Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: GHOST RHYTHMS - avant-jazz progressive band

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post

It's early, but this my favourite release of 2015 so far!
    That's very sweet! Thanks a lot.

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks for listening and caring...

Have only had time to hear the first disc so far, but it's excellent stuff. Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Have only had time to hear the first disc so far, but it's excellent stuff. Well done!
    Thanks a lot! Take your time, I'd be thrilled to know your advice on the whole double-LP!

Beautiful album..., nice job!

Ghost Rhythms is an appropriate title, the whole thing sounds haunted.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Well, that's the band's name, but whatever.

The album title is Madeleine, which is my wife's name so it's obviously awesome.

Actually, I was waiting for my Madeleine to get home from a business conference in Washington before spinning these discs again - she's a big fan. So they will get some play this weekend. Definitely enjoying this album.

Bill

Best compliment that one can make to us!

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post

Definitely enjoying this album.

Bill
    I'm really happy to hear that. You made happy Ghosts, all of you!

I've had this for a few weeks now and it keeps getting better each listen. Absolutely wonderful stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    I've had this for a few weeks now and it keeps getting better each listen. Absolutely wonderful stuff.
    Great to hear that!!! Thanks !

I've had this on in the car for three days now and am really appreciating all the details.

Being a musician, I'm also enjoying trying to count and memorize all of the shifting time sigs.

Been listening for about an hour now; really nice stuff! You guys can certainly conjure up some moods!

The description threw me. I generally think of "avant-jazz" as Albert Ayler, Cecil Taylor, The Art Ensemble of Chicago or even late period John Coltrane, that sort of thing, which your music sounds nothing like, in fact I find it to be pretty accessible. Actually, I think your stuff is kind of difficult to slap a label on, as unique as it is. To me, that's a good thing, although it can be problematic from a marketing standpoint. Whatever you want to call it, it's just... GOOD! I wish you guys all the best with it; you should be proud of yourselves!

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    you should be proud of yourselves!
    NOW we are ! Thanks a lot ! As you know, music genres are, well, a difficult thing. Someone said we were chamber fusion, some other that Madeleine was "Duke Ellington's King Crimson suite". It's a marketing nightmare, I agree…

Quote Originally Posted by XavGel View Post
    NOW we are ! Thanks a lot ! As you know, music genres are, well, a difficult thing. Someone said we were chamber fusion, some other that Madeleine was "Duke Ellington's King Crimson suite". It's a marketing nightmare, I agree…
    I hear minimalist writing like Steve Reich, ECM-ish jazz like Nik Bartsch, Cuneiform avant/prog/jazz like the Claudia Quintet and even some Pat Metheny inspired chord changes.

It is accessible and melodic , easy to listen to and great driving music.

I hear minimalist writing like Steve Reich, ECM-ish jazz like Nik Bartsch, Cuneiform avant/prog/jazz like the Claudia Quintet and even some Pat Metheny inspired chord changes.

It is accessible and melodic , easy to listen to and great driving music.
    Thank you! You have good ears… I didn't listen (and my compositor partner didn't either) to Metheny a lot. The Claudia Quintet is a favorite, as Nik Bärtsch.

The tracks with accordion give me a Astor Piazzolla-ish feel,at times.That's good!!
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    The tracks with accordion give me a Astor Piazzolla-ish feel,at times.That's good!!
    The accordionist is very good, Alexis Collin. I like him a lot. I was delighted with his chorus on L'Alphée.

Really nice album!

You all should be proud.

Really nice album!

You all should be proud.
    Thank you!

For those of you who didn't buy their previous release, Sept Cercles, when it was in print and we stocked it a few years ago.

While adjusting my beret, I dropped my Gitane and went rumaging around looking for it and found a tiny quantity of this GENUINELY GONE AND OUT OF PRINT CD (tell them Xavier!) in the back of Le Dépot Wayside. And here they are for the last time. Not kidding (unless, of course, I drop more Gitanes...)
    Last edited by Steve F.; 05-23-2015 at 08:34 AM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    For those of you who didn't buy their previous release, Sept Cercles, when it was in print and we stocked it a few years ago.

While adjusting my beret, I dropped my Gitane and went rumaging around looking for it and found a tiny quantity of this GENUINELY GONE AND OUT OF PRINT CD (tell them Xavier!) in the back of Le Dépot Wayside. And here they are for the last time. Not kidding (unless, of course, I drop more Gitanes...)
    The man with the béret and the Gitane speaks the truth : this CD is out of print but you'll find some (something like 15) in his exquisite and wonderful Dépôt. This Dépôt seems to me sometimes as the one in the last picture of The Lost Ark movie : a great great hangar with all the treasures of men and deities. And it's a blessing that he counts us in!

Le Dépôt Exquisite!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Le Dépôt Exquisite!
    In plain french it would be more "Le Dépôt Exquis", as in surrealists's "cadavres exquis"!