Thread: Black Crowes - Before The Frost

Black Crowes - Before The Frost

I am spinning this album tonight for the first time in a while and I am struck by how much I enjoy it. In fact I might say that it is the band’s best album. Luther Dickson plays some incredible guitar on it, and I think the general songwriting is really strong. It even has a disco track on it that surprisingly works and is one of my favorite songs on the disc. Any other love for this one?

Steve Sly

I only have their first two and have wanted for a while now to explore more. I really enjoyed those two.

I've heard pretty good things about most of their stuff, but never pulled the trigger.

Didn't this one have some sort of sequel album, or something like that? Is that still available? Is it any good?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Yeah, the original CD had download codes so you could get an acoustic album called ...Until the Freeze.

I really liked these albums. If this is the last we hear from the Crowes, they went out on a high point. I still like Warpaint the best out of the later CDs because it rocked the hardest.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Haven't heard anything after LION (I think that's the title). It was the last album they released before they imploded. I went through a very intense Black Crowes phase about 7 or 8 years ago. I bought all the studio albums up to that point and even got the live album with Jimmy Page. I read all about the personal struggles they were going through and how the two brothers were fighting on stage and all that shit. The Black Crowes are basically the two bros. and whoever else happens to be in the band that week/month. When Warpaint was released I was suprised at how much I didn't care anymore. I just lost all interest in them. I really dig all the albums I have by them. My preferences are the first 3 albums.

I liked this release as well but thought Warpaint was a more accomplished disc. I strongly recommend the Warpaint Live bluray. Excellent show!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I liked this release as well but thought Warpaint was a more accomplished disc. I strongly recommend the Warpaint Live bluray. Excellent show!

Agreed, I just have the regular DVD (not blueray), but it is excellent.

Steve Sly

meimjustalawnmower
    Saw 'em twice on the 2010 tour (Nashville, Atlanta), and they were on fire. The addition of Luther Dickinson really helped to bring the band back to their southern roots after suffering an identity crisis for about 15 years, not knowing whether they wanted to be the Faces or the Dead. The whole feeling was more like a Delaney & Bonnie meets the three faces of Eric Clapton on steroids kinda thing, which I think is a lot more appropriate for the brothers, Rich being very much a rock and roll guy and Chris more of a country/blues influence, while Steve Gorman and Luther kept that sucker on the blacktop. No two shows were the same. No implosion. Only cohesion.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Great album by a great band. Recent albums by the Chris Robinson Brotherhood are good, as well. But only if you can take some Grateful Dead with your Black Crowes.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by meimjustalawnmower View Post
    Saw 'em twice on the 2010 tour (Nashville, Atlanta), and they were on fire. The addition of Luther Dickinson really helped to bring the band back to their southern roots after suffering an identity crisis for about 15 years, not knowing whether they wanted to be the Faces or the Dead. The whole feeling was more like a Delaney & Bonnie meets the three faces of Eric Clapton on steroids kinda thing, which I think is a lot more appropriate for the brothers, Rich being very much a rock and roll guy and Chris more of a country/blues influence, while Steve Gorman and Luther kept that sucker on the blacktop. No two shows were the same. No implosion. Only cohesion.
    I also saw the tour and thought they were in great form.

Steve Sly

This album should be enjoyed with the volume up loud and a couple sticks of Nag Champa burning in the room

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Great album by a great band. Recent albums by the Chris Robinson Brotherhood are good, as well. But only if you can take some Grateful Dead with your Black Crowes.
    And some synths...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    This album should be enjoyed with the volume up loud and a couple sticks of Nag Champa burning in the room

I have this DVD. Another excellent performance!

I only saw the Crows once, back in 1993. Memorable performance!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Good? They're both brilliant. And as for the Crowes, my favorites are Southern Harmony, Three Snakes and Lions.

saw them live many times when they rose to fame during the early 1990s. incredible live band then and probably now. both of us drifted apart musically, though.