Thread: FEATURED CD - Estradasphere : Palace Of Mirrors

FEATURED CD - Estradasphere : Palace Of Mirrors

Per Allmusic:
    While most progressive minded bands (for lack of a better term) pride themselves in mixing and matching unrelated musical genres together, Santa Cruz's Estradasphere take it a step further by inventing and then naming entirely new hybrid styles! Among the crossbreeds slated for inclusion in 2006's Palace of Mirrors: "Romanian Gypsy Death Metal," "Spaghetti Eastern," "Bulgarian Surf," and damn it if these outrageous cocktails aren't masterfully realized in the likes of "Smuggled Mutation," "Six Hands," and "The Terrible Beautypower of Meow," respectively. Also to be found on this wild ride of an album are the industrial noises of "The Unfolding Pause on the Threshold," the beautifully arranged soft jazz of "The Debutante," the far-Eastern-funk-video-game-jingles of "Those Who Know," and symphonic orchestrations both lush, stately and relaxed (see the title track), and swinging, strutting, pouncing and lounging like a Monty Norman Orchestra James Bond theme (see "Colossal Risk"). Elsewhere still, the nightmarish "Flower Garden of an Evil Man" comes off all growling bass and ominous tones, while "Palace of Mirrors Reprise" wafts from polka, to circus music, to music box lullabies, to haunted castle organ music, and, finally, "Corporate Merger" trades in keening Arabic violins for metallic blastbeats and heavy electric guitars during a cathartic finale that's pure post-Mahavishnu (mountain-toppling closer "The Return" is even more intense in that last regard). Oh yeah, and all this without a word -- Estradasphere have gone instrumental on the whole of Palace of Mirrors, which winds up shining an even brighter spotlight on their impeccable and astounding musicianship.
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/palace...s-mw0000467020

Regards,

Duncan

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Well, I wish the first post here would more astute and erudite, but alas it'll be:

Wonderful. A (relativity) modern avant-prog classic.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

"The Terrible Beautypower of Meow" is the best song title ever.

This is the only Estradasphere album I own, and I like it.

It's good.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Good??? This is a work of art, genius, a masterpiece! Is it obvious how much I love this album? I was fortunate enough to see the show they used for the video for this CD and, wow .......

I am a completist for Estradasphere and they don't have a lemon in the bunch.

Eric
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

I love this album.

Never heard it (or them) before, but these guys are all over the map... and I like that in a band. Really good musicians and good stuff!

My favourite of theirs. They were such an amazing live band. I feel fortunate to have seen them.

neil

After learning of their connection with Secret Chiefs 3, I jumped into their catalog with relish. Such an awesome group of musicians. And don't let the metal label put you off. It's not the growly, blast your ears metal.
    Follow this with the Atomic Apes album and you'll be up to date. Can't wait to hear what's next.
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

They have one Black Metal release that kicks ass - it's a boot of a live show. The pedigree of this band is amazing and would be fun to map!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    Good??? This is a work of art, genius, a masterpiece!
    OK then, Eric. It's very good.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Outstanding album, couldn't stop listening to it when it first came out. It was my first and only Estradashere, the others are hard to come by. The greatest of the genre jumpers.

I only own this one and "Quadrapus" ... amazing stuff!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Quote Originally Posted by IMWeasel View Post
    I only own this one and "Quadrapus" ... amazing stuff!
    Hey Wease, have you checked out Atomic Ape? Jason Schimmel is in the band, in fact it might be his band.

Atomic Ape are also awesome!

neil