Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: GHOST RHYTHMS - avant-jazz progressive band

And here is a thrird text, this one about Kamaloka, which is the free track Cuneiform issued to the public :

3 days to go til the release gig of our new album, Live at Yoshiwara. That means 3 tracks to explore til friday 18 ! Today we'll talk about Kamaloka, which is the fifth track of the disc.
    First of all, here is the link to listen AND to watch the clip (that was directed by Alice Petit from images by Johan Cassagne) :
    https://cuneiformrecords.bandcamp.com/track/kamaloka

Kamaloka is the "desire realm" in the buddhist cosmology. This is, essentially, where we are : we're so driven by desire and so used to have a form (our body) that we keep living again and again in this world when we are born again (we could escape it and live in other realms, but that's not really Buddhism's point, which aims to escape ALL realms).

This term I found in a very bad book, The Secret History of the World, by Jonathan Black (in short : secret societies define the world from day one, etc.). I liked the word, and trashed the book. I kept it for a track, and decided to rework a very old riff I wrote, this time separating the riff in two separate ones (one for the cello, one for the guitar), that combines to form a melody. It is a bit "oriental" as it was really influenced by an Israelian band called Esta (nobody seems to know them anymore, but the guitarist from the band we were in, Camille Petit and myself, a long time ago, made me discover their music, which was great and inventive).

My intention was to give a sense of a seductive, attractive hell, through music. Not something dissonant, but, somehow, a trap that you chose to stay in because you happen to like it.

Rhythmically, the track is a 11 against 8 polyrhythm, which means that you can have TWO pulsations at once, with the same "one" but not the same count before returning to the "one" (I will now take TWO Nurofens). That is patent as the piano keeps a pulse, and when the drums begin, the 8-notes pulse figure of the piano is played against a 11-beat figure on the drums, although they occupy the same "time".
    The drums were written to stress both pulsations at once, with an emphasis on the 11/8 figure, but with some accents belonging to the 4/4 figure (or the 8/8 if you wish). Therefore you'll find those stranges "bursts" of drums accompanied by slap bass, that fall in time with some piano's accents.
    The "oud" sound is in fact made by Nadia Mejri with her cello, using a plectrum, a nice and cool sound ! And of course, you can hear a glimpse of a Pink Floyd homage in the accordion chorus, but no more shall say I !

Fun stuff Xavier, thanks for sharing. Next time I listen, I'll read these descriptions as the track is playing. I got the disc last week and have spun it twice and my wife and I absolutely love it! Incredible this was all recorded live! Also incredible sound quality, given that parts of it were recorded in 1857 and 1916!

Really outstanding work, will definitely be among my top discs of the year, possibly my favorite.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Fun stuff Xavier, thanks for sharing. Next time I listen, I'll read these descriptions as the track is playing. I got the disc last week and have spun it twice and my wife and I absolutely love it! Incredible this was all recorded live! Also incredible sound quality, given that parts of it were recorded in 1857 and 1916!

Really outstanding work, will definitely be among my top discs of the year, possibly my favorite.

Bill
    You're so kind... I'm glad you and your wife like it, as it really is a labour of love !

Here is a first review of the Live at Yoshiwara, from Can This Even Be Called Music ?
    "French progressive ensemble Ghost Rhythms‘s long-awaited live album! I’ve got to say, their studio albums were highly impressive in their own rights, but this live rendition of their compositions is even more so… The project aims at playing around with rhythmic concepts, hence the name, and so it’s something that immediately appeals to me, an outed rhythmophile. This CD is filled to the brim with stellar performances and genius compositions. I mean, it’s on Cuneiform Records, so you know it’s quality, right? Moreover, I’m talking about it, so, go and do yourself a favour!"
    Get yours now !
    REMINDER : if you're in Europe, you can buy directly from the band :
    https://ghostrhythms.bandcamp.com/me...e-at-yoshiwara
    If you're in US, you can buy directly from Cuneiform (and get the digital !)
    https://cuneiformrecords.bandcamp.co...e-at-yoshiwara
    Regards from Paris
    Xavier Gélard (drums) and Camille Petit (keys)

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This space for rent: Well established location. Perfect opportunity for an up and coming smart-ass to benefit from our years of provocation!

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Yes !
    "The music here walks a wide loop around Soft Machine and Magma, Univers Zero and Henry Cow, Miles Davis and Miriodor, Van Der Graaf Generator and Art Zoyd. It's impeccably assembled and played, while freely indulging the more insane aspects of progressive rock, avant-garde chamber music, and electric jazz. "

NOW that's an incredible statement about our music !