Thread: Rubber spindles

Suspended

Rubber spindles

No, it's not a thread about a new post-rock indie band, just a question about the spindles found in CD "jewel-cases" that hold the disc in place.

Of all the jewel-case CDs I have bought, all except two have spindles consisting of plastic flanges, made of the same plastic the rest of the case is made of, hard to get the disc off them when new, and prone to breakage.

The two exceptions have a rubber lug to serve as the spindle, and they are both David Gilmour related: "On an Island", and "The Endless River".

Question: Is this a Gilmour thing? Are there other albums that come like this, witha rubber spindle? Is it associated with certain musicians, or certain labels?

This is the kind of thing that keeps me awake at night.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    The two exceptions have a rubber lug to serve as the spindle, and they are both David Gilmour related: "On an Island", and "The Endless River".

Question: Is this a Gilmour thing? Are there other albums that come like this, with a rubber spindle? Is it associated with certain musicians, or certain labels?
    I have a few other discs that do this, but I gotta say I don't think its an improvement. Bloody hard to get the disc out!

There have been so many innovative packages -- sleeves, books, boxes, tins, origami, etc. I still like the old 3-piece jewel case because the modular design means you can replace broken parts.

A few years back Prestige put out all their John Coltrane recordings in three box sets: one of his recordings as a leader, one of collaborations, and one as a sideman. And the weird part is that even though the boxes were designed to match, each one held the discs in a different way. One had them in slots, one had glued-on rubber spindles, and one had glued-on plastic spindles similar in appearance to the rubber ones but with a flange at the base. Those last were even harder to deal with than the rubber ones.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I have a few other discs that do this, but I gotta say I don't think its an improvement. Bloody hard to get the disc out!
    I find it easier than getting the disc off the plastic flanges on some of the CDs I have bought. Burning Shed seems a particular offender in this regard, and I have told them so. I have spent 10 minutes or so struggling to extricate some of those discs, terrified that I going to pull too hard on the CD and cause it break neatly in half.Other people have said the same about BS.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    A few years back Prestige put out all their John Coltrane recordings in three box sets: one of his recordings as a leader, one of collaborations, and one as a sideman. And the weird part is that even though the boxes were designed to match, each one held the discs in a different way. One had them in slots, one had glued-on rubber spindles, and one had glued-on plastic spindles similar in appearance to the rubber ones but with a flange at the base. Those last were even harder to deal with than the rubber ones.
    I guess they must have reconfigured those, because I have all three and each of them has the rubber spindles.

( Bob, I didn't know what to think when I saw a thread about "rubber spindles" that was created by an acknowledged gay dude. I hereby denounce myself. )

I find it easier than getting the disc off the plastic flanges on some of the CDs I have bought. Burning Shed seems a particular offender in this regard, and I have told them so. I have spent 10 minutes or so struggling to extricate some of those discs, terrified that I going to pull too hard on the CD and cause it break neatly in half.Other people have said the same about BS.
    My copy of Penguin Cafe Orchestra's Concert Program has a crack similar to this, only longer, caused by such packaging.
    It happened the first time I removed the disc from the case. I used scotch tape on both sides to keep it from getting worse.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I've never seen rubber spindles in Jewel cases - only in digibook/"artbook" - type packaging (those little foam rubber disks that the CD hole fits around.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I've never seen rubber spindles in Jewel cases - only in digibook/"artbook" - type packaging (those little foam rubber disks that the CD hole fits around.
    Hmmm, come to think of it you may be right. At any rate, they replace the plastic flanges normally used.

I'm not a fan of Digipaks. Too often, like my copy of Romantic Warriors III, they arrive broken by the mailman and there's no way to repair them. Jewel cases are unduly fragile, but at least you can replace broken parts.

I have the "Side Steps" one (his sideman sessions) and that's the way to do it; have the CDs sitting in pockets. I can't tell you how many CDs I've gotten where the plastic flanges were already broken after unwrapping the packaging.

I'm not a fan of Digipaks. Too often, like my copy of Romantic Warriors III, they arrive broken by the mailman and there's no way to repair them. Jewel cases are unduly fragile, but at least you can replace broken parts.
    You can salvage broken digipaks with these. Just break off any remaining teeth and stick the replacement hub on.

http://www.amazon.com/100-Clear-Adhe.../dp/B001OEX1X4

Suspended
    You can salvage broken digipaks with these. Just break off any remaining teeth and stick the replacement hub on.

I didn't know you could get those! they seem pretty cheap too.

Hmmm - "hub caps" or "rosesttes". that's a better name for them than "spindles".

Replacement spindles are one thing (and handy to have) but the whole plastic inside casing is usually the victim, as it was for RWIII.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I guess they must have reconfigured those, because I have all three and each of them has the rubber spindles.
    Nope, I checked it this AM and Side Steps has the little pockets. The other two have the annoying rubber thingies.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Nope, I checked it this AM and Side Steps has the little pockets. The other two have the annoying rubber thingies.
    I guess you either like rubber or you don't.

Marillion had those with the deluxe edition of Marbles--a hardback book with a small rubber (or maybe styrofoam) circle glued inside the covers for the discs to fit over. I immediately put mine in other cases. I saw a used copy in a record shop once and the CDs themselves were scuffed all over just from rubbing against the cardboard.

There have been so many innovative packages -- sleeves, books, boxes, tins, origami, etc. I still like the old 3-piece jewel case because the modular design means you can replace broken parts.
    Yes. This. I still hate anything that isn't a jewel case.

I find that pressing on the center spindle helps the most, but you're right, it can still be tricky any way you try.

I guess you either like rubber or you don't.
    Every time I think I've got the spindle in the hole, it pops out.

Wow, I didn't know those existed! Interesting... Thanks.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

^^ As long as it comes from a smoke-free household...