Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prog Bands and their "Best" selling Album

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    But albums that predate the advent of "platinum certification" still can identified as such. Workingman's Dead and American Beauty were both certified platinum sometime in the 80's, would be one example.
    ... but only if their sales met that target after the invention of the certification... I think...?

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    It's also funny that the albums WE here at PE consider "platinum" for each group are likely some of the group's worst selling albums.
    I don't know about that. Look at Yes: Fragile and Close to the Edge are very good sellers. What we consider their best frequently sold well too. Although Genesis are an obvious exception...

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    I think Dark Side sold more copies than The Wall but as a double album, sales for The Wall are doubled.
    Wow - if so, that's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Like counting box office receipts for a movie double for a long movie. Was there less incentive to fit double albums onto a single CD because of this?

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    I was just reading a list of Top 20 all time selling records and how many units it sold. So, it got me thinking, compile a list of prog bands "Best"
    selling albums and units. I thought this would be a great thread because of the research involved.I would love to see bands like Camel, Gentle Giant etc. stats. Well, here goes off the top of my head:
    [B]
    Pink Floyd - The Wall(23 Million), couldn't believe it wasn't Dark Side
    Jethro Tull - Aqualung (8 Million)
    Yes - 90125 (7 Million)
    Rick Wakeman - Six Wives(11 Million) WOW, more then any Yes album...
    Where do you get your numbers? In researching for my book pitch I came up with that, since 1973, DSotM has sold over 50 million copies worldwide and spent an unprecedented 741 weeks between 1973 and 1988 on the Billbooard Top 100 chart. Neithe of which The Wall came close to meeting. It was a hugely successful album, no doubt, but I don't believe it has has the longevity and corresponding sales.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    I don't know about that. Look at Yes: Fragile and Close to the Edge are very good sellers. What we consider their best frequently sold well too. Although Genesis are an obvious exception...

Henry
    According to the RIAA Fragile sold two million and CTTE one million. As prog fans we think that's great and it is but it is dwarfed by the massive selling albums by Pink Floyd and even Kansas and RUSH both have a couple of albums that have sold more.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    According to the RIAA Fragile sold two million and CTTE one million. As prog fans we think that's great and it is but it is dwarfed by the massive selling albums by Pink Floyd and even Kansas and RUSH both have a couple of albums that have sold more.
    But according to RIAA, no ELP album made platinum. Yet they sold over 50,000,000 albums worldwide. Heck, it seems I bought at least a million of 'em...

Bob

Suspended
    The practice of counting a double album as two sales is, not to put too fine a point on it, bullshit. If I buy a double album, that's ONE purchase. If the album had been split into two single albums, and I had bought both of them, that would be two purchases, but purchases of two different albums.

This issue has bothered me ever since "All Things Must Pass" was claimed to have outsold any Beatles album. It turned out that that claim was based on counting every purchase three times, because it was a triple album.

I've always been curious as to how many albums the likes of Gong, Caravan, Gentle Giant etc sold in comparison to the 'heavyweights' of Yes, Genesis, Floyd...
    When not wasting time here, wasting time at:
    historyofliverpool.com