Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: GHOST RHYTHMS - avant-jazz progressive band

^ ^ ^

Right. Thank you! You'll get to see my language skills in September, I hope.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Please hold one for me.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Been listening for about an hour now; really nice stuff! You guys can certainly conjure up some moods!

The description threw me. I generally think of "avant-jazz" as Albert Ayler, Cecil Taylor, The Art Ensemble of Chicago or even late period John Coltrane, that sort of thing, which your music sounds nothing like, in fact I find it to be pretty accessible. Actually, I think your stuff is kind of difficult to slap a label on, as unique as it is. To me, that's a good thing, although it can be problematic from a marketing standpoint. Whatever you want to call it, it's just... GOOD! I wish you guys all the best with it; you should be proud of yourselves!
    I hear ya.

Avant-jazz just piqued my interest. When I was reading more about descriptions and other people's impressions I knew it was for me since Claudia Quintet, Nik Bartsch, Softs, and Steve Coleman are squarely in my wheelhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by XavGel View Post
    Hi! Can't wait to hear what you think of it.
    I think it's great and a contender for 2015 for me. Are you generally familiar with the French and Belgian avant-jazz scenes at all? There is some great stuff coming out of both countries. Print, Kami Quintet, Franck Vaillant, Benoit Delbecq, Magic Malik, Aka Moon, Octurn, Jozef Dumoulin, and on and on...

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I think it's great and a contender for 2015 for me. Are you generally familiar with the French and Belgian avant-jazz scenes at all? There is some great stuff coming out of both countries. Print, Kami Quintet, Franck Vaillant, Benoit Delbecq, Magic Malik, Aka Moon, Octurn, Jozef Dumoulin, and on and on...
    Yes, I'm familiar with Benoît Delbecq, Magic Malik, Aka Moon (wonderful stuff they did with Bach, did you listen to that? It's called "Pitié"). The others I didn't quite listen. Magic Malik second album (the one with Steve Coleman) is pure pleasure to me.
    We're a bit more (I am, anyway) influenced by prog than them I think.

And thanks for calling Madeleine a contender for 2015! It's great.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    ^ ^ ^

Right. Thank you! You'll get to see my language skills in September, I hope.
    I hope so... I'll wear a blue hat and yellow shoes. You can't miss me.

Hi everyone. I need some input from you, who already listened to the discs and know it well: in your view, what tune is the more appropriate to use on Bandcamp's Discover feature? I mean, when you go to our Bandcamp page, what tune is more likely to be played first? Thanks for any advice…

Well, I really dig Carlotta Valdez myself. Just getting enough spins in to start to absorb this big slab of music. Fantastic job, Xavier. Very evocative, and image laden music, is some of my favourite music. I like the way that the compostions are unrushed, and given all the time they need to develop. Each song is like a little story unto itself.

Lots of beautiful stuff on here!

neil

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Just ordered, waiting on delivery
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Well, I really dig Carlotta Valdez myself. Just getting enough spins in to start to absorb this big slab of music. Fantastic job, Xavier. Very evocative, and image laden music, is some of my favourite music. I like the way that the compostions are unrushed, and given all the time they need to develop. Each song is like a little story unto itself.

Lots of beautiful stuff on here!

neil
    Thanks for the input and compliments! I'll wait for other advices for making up my mind about which tune to choose. "Each song is like a little story unto itself." Well, I couldn't be more happy!

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Just ordered, waiting on delivery
    Cool, thanks a lot. Waiting for your advice…

I'm utterly blown away by this. New, very vital progressive music and a high achievement in the art of composition. One of the best things I've heard all year. Wow. This is why I keep listening to new music - because every so often something like this comes around and blows your doors off. Adjusts your perspective a bit. What we have here is an artist who uses a fresh palette that is still very accessible - and as you know, that's not an easy thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    I'm utterly blown away by this. New, very vital progressive music and a high achievement in the art of composition. One of the best things I've heard all year. Wow.

Just so you know, for all of you who have bought Madeleine (THANKS! Without your support, we can't continue to make music), we did that :

https://ghostrhythms.bandcamp.com/me...der-vertighost

It's a DVD which synchronizes the album with Vertigo (the movie), as The Dark Side of the Moon can be viewed as a soundtrack for the Wizard of Oz. It's worth seeing, so if anyone is interested, preorders are there!

Yeah, I'm only 2 listens in so far but I'm really impressed and enjoying it a lot. Its got the right blend of instrumental minimalist jazz I enjoy.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

A very nice and kind review by Roger Trenwith for The Progressive Aspect : http://theprogressiveaspect.net/blog...hms-madeleine/
    Check it out!

<bump>

With 2015 for (almost) 2/3 on the way "Madeleine' is still my favorite release of 2015!

Check this album out if you haven't already!

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    <bump>

With 2015 for (almost) 2/3 on the way "Madeleine' is still my favorite release of 2015!
    That's very nice of you ! Thanks.

For anyone interested in Ghost Rhythms' music, you can also look at this :
    https://habitatfarine.bandcamp.com/
    This is my solo project. It's a sequence of six tunes, with a prog/post-rock vibe. A single pulsation, like a star twinkle or a sonar, can be heard all along the EP, and the music is wrapped around it. I hope you'll like it !

I hope you'll like it !
    Well I can't speak for anyone else, but I sure dig it.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Well I can't speak for anyone else, but I sure dig it.
    Thank you !

For anyone interested in Ghost Rhythms' music, you can also look at this :
    https://habitatfarine.bandcamp.com/
    This is my solo project. It's a sequence of six tunes, with a prog/post-rock vibe. A single pulsation, like a star twinkle or a sonar, can be heard all along the EP, and the music is wrapped around it. I hope you'll like it !
    Nice stuff, will probably include it in my next bandcamp order.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Nice stuff, will probably include it in my next bandcamp order.
    That's really nice of you, thank you !

Hello, Ghost Rhythms' friends. Camille Petit's Lady With sideproject just issued his lastest effort, The Lodge, which you can listen to here : https://ladywith.bandcamp.com/album/the-lodge
    I made some drums and guitar works on it.
    Hope you'll like it !

Cheers from Paris.

Xavier

Hello, Ghost Rhythms' friends. Camille Petit's Lady With sideproject just issued his lastest effort, The Lodge, which you can listen to here : https://ladywith.bandcamp.com/album/the-lodge
    I made some drums and guitar works on it.
    Hope you'll like it !

Cheers from Paris.

Xavier
    Spirales piqued my interest, Xavier! (as did Return!)
    Last edited by per anporth; 05-27-2018 at 03:24 PM.