation is under way, but foul play is not suspected.

Krause said Dorman may have been on his way to a doctor's appointment when he died.

Iron Butterfly was formed and rose to prominence in the late 1960s. Its second album, "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida," sold more than 30 million copies, according to the band's website. The title track's distinctive notes have been featured in numerous films and TV shows including "The Simpsons," "That '70s Show" and in the series finale of "Rescue Me."

Douglas Lee Dorman was born in September 1942 and had been living in Laguna Nigel, a coastal city in Southern California, when he died.

A message sent through the band's website was not immediately returned.

Lee Dorman RIP

Iron Butterfly bassist Lee Dorman dies at age 70
    The Associated PressAssociated Press
    Updated: 12/21/2012 08:11:58 PM EST

LOS ANGELES—Lee Dorman, the bassist for psychedelic rock band Iron Butterfly, has died at age 70.
    Orange County Sheriff's Department spokeswoman Gail Krause says Dorman was found dead in a vehicle Friday morning. A coroner's investigation is under way, but foul play is not suspected.

Krause said Dorman may have been on his way to a doctor's appointment when he died.

Iron Butterfly was formed and rose to prominence in the late 1960s. Its second album, "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida," sold more than 30 million copies, according to the band's website. The title track's distinctive notes have been featured in numerous films and TV shows including "The Simpsons," "That '70s Show" and in the series finale of "Rescue Me."

Douglas Lee Dorman was born in September 1942 and had been living in Laguna Nigel, a coastal city in Southern California, when he died.

A message sent through the band's website was not immediately returned.

Kinda spooky that an RIP thread is started by someone calling themselves "Gravedigger."

On topic, RIP. Not too familiar with the man's work, but it doesn't sound like the most pleasant way to go.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Now Playing: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

Never been into Iron Butterfly. RIP Lee. I heard the entire version of In A Gadda Da Vida on a juke box about 6 months ago for the first time ever. All 16-17 minutes of it. Always loved the name of this band ... Iron Fucking Butterfly. It's heavy and psychedelic.

Weird. Dave Brubeck died on his way to a doctor's appointment.

Mention of his critical role in Captain Beyond is warranted.

RIP.....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Banned
    I've had the first Captain Beyond album on remastered cd for a long time(bought it used at FYE), but have never listened to it. While trying to make it through my first listen, I turned off the cd fearing that the music would drive me insane. Btw,why did you start two threads, Gravedigger?

Sorry, JIF, I'm still learning my way around here. I combine all the forums for viewing and I originally posted the thread on the Main Board before realizing
    that there is a forum specifically for RIP threads.

It shan't happen again.

Sorry for the two threads.

Damn, I was just listening to Captain Beyond two days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravedigger View Post
    Sorry, JIF, I'm still learning my way around here. I combine all the forums for viewing and I originally posted the thread on the Main Board before realizing

It shan't happen again.
    Nah, no problem, bud.

And I didn't mean anything by my comment, either. But I didn't think it was appropriate to use an emoticon in an RIP thread.

Just found the subject and forum handle to be an interesting combination.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravedigger View Post

It shan't happen again.
    Relax, dude. I'm not a mod. I was just asking a question, as I was confused about which thread I Should respond to.

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    On topic, RIP. Not too familiar with the man's work, but it doesn't sound like the most pleasant way to go.
    I can think of a few that are worse.

RIP Lee Dorman. You played on the coolest album side of all time!

Banned
    wow, just sad. Was he currently in the band? I saw them at one of those Hippiefest shows about 5 years ago - I know Ron Bushy was in the band, trying to remember if Lee Dorman was at the time.

Banned
    sad very sad. Saw them a few years back at a Hippiefest but I don't think Lee was in the band, just Ron Bushy.

meimjustalawnmower
    Fuck it. Somebody has to do it. Might as well be me...

While his time in Iron Butterfly is rock history, his playing with Captain Beyond was much, much more mature and thoughtful (& also a shitload harder).

RIP Lee
    Last edited by progeezer; 12-22-2012 at 12:31 AM.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I guess I'll have to play some Iron Butterfly and Captain Beyond on next week's show. I guess this leaves only Ron Bushy and Doug Ingle left from the classic lineup.

I walked a few miles through the snow as a youngster to buy Inna-Gadda-Da-Vida. Sad day.

R.I.P. LEE DORMAN (Captain Beyond, Iron Butterfly)

Great player, truly nice & generous guy. I'll miss ya !

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainme...r_iron_bu.html

Ah, now I see GRAVEDIGGER already started a thread. So, how do I delete this one ?

This is very sad news. I got the chance to meet him in 1994 in San Ramon,Ca. Iron Butterfly was awesome and Doug Ingle was in the band at the time,which really made it perfect. At the time,I had Heavy on cd and Captain Beyond(jap. issue) and I decided to bring the C.B. booklet so I could have him sign it. When I pulled that out he took a double-take and told me he didn't even know the album had made it to cd. That pic where they're on the rocks,he signed it right above his head. RIP Lee.

When i hear the first side of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida I still can picture myself at my parents home reading books about model railways.

I have my collection Iron Butterfly almost complete. The only one missing is Ball, which is to expensive for my taste.

Just listened to IaGDV last week. What a memory. That album was the second Rock album I ever bought (a loooong time ago).

RIP Lee